Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 11:49:22 PM EDT
Just as a word of caution to any of ya'll using it. Be very careful while using it. I was cleaning my Ar a this morning on the carport, with my truck parked near by. Some of the overspray hit the porous plastic grill and left some nasty white crust on it. Some sort of reaction with the plastic I guess. But it will come off, I used a 12 ga bore brush and it scrubbed off. I tried everything before to get it off, but the bore brush was soft enough, yet stiff enough to break it loose and knock it off.

A really useless post I know, but just wanted to warn my fellow ARFCOMMers if you are using it. It does work really well though, smells like oranges to boot. I highly recommend it for a cleaning agent, just damn be careful on your plastic truck grills and the overspray.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
a lot of the brake cleaners i have used leave those little white spots on the alum recievers too.

usually takes some scrubbing to get it off too, i think it has something to do with uneven mixture of chemicals used and the high pressure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
a lot of the brake cleaners i have used leave those little white spots on the alum recievers too.

usually takes some scrubbing to get it off too, i think it has something to do with uneven mixture of chemicals used and the high pressure.

Makes sense, that shit would strip the hair off of a monkeys ass. I use RIG as an exposed metal protectant, it was all gone. I noticed it was leaving spots on the receiver, but I always recoat the rifle in RIG and wipe it down anyway.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya, that stuff is real strong, that's for sure. But it sure does speed up my cleaning!

I learned the hard time to keep those 'powder-blast'/'instant clean' type chems away from things you value. When I was at my mom's house a year or two ago, I put my SKS parts onto a styrofoam plate, and sprayed the parts down with Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber. Before I knew it that stuff ate through the plate and then kept on going through the finish on the picnic table! My mom was not pleased.

D'oh!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top