Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 1:50:57 PM EDT
I bought my AR15 used, and it came minus the buffer retainer spring. Having just gotten a new spring, I am assuming that I'm somehow installing this incorrectly. The buffer retainer gets jammed into the bolt every time I assemble it. Is the buffer retainer supposed to sit against the front of the buffer? Is it supposed to be fixed into the buffer retainer hole somehow? It comes out freely.

Thank you.
GoodFellas.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to unscrew the buffer tube (the tube that the buffer rides in) a ways. Install the buffer retainer spring and the retainer over that...push it into the hole, screw buffer tube back on all the way...the tube will go over half of the retainer, holding it in place.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That makes perfect sense. Guess I just need to wait till my stock wrench comes in. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
It will be 1.5 weeks till my stock wrench comes in. Is the rifle operational without the buffer retainer? It appears the only function is to prevent the buffer from springing out during breakdown.

Thanks,
Goodfellas
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is the rifle operational without the buffer retainer?

Yep. So long as you remember it's missing when breaking open the rifle, you're good to go.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top