Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2020 11:43:32 AM EDT
I cant decide if I want to build or buy a new upper. I have built in the past and have bought a fully assembled rifle as well.

For assembled uppers I am looking at a Radian MOD 1 or a Geissele URGI, but there is like one thing about each that I would swap (I dont want to pin/weld muzzle device on the 14.5" URGI but I really like the Geissele rail, and I dont need a bolt or changing handle like the radian comes with). The attractiveness of buying a complete upper is that the fit and finish will most likely be better than if I built, but like I said I would still be spending like $250 more to swap a piece that I want, putting the total price at like $1200 to $1500.

If I build I would get:
geissele mk13 rail
FN CFH lightweight barrel or criterion barrel with similar specs
silecerco ASR flash hider
BCM bolt (already have)
Radian raptor charging handle (already have )
not sure what upper receiver, maybe a VLTOR MUR

I have built 3 or 4 upper in the past and have all required tools, do you think that the fit and finish will be similar to buying a complete upper?

this will be going on a Colt lower that I already have

Opinions?

thank you all
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Build what you want
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
radian sells their upper chassis’ that come with the rail, upper, charging handle, and barrel nut. I did this and put a Larue barrel in it and built it out how I wanted to. It ended up being less than a completed built upper by them by quite a bit and it’s what I wanted.

Pics because why not. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#3]
$1500 for an upper is in used brand-new Knight's territory. I prefer the Mod 2 Carbine over a URGI, FWIW. No experience with Radian.

Kelly Enterprises Mod 2 16"
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Geissele isn't Gucci.

Find an upper that's configured to your liking, or build. Fit and finish is as good as the parts you choose.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geissele isn't Gucci.

View Quote

Neither is Radian.......
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Everyone's definition of a "gucci" upper is going to be different. Hodge, KAC, Noveske, Triarc, list goes on and on and everyone's list will differ.

I would define the purpose of the upper receiver and what you want to do with it. I would also be factoring in the cost of a sling, light, optic and mount if you haven't done so already.

Is there a possibility of selling the upper receiver in the future?

This is going to be a financial investment no matter what you decide on, so if there is a possibility of selling in the future...I would go with KAC. That upper receiver will retain more value than the aforementioned. It comes with a rock solid bcg and iron sights. Also, that's just my opinion- take it for what you want.

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
You should have it built by the best gunsmith who has the best set of stencils and stamps who can and will stamp and stencil the word gucci to your custom build.

Good luck and enjoy the process.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like you either need a kac upper or a triarc/solgw upper as they are configurable as far as every piece on it. All three would be "gucci" imo
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like you either need a kac upper or a triarc/solgw upper as they are configurable as far as every piece on it. All three would be "gucci" imo
View Quote

KAC, Gucci? LOL....what planet are you from.

I'm not all opposed to Gucci builds...I have a few myself. Because why not? I've got a dozen no-BS ready to go battle rifles. If you want something flashy for the range or to play with, show off, whatever....go for it.

OP, what you listed isn't really "Gucci" IMO.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
build what you want.
thats not gucci btw, those are quality parts, put together in a good way.

im building a 12.5 the same specs as you. couple changes
12.5 criterion CORE
SLR HDX 7075 rail
SOLGW bcg
raptor charging
aero m4e1 upper
SLR titanium GB and their gas tube
SilencerCo ASR flashinder

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]
^^^ the above comments are exactly what I meant by saying everyone has their own definition/opinion of "gucci".

So I'll break it down for all the boomers in here.

Gucci is an Italian luxury brand that is synonymous for high quality goods and craftsmanship.

Using this term in context to refer to rifles would mean you are referring to rifles constructed of high quality parts that were put together by superior gunsmiths (also reflecting high qa/qc).
That would make brands like KAC, Radian, Noveske, Hodge, etc list goes on and on to fall under the category of "gucci" rifles. Again, everyone has an opinion--people's opinions on quality differs.

You can also build a "gucci" frankengun by selecting the right high quality parts to go into your build. The selection of parts usually reflects how well the rifle is tuned and how it performs. (Again, opinions will vary).

