Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2007 6:10:33 PM EDT
I am in the process of building my first ar, and as such am trying to get a grasp as to where I am heading with its build. It will be a 16" m4 style, I am pretty sure I will be going with the DD Omega rail system, and I am also considering a Sabre Defence barrel. though my options are still open on that. Vltor MUR upper on a Bushmaster Lower with Timney 4lbs Single stage trigger.

My question is.. What kind of buis (both front and back) would be a good choice. Keeping in mind that I want the front sight to be a flip up gas block, I do not want rail mounted front sights.

I suppose my biggest problem is trying to find which one I would like best. that would work together. I am unsure if I could get a troy buis with a YHM Gasblock front sight and have them line up and be of use. Or for that matter keeping elevation adjustments in play and going with a standard a2 buis, as eventually I would like to get an EOTech though it wont be for several months.

I have been reading these forums for days but without being able to search any more then 30 days prior I am not finding all the answers.

Essentially I am looking for buis that will line up with a gas block front sight that will give me good accuracy from 0 to 600. Though I know this is also dependent on my barrel/ammo/loadout/skills/luck.

Anybody have any suggestions/links to places that have information for me to look at, or any suggestions on which ones to go for? Or look into?

I would greatly appreciate any and all information anybody could give me.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an ARMS, Troy, MI, GG&G...
I like the GG&G the best out of the group. I'm getting a new upper with PRI front and rear sights in any day now, we'll see how those do. $240 for the pair

This is only my opinion, I'll leave it to the experts to dish out the substantial info.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll tell you how I build rifles:  I select a rifle configuration that's an issued weapon with US or other friendly forces and build according to its specs as much as is possible.

I COULD just build it any way I pleased, but it's more fun for me to make replicas of specific
versions that are used by our troops and allies.

I've begun acquiring parts for a Mk 12 Mod 1 rifle and intend to start putting parts together
within the next few weeks, if all goes well.

Getting some experience by building standard models is recommended, before you start
off on your own custom version.

I'd recommend starting with a basic M4gery, or A2, A3, or A4 clone, and then branch out from there.    Get familiar with the rifle by making a standard baseline design first,
before getting really specialized.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Dura I have looked at all of those options but I cant decide which one as I want gas block front sights hts

CJ. Thanks for the tips though I do disagree on the basic build, In my opinion it would cost so much more to build a basic rifle then have to turn around and spend more money to customize it. I understand were you are coming from. I too have thought about building a gun to specific specs. he
Here is a thought, are there any 1913 gas blocks that would be the same height as the DD Omega rail? if so I could get away with a rail mounted sight. Any thoughts on this?

On a side note I allready have built the lower reciever with the Timney and everything else, I am waiting on the UBR, and then onto the upper, though I might get my Vltor MUR first if Magpul is still working on the stock when tax return rolls around.

Merc.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The way I see it, if you build a basic A2 clone first and then build something else,  when you're done you've got two rifles.   I don't see a problem with that.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#5]
thats true Honestly

The way I see it I better slurge on my first gun/build just incase have
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The More I read the more I am liking the GGG Setup. The a2 backsight and the flip up frontsight gasblock. Anybody have any experience with this setup? How well does it zero and maintain?

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top