Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2002 6:17:31 PM EDT
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, I generally don't pay attention to the "Will the AWB sunset?" threads.  They tend to go over and over the same stuff....

My question is practical.  If I've got a post-ban lower, a pre-ban upper and a collapsible stock, will I be able to assemble them legally after the AWB sunsets next year?  If the receiver hasn't been assembled into anything, I don't see how it would be illegal.

If yes, I just might get the necessary components ahead of time (over the next few months) and take the day off work that wonderful day to build/shoot it!

I'm assuming that there's no Democratic shift in Congress this fall.  Looking pretty good right now, but I'm trying not to get my hopes too high.

I hope this just isn't a dream.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Carbine_Man...Unless there is some congressional voodoo mumbo jumbo in store for us...Yes, parts will again be parts...Bud
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean by "sunset?" Are they going to repeal the '94 assault weapon ban like they repealed prohibition in the '30s?
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The 94 AW ban has a sunset clause.  It will only last for 10 years.  There's nothing to stop the legislature from passing another one, though.  Except Us!

Quoted:
What do you mean by "sunset?" Are they going to repeal the '94 assault weapon ban like they repealed prohibition in the '30s?

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#4]
"Anyone who is under 30, and is not a Liberal, has no heart.
Anyone who is over 30, and is not a Conservative, has no brain."
  - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

VOTE . . . . . AND VOTE REPUBLICAN
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My question is practical.  If I've got a post-ban lower, a pre-ban upper and a collapsible stock, will I be able to assemble them legally after the AWB sunsets next year?

The ban sunsets after 9/13/2004 - not next year.  Yes, after it sunsets, you can configure any rifle with pre-ban features, provided something new and possibly worse doesn't take its place.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Sooooooo,

If I wait, and the day it sunsets, buiild an AR with all the goodies, collapsible stock, bayo lug, you know all the toys, and then they pass another AW ban of a similar nature, am I now illegal or do I now have a new Preban?  Assuming there is not legal sht to specifically preclude us doing that

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sooooooo,

If I wait, and the day it sunsets, buiild an AR with all the goodies, collapsible stock, bayo lug, you know all the toys, and then they pass another AW ban of a similar nature, am I now illegal or do I now have a new Preban?  Assuming there is not legal sht to specifically preclude us doing that

Just keep in mind they still wont let YOU have more than 5 in the mag!

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sooooooo,

UH UH  My sweetie and I are getting married, I am waiting for the VISA, and then I will live in the states, forever. I cannot take her away from her family.

SO I will be able to have whatever is legal in WI, and I think that is anything correct?
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sooooooo,

UH UH  My sweetie and I are getting married, I am waiting for the VISA, and then I will live in the states, forever. I cannot take her away from her family.

SO I will be able to have whatever is legal in WI, and I think that is anything correct?

Well congratulations then!! Load up those 30's!! I have been down here 26yrs now, you will enjoy it very much.

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I love the States, until my car died I was going down every day, sometimes staying for weeks or months, whatever I ocul dhandle with visiting friends.....

And of course WI is also an FA state I think.....

so well, after all is done I am goign to have fun, the lady even has shot in the past and looks forward to trying it again
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I am hoping that any new potential "ban" takes affect at 12:01am (not 12:00am) on 09/14/2004. That will give me one minute to put a telescoping stock and barrel with flash hider on a "post ban" lower. He He He.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#12]
or why not just put a bayo lug on your existing barrel? wouldnt this work?

oz
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top