Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/19/2005 7:13:35 AM EDT
Just put the first 40 rounds through my new 24". I mounted a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44. After boresighting the scope I took it to the range. The first 10 rounds were fired from 1 round magazines (20 rd. steel loaded with 1 round). The first three shots were MOA, high and left. I adjusted the scope, and fired three more rds. Just out of the black, MOA. Another adjust, and everything else went in the black. One five round group was .450"! I was shooting off of a POS plastic stand. Function was perfect for all 40 rounds, although I only loaded a max of 5 rounds in the mag. All rounds were at 100 yds. using Federal Gold Match 168 grain and Remington Match 168 grain. I won't have a chance to shoot at longer range for a couple weeks, but this thing can only get better with complete breakin.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:35:45 PM EDT
Agreed!

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:39:17 AM EDT
I just got mine yesterday and I need to put a quality scope on it because a $1000 rifle deserves one, if for no other reasonhat
Just for the record I've never cleaned a rifle after every shot and probably never will. Either way nice grouping!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:26:16 PM EDT
thanks Marine! I'm pretty proud of that group. I don't follow the 'break in' instructions.....ever. They might as well call 'em 'wear out instructions' because all it does is erode the sharp edges of the rifling faster.

I clean the bore thoroughly when I buy a new or used gun, then go shoot the hell out of it. The bore gets cleaned with a boresnake and some copper solvent about every 100-200 shots, but that's about it....speaking of which, I shot it yesterday and it's awaiting some TLC. Good thing modern surplus isn't as corrosive as it used to be.

(btw, this particular rifle has a little over 3000 rds thru it now, and it's shooting as good or better than it did new)
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:30:32 PM EDT

I clean the bore thoroughly when I buy a new or used gun, then go shoot the hell out of it. The bore gets cleaned with a boresnake and some copper solvent about every 100-200 shots, but that's about it....speaking of which, I shot it yesterday and it's awaiting some TLC. Good thing modern surplus isn't as corrosive as it used to be.

(btw, this particular rifle has a little over 3000 rds thru it now, and it's shooting as good or better than it did new)

Like wise, I use the bore snake, its cool and very easy to use you dont need all those patches and rods.

I love my DPMS, talk about power and accurate.

I have a Millette scope on mine, it came with it and sweet it is !
Top Top