Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 7:50:18 PM EDT
*UPDATE* I changed Phantom's and now I have a solid MOA rifle shooting from the ground over my pack.  In fact, 200yd groups were sub-MOA with BH 68gr blue box.  I may increase the clearance on the first Phantom when I have time, and do some more tests.  Longer-range tests in good weather are still forthcoming.  During the last shooting session, the jackrabbits tried to storm my position several times, so I regret to say that 5 of them didn't make it back home --- 1 or 2-shot offhand kills between 125 and 220 yards lasered.

Here are some new photos: a new trigger and some High rings and I'll be set.

Well, between too many distractions and really lousy weather here for a while, I haven't been able to give this project the time it deserves.  However, I'm finally on track.  It took a while to find just the right combination of parts, but I think I'm almost there.

Goal: 0-600yd gun with precision capability.  Since I primarily shoot precision anyways, this bent caters to my experience level.  Emphasis was placed on light weight and ergonomics.

What you see is *not* the final version, but very close.  The parts list is what I intend to have in the final configuration.  The lower in the photo is my "testing" lower from a heavy DPMS.

I was *sort of* on a budget for this, and I'm hoping I put the $$ in the right places.

Upper:
Denny's Recon barrel --- 16" stainless, mid-length, mid-weight, 1/7, Wylde chamber, M4 cuts
CMT A3 with M4 cuts and T-numbers
Colt bolt carrier w/"fitted" bolt included with barrel
YHM Lightweight free-float rail mid-length
YHM front sight/gas block assembly (no lug)
Muzzle device: to be determined (see discussion below)

Lower:
Bushmaster receiver
G-27 grip
Magpul winter trigger guard
Chip McCormick Curved 2-stage trigger
A2 stock
Eagle stock pack

Sights:
Narrow National Match front sight post
Matech 600m BUIS
GG&G FIRE Scout rail
High TPS TSR aluminum rings (mediums shown)
2.5-10x NXS NP-1 reticle

Discussion:

The hardest thing to pick really was the stock.  I had a few collapsibles already, like an M4, old-style carbine, and ACE SOCOM.  I never would have thought of going back to the A2, except the lower I used for break-in and testing has one.  It is actually a very comfortable stock with the Eagle stock pack attached.  For CQB purposes, it should work fine as long as I don't put an extended butt plate on it (like the one in the photo).  I'm not gonna jump on the PRS bandwagon until I get to actually shoot with one.  I like the simplicity of the A2, as well as the storage ability.  It can't be beat for precision work either, as long as you remove the rear sling loop.

Balance is simply awesome just as it sits.  It REALLY was nice when I had a 1" Leupold 4.5-14x40mm on there, as the NXS is like twice as heavy or something.  Just that factor alone really makes one consider a smaller, lighter Leupold, but I like the NXS illumination and rugged nature.

Break-in was a PAIN, because I did not have the optics set up the way I wanted yet, and I had accuracy troubles from the first round.  I mean like 5MOA with 55gr and 3MOA with 69gr!  I knew somthing was wrong, and it took a couple trips to the range to get it all figured out.  Turns out the Phantom FH was the culprit.  Shooting 5-shot groups with it on, and then off, I went from a 2" spread at 100yds to a 0.75" group.  I did that twice, with identical results.  With the flash hider in place, it would place a couple really close, and then toss one.  I've tried it with minimal torque, and no luck.  I'm gonna have to find a better muzzle option.

Right now, as pictured, it will shoot 0.75MOA all day (seriously) resting on my pack.  I will eventually get it to a bench, but will likely be shooting at 300, because the NXS has fixed parallax, and it's not set at 100 ;-).  

This afternoon I took it out and got my 600yd zero.  After figuring out that I needed 19MOA correction using 69gr Black Hills, I was able to keep it on my 17"x10" reactive steel target at 600yds in 25*F weather.  Shooting from the prone position grasping the front of the magwell, no front rest....

Yeah, I think I'll keep it.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
mine has a vortex with no ill effects and i have a magpul m93b on mine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Scotty,
Nice looking rifle! Glad to see you finally got some good weather to get out and shoot it! I kind of wish I was still down there, weather has been pretty bleak here in WA.

