Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 10:30:15 PM EDT
Sorry for the dumb question: does the buffer tube, buffer, and spring need to be lubed?  For some reason, to me it just doesn't look like it should be, but I've been wrong many times before.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Lube the thing LIGHTLY!!!

Not to the point it's dripping, but a light film in the tube, and on the spring and buffer.

any more, or less, will lead to "Issues".

S-28
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
i usally put a very light coating of oil on the spring but thats it.
how they showed us at basic.  take it for what its worth.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
A Couple drops of oil
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
None gives ya rust, too much makes a mess, everywhere.

Very little.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:20:10 AM EDT
[#5]
2 oz of tetra, excess comes out the end and that dame cheap noise is gone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a shaving brush for oiling down the parts. I put CLP on the shaving brush, then brush it around. It gets in all the little places that a rag doesn't. If you want to remove most of the mess left over, just use a rag.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
There was an exstensive thread in build your own, some say you need moly grease, some say loc-tite, some say nothing.  I say nothing, when you take it apart you won't have a mess.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I just wipe it out when I clean with a dry paper towel.  Then wipe down the spring and buffer lightly, with a patch wet with CLP, and re-assemble.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Lube not necessary.  It will just attract dirt and cause early excessive wear inthe buffer tube.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The directions that came with my Bushy said to grease it. So I greased it.  It makes a difference in the sound from the spring, and feels smoother to me when shooting. The grease doesn't fly all over the place or make a mess.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
2 oz of tetra, excess comes out the end and that dame cheap noise is gone.

BINGO!  No grating noise when charging, no sproing sound when firing and no rust.  I just clean out the old Tetra grease and replace with new every 5th time I clean the gun.  I cant see it EVER causing a malfunction and have never heard of it either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Some of you guys are mistaken. How exactly is lubrication going to lead to extra wear, as opposed to none?  And how are you going to attract dirt and crap into your receiver's buffer tube? Maybe if you regularly break open your receiver halves in a dust storm or roll around in the dirt with them open you could get some dust and dirt in there. Even then, you've got that big buffer in the way almost completely blocking anything from getting in there. Yeah there's that drain hole in the rear, but it is VERY unlikely for anything to find it's way in there. Yeah carbon gets in the tube and into the grease, but it doesn't affect anything.

I live in Arizona and shoot in the desert exclusively and had my buffer spring heavily and then lightly covered in axle grease for FOUR years and about 5500 rounds without cleaning the buffer system and it and never had a single problem. The entire rifle has worked flawlessly. And yes I've gone prone in the dirt to shoot. I had to clean out the dust/dirt from the hollowed out area of my fixed collapsible stock after shooting each time. I recently got a new buffer spring with the collapsible stock I bought and lightly covered it in grease too and reused my old H buffer from my old pinned/glued stock. No issues with the new spring/stock either.

If you don't think it's necessary, then don't do it, but you shouldn't start making infactual statements to people.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top