Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2004 4:33:47 PM EST
Basic and probably stupid question to many of you out there in AR land.

Do I need to purchase a new bolt carrier assembly and bolt with a complete upper? In other words can I use the same BCA and bolt from my current M4 upper with the new "no ban" upper I plan to buy? This would obviously save me some expense. I have a feeling there will be potential problems this.

Thanks for the feedback.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:53:49 PM EST
People have done this with no problem and 99 times out of 100 it works fine. The issue is headspacing (do a search). I would rather not take chances when dealing with things that explode and and cause high pressures. For piece of mind the least I would do would be get a headspace guage and make sure your old bolt headspaces correctly to your new upper.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:30:16 AM EST
when you buy a headspace gage, get the "field gage", i have several NIBs that will lock up on a "NO-GO"..., which i have been told is rather common !!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:08:50 AM EST
The issue is wearing of the lugs. If you want the bolt and barrel extension to wear together (safer) then keep a bolt matched with the barrel and get a new bolt for the other upper.

However, the bolt carrier can be used by both since it does not affect the headspacing. So you can save like $40-50 on the carrier part.
Top Top