If you want to try out a Vortex, let me know... I have one you can try out, just IM or email me your address and I can send one down to you for you to try and see if it makes any difference.

Good luck!
Dave

PS: ' Misplaced Boltgun Fanatic'...

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here are a couple of things you may want to try.  I have had a few Phantoms with clearance problems.  You might want to try opening up the Phantom where the bullet passes thru, some are a little tight and the round can tick it.  

If it is to be a dedicated scoped rifle you may want to contact me for a set of Badger Ordnance Ultra High Aluminum rings.  By mounting the rings directly to the upper you eliminate the possibility of having an intermediate part causing problems.

Here is a pic of my SAGE EBR M14 with Badger aluminum rings as supplied to the SEALs.
globaltactical.com/_img.upload/EBR%20SAGE%20001.jpg

Great looking build and good shooting.

Denny

...drool...

You want to sell that thing? :)
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats a nice lookin shooter Scotty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow that is nice! I am getting ready to build my first upper, and that is the barrel I am going to use. Very nice upper, good job.

mimikamimi
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#7]
thats nice
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Denny --- I will look at the Phantom diameter.  Not sure whether it's a clearance problem, a gas-exit pattern problem, or a barrel harmonic problem.  I need to throw some time at it.  BTW---I had full faith in your barrel the whole time, just not in my assembly technique ;-)  Once I get it squared away, you can expect me to post some groups from long range...
Nice M14 --- wild.

RE: Ultra-high rings --- I've actually got some NightForce Ultra-Highs, and could probably make it work that way.  I just wanted the flexibilty of an extended rail so that all my other optics (all larger) that are mounted on Picatinny-spec bases would potentially interchange.  The GG&G base will be locked down tight, and if I do something that will bust it, I'd be needing to remove the scope anyways....  

Dave --- Dude, I was thinking I needed to email you the results, but it looks like you've beat be to the punch.  I might take you up on your Vortex offer, but I really want to have something that reduces dust from the prone position.  The standard A2 is darn near useless on a short tube, and brakes just plain suck on a .223.  I'd probably shoot it plain with a thread protector before going to a brake.  The commercial Black Hills isn't exactly what I'd call high-intensity anyway.  Let me give it some more thought, and maybe a trip to the range.  I'm hoping that Denny's right about close tolerances on the Phantom, 'cause otherwise I really like 'em.  Good to hear from you, for sure.

Scotty

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Scotty - real nice looking build (great looking barrell Denny), but is that a G27 grip? Looks like a Houge or maybe an Ergo to me...

Actually, from the original post:

What you see is *not* the final version, but very close. The parts list is what I intend to have in the final configuration. The lower in the photo is my "testing" lower from a heavy DPMS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Denny-

Those are SEAL rings?  I thought it was dolphins who jumped through rings, not SEALS...

Oh well...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Heheh, that rail was actually on a different upper before this one.  My standard procedure is to test-fit, then add some green Loctite and tighten the ring with a chisel-tip punch while a long rail device (such as the GG&G Scout or a carry handle) maintains alignment.  Much easier and more precise than a wrench which can slip.  I must've used a wee bit too much Loctite, because I almost didn't get it apart.    I backed off this time, but believe me --- that rail's going nowhere ;-)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Denny

Cool M14.  What's the story on the gas cylinder?   As I look at it I'm thinking non-standard unless that's your op-rod and it just matches so well it looks like part of the gas cylinder.  If that's the case, why is the stock's forend not in line with the gas cylinder shim?  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Here are a couple of things you may want to try.  I have had a few Phantoms with clearance problems.  You might want to try opening up the Phantom where the bullet passes thru, some are a little tight and the round can tick it.  

If it is to be a dedicated scoped rifle you may want to contact me for a set of Badger Ordnance Ultra High Aluminum rings.  By mounting the rings directly to the upper you eliminate the possibility of having an intermediate part causing problems.

Here is a pic of my SAGE EBR M14 with Badger aluminum rings as supplied to the SEALs.
globaltactical.com/_img.upload/EBR%20SAGE%20001.jpg

Great looking build and good shooting.

Denny

Ok Denny how much for one of those?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Updated with new photos --- see first post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top