Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2012 10:50:58 AM EDT
Building another lower and I botched the pin a little bit.  Thought that the holes were lined up just fine and went to hammer her through and ended up not having the holes perfectly aligned.  Now I've tried to remove the pin with a pair of pliers but no success.  What should be my next step?  Was thinking about grinding it down since it technically does its job, but it'd be left with a somewhat shoddily done lower.  What would I want to do here?

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#1]
You could cut out your trigger guard to get access from the other side.  Then you would have an excuse to replace it with a KAC Aluminum trigger guard.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Seriously? Snap on some vice grips to the pin and hit it with a hammer, take 30seconds to get out.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Pliers dont give the grip and torque you need.  Use a channel lock with a little manly elbow grease and you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Seriously? Snap on some vice grips to the pin and hit it with a hammer, take 30seconds to get out.

This

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Plus, there's a risk with pliers that you will snap off the ear.

Can't you wiggle the trigger guard 'til it lines up ("snaps" into place) then hammer the pin all of the way through?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#6]
You can't just tap it through from the other side with a slightly smaller punch?

If you had the front of the guard in place, how far off could the rear be?

Anywhoo, pound the end of the pin flat, like a duck bill, get some vise grips, clamp on, and give a little twist as you pull.

Then, buy Magpul MOE trigger guard and replace, since you will be needing a new pin also.

On a side note, you can install threaded inserts in the Magpul guard and use some screws to install so you could throw he damn roll pin away.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Ripped it out with channels after putting some oil on it to possibly loosen it up and then retapped it through.  Looks like hell now but its in there..
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't "hammer" the pin in, I use channel-lock pliers (with duct tape protecting the ends) to squeeze them in. You are half way there, just wiggle the guard into alignment and squeeze the pin in.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#9]
No lube

didn't polish the pin

wrong punch

good luck......
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]
If you go with the "wiggle" method to get it out, I'd suggest being very careful as to not enlarging the hole too much on the ear.  If you do that, then no mil spec pin will stay in there correctly and you'll have totally messed up your receiver.  

I would try tapping it out from the opposite side first before doing the wiggle method with pliers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would try tapping it out from the opposite side first before doing the wiggle method with pliers.

Yep, tapping it out from the opposite side over a support block with a hole drilled in it would have been the way.
Then shit-can the beat up roll pin and start over with a new pin using a slave pin to maintain alignment.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Lube those roll pins up real good. It makes it much easier.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lube those roll pins up real good. It makes it much easier.

Ill go as far as "pinch" the end down that I use to start into the hole, this helps it get it started and the big thing is to support the EARS on the lower. And slowly tap the pin in. Ive built over 20 ARs and have never had any issues assembling one.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No lube

didn't polish the pin

wrong punch

good luck......

Can I get more info on this part?  

Built many lowers, and haven't polished any pins yet.  Always something new to learn.    

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#15]
It's pressing tightly against the trigger guard itself right?

Try this.  Remove your pistol grip.  Unlatch the trigger guard from the front and rotate it all the way back, so it's nearly parallel to the receiver.  Removing the pistol grip gives enough room to do this.  Lightly tap the bottom of the trigger guard, right at the ears, with a rubber plastic mallet if rotating the trigger guard back and forth a few times doesn't get it centered.  When you rotate it back, it will often rotate on the pin, so instead of the hole being above the pin like I can see it is in the pic, it will be below.  A light tap will move the hole to the pin.

This assume of course that you didn't somehow hit the pin hard enough to actually drive it into the trigger guard.

I've assembled a few hundred, or maybe a couple thousand lowers (I work for a type 7 FFL... used to be an IP here...) and have done this... maybe once or twice and this method has worked for me without damaging anything.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:48:38 AM EDT
[#16]
is that a split type roll pin or one of the wrapped ones? i use the split ones, and crimp the end i'm putting in first so it drives in easier.

i also use vise grips and a piece of plastic (to protect the other side of the lower) to drive the pin in so i can feel if its going in smooth.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:30:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, tapping it out from the opposite side over a support block with a hole drilled in it would have been the way.
Then shit-can the beat up roll pin and start over with a new pin using a slave pin to maintain alignment.

This is the smart way.

Doesn't anyone use panhead screws for the trigger guard?  Roll pins suck and the panheads look clean and are very easy to do.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#18]
The ear is just waiting to break off. support the lower with a block of wood from the pin side and drive it out backwards.
clean out the roll pin hole in the lower and the trigger guard with a drill bit slightly smaller and work up 1 size.
pin holes probably not clean enough, oil and retry with the correct roll pin punch. forget the vicegrip squeeze.
It's probably compounding your problem.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No lube

didn't polish the pin

wrong punch

good luck......

Can I get more info on this part?  

Built many lowers, and haven't polished any pins yet.  Always something new to learn.    

I'll chuck my pins is a small drill and polish them with 600 grit sand paper. Chamfer the leading edge. Lube with Tetra or a light grease. Use a bench block of equavalent. Roll pin starter and roll pin punch to tap in...works everytime...YMMV

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top