Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 9/1/2015 2:57:28 PM EDT
I'm looking for direction for my Colt 9mm Build. I actually wish I could find the link of one share back at the 1st of the year as it was a fairly cool set up.

So far the Core Parts that has been collected for the build are..
NDS 601 Lower
Early Colt 9mm A1 Upper
16" Carbine Barrel- Pencil
Type D & Colt N Marked Car Stocks for use
6 Hole HG's & Riffle length to choose from

Originally I had planned to build a basic 9mm carbine, but after just finishing up a XM177E2 build and remembering the other 9mm link, I've started leaning towards a 604.5ish maybe either in full length rifle hand guards or cut down for a mid length.
There has to be others out there that has done a fun 9mm project or two that could share some pictures or ideals I could use. Right now the main limiting factor is I'm not wanting to chase a SBR build...I may do that down the road but not now.

Any Ideas on a direction for this project?

" />

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:20:43 PM EDT
Nice parts,

I'm in the early stages of my first 9 mil build. I would suggest maybe a DOE, but you don't wanna SBR (maybe pistol it?). I've got my hands on a Colt  "C A" 9mm upper and a 16 inch colt barrel. Prolly just gonna do a 6450 build from Colt parts (I'd like an SBR, but the time isn't right), resulting a nice little carbine that'll be cheaper to shoot than my 6920. Gotta get my hands on some Colt slim hand guards and LPK, i gotta figure out the hammer.....ive seen both 5.56 and smaller hammers on Colt 9 mils. Good luck deciding and working on your build

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:14:37 PM EDT
I assembled this one from a de-milled Colt SMG.  The lower was already a RSBR originally in 5.56.  It has a worn finish, but the internals are in excellent condition and it shoots great.  The mag is a modified UZI. I picked up 10 of them new in the wrapper for $6.00 each and modified them myself.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:18:45 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fortis120:
I assembled this one from a de-milled Colt SMG.  The lower was already a RSBR originally in 5.56.  It has a worn finish, but the internals are in excellent condition and it shoots great.  The mag is a modified UZI. I picked up 10 of them new in the wrapper for $6.00 each and modified them myself.  

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt118/fortis120/9mmAR_zpsfaf51602.jpg
View Quote

This^^^^^^
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:30:06 PM EDT
The Mrs. says it makes for a great camp gun.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:03:44 PM EDT
Fortis,

If you don't mind sharing, how did you modify those Uzi mags to feed well in the colt?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:28:38 PM EDT
I slid the mag block over the mag until it was snug and penciled in the mag catch opening and then cut it with a dremil tool.  The attached video is similar to what I did but required actually measuring the mags.  I used a Hahn Top mount mag block on my gun, so the Colt one that came with the kit was available for a template.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSLgZIGxFA
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:39:17 PM EDT

I slid the mag block over the mag until it was snug and penciled in the mag catch opening and then cut it with a dremil tool.  The attached video is similar to what I did but required actually measuring the mags.  I used a Hahn Top mount mag block on my gun, so the Colt one that came with the kit was available for a template.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSLgZIGxFA
View Quote
thank you sir! you da man

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:44:11 PM EDT

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt118/fortis120/9mmAR_zpsfaf51602.jpg
View Quote

Nice. Goin' Commando...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:37:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 11:39:35 PM EDT by Trimdad]
I can help if you need DOE inspiration ... Maybe you could make a mid length DOE?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:04:32 AM EDT
Man I love the looks of those short barrel machines, that's what I really want, I just don't really know about legally how to get there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:17:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By getchasum:
Man I love the looks of those short barrel machines, that's what I really want, I just don't really know about legally how to get there.
View Quote

The process isn't that bad . Find a local class 3 and they will
Help get the paperwork started. 200$ and a little time later and your in biz .
You can build it as a pistol and shoot it while you wait on your stamp.
Once approved you can slap a stock on it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:19:35 AM EDT
I was going to say DOE file form whatever for an SBR, get a trust first to do it through, so no finger prints, pictures, Leo sign off,etc.  That's what I eventually will do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:40:17 AM EDT
I say build a faux 605 out of it if you didn't want to go the SBR route. You don't need the gas system anyway so pin a FSB on at the rifle position on a 16 inch barrel to hold the hand guards and give you a longer sight base and use your rifle HGs and fixed stock. Makes for a handy carbine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:34:43 AM EDT
A 9mm 605 would be pretty cool. A 9mm mid length 607
Would be pretty cool too
Top Top