I believe the OP is not referring to a rifle that is cerakoted in sparkles and then dipped in gold flake with shiny red lower parts, violet buffer tube, pink stock, and Flavor Flav's chain dangling from the handguard.

Also, this is just my opinion

Build what you want and run it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
KAC isnt gucci...but it is the best.

I'd up the budget and get a kac....or a geissele super duty if you just couldnt swing the price of the KAC.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I mean high tier not flashy
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
^^^ the above comments are exactly what I meant by saying everyone has their own definition/opinion of "gucci".

So I'll break it down for all the boomers in here.

Gucci is an Italian luxury brand that is synonymous for high quality goods and craftsmanship.

Using this term in context to refer to rifles would mean you are referring to rifles constructed of high quality parts that were put together by superior gunsmiths (also reflecting high qa/qc).
That would make brands like KAC, Radian, Noveske, Hodge, etc list goes on and on to fall under the category of "gucci" rifles. Again, everyone has an opinion--people's opinions on quality differs.

You can also build a "gucci" frankengun by selecting the right high quality parts to go into your build. The selection of parts usually reflects how well the rifle is tuned and how it performs. (Again, opinions will vary).

I believe the OP is not referring to a rifle that is cerakoted in sparkles and then dipped in gold flake with shiny red lower parts, violet buffer tube, pink stock, and Flavor Flav's chain dangling from the handguard.

Also, this is just my opinion

Build what you want and run it.
View Quote

Thanks for this, you read my mind

I don’t mean flashy. I intend to use for classes, competition, self defense, and for fun. I mean as high high tier as possible. I now am leaning on just buying a full rifle but. Either the radian mod  1 of KAC sr 15 mod 2. I like the KAC more on paper but I like the looks of the radian. Plus the radian is in stock lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don’t mean flashy. I intend to use for classes, competition, self defense, and for fun. I mean as high high tier as possible
View Quote

the KAC is what you want then.

dont compromise for "its in stock now" when you can do a little searching and find the KAC in stock as well. The 14.5 upper is in stock and so is the 16" upper. my personal favorite is the 11.5 but id take the 14.5 close second.

you can also build something for a ridiculous price but it will never have the features that the mod 2 has...unless you luck out and find a kac barrel/barrel extension for sale unused.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Building your own insures that you end up with what you wanted. You rarely save money, but end up with a better barrel and float tube.

If you want world class accuracy buy a "service rifle" upper from White Oak Armament. You can pick a Krieger, Bartlein or Shilen barrels and a Gieselle float tube for around $1100.

The barrels alone are around $500+. Seriously, if you aren't going to shoot match grade ammo this level of quality is wasted on GI ball.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I can shed a little light on the differences between the Radian MOD1 and KAC MOD2 14.5" uppers. I can't speak to Geissele rifles, as I don't use them (I do use some of their parts).

The rails are very different, in the pics below you can see the KAC (top) has MLOK available on every angle whereas the Radian only has MLOK available at the 3/6/9 positions. The KAC rail also feels a bit more narrow than the Radian. The gas systems are also going to be different, the KAC gas system is proprietary midlength and uses a locking ring to secure it into place; the Radian is a standard midlength that uses two set screws on the block, it did not come pinned. The KAC uses a chrome lined, 5.56mm NATO barrel, the Radian uses a Match Grade 416R Stainless Steel Barrel w/ Polished Crown and Feed Ramps, Chambered in .223 Wylde/5.56 NATO.

The top of the rails are quite different - the KAC is a standard pic rail, the Radian is scalloped

You can see that the method utilized to mate the handguard to the upper is also quite different due to the upper design choices. The KAC utilizes a standard upper design that can be used with a variety of handguards; the Radian upper is designed to work exclusively with the Radian handguards

The Bolts are also going to be different. KAC utilizes a proprietary E3 bolt and the Radian uses an Enhanced Black Nitride M16 Bolt Carrier Group.

They are both nice uppers in different ways, that bring different benefits depending on what you want to do. If I had to choose one to put on top of a Colt lower, I would go with the KAC.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top