Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 8:03:49 PM EDT
I am having a problem with the last round in the magazine jumping over the bolt face and jamming with the round half way into the chamber.  It takes some serious banging down of the buttstock while pulling down the charging handle to get things in the right position to pry the round out.  

Although this is a used rifle, I am assuming this is related to the cheap steel magazines that the dealer included with the rifle.  He gave me two of these mags and the results are the same; they both work fine until the last round.  My friend with a Colt says his does the same with these types of magazines.  I just got some USGI's in and will try them at the range in a couple of days.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Is there anything else I should look at?  I really like this rifle except for this problem.

Thanks

Hoppy  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I had same problem when using some 20rd mags.  2 of 5 would do this, but not the last shot, it was always somewhere between the 6th and 9th round out.  (on 2 different AR's)  They didn't look dented/bent/different than the ones that did work.  I pulled them apart, put in new followers (green), then added a touch of graphite as a last resort, no luck.

Threw those two away, the other 3 work great, and all my 30rd work great (USGI, Green follower).
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Bend the lips on the mag down about 1/32 inch.  The lips should conform to the shape of the cartridge they are holding in.

Billski described a mag fountain test.  Fully load the mag and bang the bottom on a suitable surface.  Soft enough the mag doesn't get damaged but hard enough the bullets bounce into the mag a little.  The bullets will pop out of a bad magazine.

Cheap steel mags arn't worth the effort, they will never work right.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
all my 30rd work great (USGI, Green follower).
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that this is the cure for the problem.  Just never had a semi jam in that manner before.

Thanks

Hoppy
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cheap steel mags arn't worth the effort, they will never work right.
View Quote

I'm learnin'.  [brick]

Hoppy
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Steel 20 round mags suck.
I had one. It didn't jam, but wouldn't chamber the last round. The bolt would ALLWAYS lock back as if it were empty, but would leave the last round loose in the open chamber.
This mag could now be found rusting in the woods.
I've never had any cheap 30 rounders,and after the bad time that one mag gave me, I won't.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Went to the range with four USGI 30's today and the problem is gone.  Rifle performance was flawless.

Thanks everyone.

Hoppy
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top