Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2004 4:30:38 PM EDT
Hello all - I'm building my first AR using a RRA lower and a Model 1 Sales Kit. I also have a printout of the "build a lower receiver" primer from this site as well as Duncan Long's "Build Your AR-15". Well, I got the mag release done just fine, but when I went on to the Bolt Catch, that was the end of that. I covered the  receiver with tape to protect it, and I applied a drop of oil to the Bolt Catch Roll Pin before inserting it into the rearward hole. It was VERY tight, and I put the other 3 pieces of the Bolt Catch in place, but the Roll Pin was very difficult to get in. I couldn't get it all the way in, and I found that continued hitting was starting to deform the pin (I have ordered another one). Does anyone have any suggestions? Should the Roll Pin fit super tight, or should it have some play? If I'm hammering it and getting nowhere, something must be wrong. The pin seemed to fit tightly into the Bolt Catch as well (I tried it without the receiver), but it did go halfway through. Is there a tool I need? Is the pin too large? All suggestions would be appreciated. Also, your suggestions on a method of hammering the pin in would help- I think I was tapping the pin in on a slight angle which added to my difficulty. I remember reading that you shouldn't  have to hit anything really hard when assembling an AR. Please help.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps you are trying to put the triggerguard roll pin in, instead of the bolt catch pin?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I found it a bit easier to use something between the pin and the hammer that was long enough to extend past the rear of the lower. that way I could hold the hammer straight, and not at an angle. I used a brass rod that was flat on both ends, but Im sure you can use whatever you have around. Also smaller taps with the hammer, even if it takes more taps to get it in. Just wait until you get to the front pivot pin spring and detent installation.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a tough time with that roll pin from certain company's parts kits in the past.  Same thing with the front detent and spring.......always found I had to make slight modifications to the spring to get them to go in far enough to work.  But the roll pin usually took help holding something.

When I did my no bans recently, I switched to a different company for my kits, and had no troubles doing it alone, or with anything being tough like before.  Here's how I put that pin in.  Set the lower on the floor/carpet.  Place a washcloth over the lower right up to where the roll pin goes in.  Hold the roll pin with a pair of long needle nose pliers while I tap it lightly with a hammer.  Just get it started so you don't need the pliers.

Then, put the other parts in and continue to tap.  It shouldn't take a lot of force, and you can put the lower against your knee to hold it - and practice your kneeling position at the same time   - while you tap that pin in.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
A_free_man has a method of first chamfering the roll pin (sandpaper works) to get it started easier, and then using vise grips covered in electrical tape to start the pin in.

Have you gotten the pin to start?  If you have it halfway, and it wont go through the bolt catch.... you just arent lining up the bolt catch pin hole correctly yet....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It's very easy to get the pins mixed up.  Put everything else together first, that way you will know if you have a pin that is too small at some other location, and you can use the right one last.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's very easy to get the pins mixed up.  Put everything else together first, that way you will know if you have a pin that is too small at some other location, and you can use the right one last.

Well, there is only TWO roll pins in a lower parts kit.  That's it.  One is for the bolt catch... one is for the trigger guard.  MAJOR difference in size... it would be hard to confuse those two....

www.kevinholman.com/byor/lower/partsbig.jpg
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same problem and I used an Oly parts kit with an Oly receiver (uscmdjb, did you use an Oly parts kit too?)
Here's what I found worked.
1. Get a roll pin punch. I don't care about the BS you've heard on this board that it's possible to put together an AR receiver using the tip of a round and a sizable rock from your back yard. The proper tools make the job much easier. Since the roll pin punch needed for that pin does not come in the Sears/Craftsman roll pin punch set, I used the same size as for the trigger guard pin. It didn't fit perfectly but it did the trick. I suggest ordering the correct size from Brownells though.
2. Get a good, 16 oz or higher hammer.
3. Sand the pins down. I used a file and a knife sharpening stone. You can use whatever you want.
4. Take a pair of pliers and compress the pin as much as you can. I put the pin in between the crimping portion of my Leatherman and hit the back end of my multi-tool with my hammer
5. Lube the pin and the hole.
6. Place a cleaning patch under your punch to prevent it from scratching your receiver when you're tapping the pin in.

I used all of these tricks and still barely got the punch in. It took me well over an hour, so be patient.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had the same problem and I used an Oly parts kit with an Oly receiver (uscmdjb, did you use an Oly parts kit too?)
Here's what I found worked.
1. Get a roll pin punch. I don't care about the BS you've heard on this board that it's possible to put together an AR receiver using the tip of a round and a sizable rock from your back yard. The proper tools make the job much easier. Since the roll pin punch needed for that pin does not come in the Sears/Craftsman roll pin punch set, I used the same size as for the trigger guard pin. It didn't fit perfectly but it did the trick. I suggest ordering the correct size from Brownells though.
2. Get a good, 16 oz or higher hammer.
3. Sand the pins down. I used a file and a knife sharpening stone. You can use whatever you want.
4. Take a pair of pliers and compress the pin as much as you can. I put the pin in between the crimping portion of my Leatherman and hit the back end of my multi-tool with my hammer
5. Lube the pin and the hole.
6. Place a cleaning patch under your punch to prevent it from scratching your receiver when you're tapping the pin in.

I used all of these tricks and still barely got the punch in. It took me well over an hour, so be patient.

No, not Oly, the kits I had problems with were M1S.  And I'm not bashing.  I have some guns that started as M1S kits that I like quite well.  Just ran into a few issues.

The most recent ones were J&T.  And I completed 4 lowers by myself in a couple hours.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Understandable.

jgrease:
I hope you managed to get them in but if nothing else works, you might just have to dremmel the pins down a bit and try again (use that as a last resort).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the good advice. I am still waiting on the replacement part. I was definitely using the right roll pin - the other one is longer. It was just such a super tight fit - I think the bolt catch might have been out of alignment because the roll pin began to bend, and once the pin made contact with the bolt catch, the catch became very stiff. I will try a combination of these suggestions on mine. Thanks again. Also, not to go off on a tangent, but has anyone ever had to make a return to M1S? I was a little annoyed to find out I had to pay my own return postage because they put the wrong front sight on my upper. I was promised a "reimbursement" for the postage, but why wouldn't they just do what evey other mail order company does and bill it to their UPS account? If you really mean to repay me then why not save us all a lot of trouble and pay up front? After throwing down $600 for ANYTHING at ANY COMPANY, I expect better customer service than that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Two things that will help:  (1) Put a little grease in the hole, and (2) chamfer the end of the pin.

And you might try looking here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200688&page=2

I have added my method for this job, on page 2, with pictures, to Faralak's excellent How To.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks again - seeing the procedure makes it seem much more "do-able". I will try this with my lower when I get the parts back.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to all for your advice! The vise-grip solution worked like a charm!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#14]
One other thing...make sure that the hole that houses the spring for the bolt catch detent is clean.  It is possible that debris can make its way to the bottom of the hole.  Consequently, the spring will be compressed too much, the detent will begin putting unnecessary pressure on the bolt catch, which would then make installing the roll pin extremely difficult.  Then, after you have everything jammed in there nice and tight, the bolt catch won't spring back due to the compression of the spring (against the debris at the bottom of the hole).

Just $.02 .
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Craftsman robogrips with one rubber jaw cover is the way to go. Straight butter!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top