Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 11:27:04 AM EDT
So I just purchased my first bolt Carrier ... It did not come with a cam pin or firing pin or firing pin retaining pin.

I though if I bought a complete bolt and a bolt carrier I would have a complete bcg. Am I wrong ... Or did I get hosed
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#1]
A complete bolt and carrier includes everything you need to drop it in.

A carrier by itself includes the carrier and key.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I just purchased my first bolt Carrier ... It did not come with a cam pin or firing pin or firing pin retaining pin.

I though if I bought a complete bolt and a bolt carrier I would have a complete bcg. Am I wrong ... Or did I get hosed

So did you buy the bolt carrier or the bolt carrier group? The bolt carrier is usually just the bolt carrier and gas key. A bolt carrier group has the bolt carrier, the bolt, cam pin, firing pin, and cotter pin.

I have a feeling that what you bought was an assembled carrier, which, like I said, has the gas key. A stripped carrier does not have the gas key. Did it come with a bolt? If no bolt, it likely also does not have the cam, cotter and firing pins.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Usually a retailer says BCG assembly, bolt carrier group assembly; it comes with everything.

But no one should assume it comes with everything, it may just come with a gas key.

I usually read the whole product desciption and even call before order.

What we think it should come with has not legal bearing.
Are you going to tell this seller, some guy on AR15.com says it should come with everything?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sounds like you hosed yourself.  Just learn from you mistake and move on.  Terminology!    If you're new it will happen.  I think it's been explained enough but just to be sure:

A BCG(Bolt Carrier Group) is what you should have been looking for.  That includes everything you need.  A complete carrier is simply a carrier with gas key.    Another name for the carrier is Bolt Carrier.   If you bought a Bolt now you've got a Bolt and a Carrier to which you still need to other parts you seem to be missing.  Those may or may not be easier to find individually however.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Read the item description again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]

I'd say you kinda/sorta got hosed by the terminology thing.

But hey, look on the bright side.  It's a lot easier to find the parts you need than to find bolts and carriers right now.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I was very lucky to get these orders in before all the crazy began...

but I ordered a "Bolt Carrier, M16, GI, Stripped with Staked Key" from fulton armory.... their website is shutdown right now because they I guess dont have the staff to handle this crazy xmas season

so I cant check the site to see the part description I bought. but does "stripped" mean .... no cam pin no firing pin and no firing pin retaining pin?

I have already got the bolt and that is why i bought just a carrier. I thought it would come with everything I needed to hold the bolt in as well I was obviously wrong I guess

any website recommendations on  where to get the last three parts? will any firing pin work for a  .264/6.5 Grendel build?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

but I ordered a "Bolt Carrier, M16, GI, Stripped with Staked Key" from fulton armory.... their website is shutdown right now because they I guess dont have the staff to handle this crazy xmas season

so I cant check the site to see the part description I bought. but does "stripped" mean .... no cam pin no firing pin and no firing pin retaining pin?

I have already got the bolt and that is why i bought just a carrier. I thought it would come with everything I needed to hold the bolt in as well I was obviously wrong I guess

any website recommendations on  where to get the last three parts? will any firing pin work for a  .264/6.5 Grendel build?

I ordered the exact same thing from them for my grendel (should be arriving next week) I did buy the remaining three parts though. Since those are all you need it's not a big deal DSG, midway, or brownells should have them they won't be sold out. Just pay attention to the terminology next time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered the exact same thing from them for my grendel (should be arriving next week) I did buy the remaining three parts though. Since those are all you need it's not a big deal DSG, midway, or brownells should have them they won't be sold out. Just pay attention to the terminology next time.

so nothing fancy about the firing pin? just a standard  one will do
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes. Only different part for the grendel is the bolt.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
A standard "mil spec" will do.  You should order two of each of the three things you need.  Everyone should have a spare fp, etc.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You just said it all. You got a stripped Bolt Carrier with gas key, as described. The firing pin, etc. are not part of the carrier, but they are part of a complete Bolt Carrier Group. So no, you didn't get hosed.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

but I ordered a "Bolt Carrier, M16, GI, Stripped with Staked Key" from fulton armory
but does "stripped" mean .... no cam pin no firing pin and no firing pin retaining pin?

You got it finally.  You got what you ordered.  Don't mean to sound snotty, but learn your gun before you spend your money.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top