Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2011 6:24:25 PM EDT
Ok, this is getting ridiculus, I am trying to remove the bolt catch from my rifle, and I have thus far broken 2 standard punches, 2 roll-pin specific punches, and a ground down mini screwdriver, WTF am I doing wrong?  The problem seems to be that the punch is at a slight angle, and the pin is IN THERE pretty tight.  When I tap gently nothing moves, when I get more vigorous, SNAP!  I have tried from the front, from the back, with tension on the BC and at rest.  Any ideas WTF am I doing wrong?

Is there a brand of punch I need to buy, or some trick to this?  Do I need to grind one side of a punch dead flat?  I have never been so stymied on how to dis-assemble something in my whole life.  Help?  I know this is a small, simple task, but I cannot explain how frustrated I am at this moment...
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Fortunately I've never had to.
Brownells sell a punch for this.  It's kind of pricey considering how often it will be used
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The problem seems to be that the punch is at a slight angle, and the pin is IN THERE pretty tight.

That is why there is a bolt catch roll pin specific punch.
One is from Brownell's and one is from ADCO. They are shaved on one side to allow the punch to align with the pin.
Look it up.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If you've got a third hand, just a bit of pressure on the part to take pressure off the pin may help a bit... but that won't likely explain the broken punches.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
A little tape to act as a third hand to relieve pressure on the pin may help. You could also grind the handle portion of a proper sized punch to gain clearance and get a straight shot at it, like the one from Brownells mentioned above. I've installed two and removed one with just a regular punch without issues though.

Robert
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If you pinched one end of the pin to ease getting it started when you installed you'll want to remove it in the opposite direction. Pinching one end can make the opposite end fatten, so to speak. If you combine that with a particularly tight hole or the pin being driven in slightly off center I would imagine running into the problems you describe. I'd try pounding it out from the opposite side with brownell's punch. You didn't use lock-tite did you?
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Try putting some Kroil or other penetrating oil on the pin to try and loosen it up a bit. Maybe a little heat wouldn't hurt things either. Just outta curiosity, why are you removing it? Did something break?
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 on the Bolt Catch specialized punch.
You need to read the TM.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#8]
If you know a local machine shop, they can shave a punch down on one side.  Some punches are not hardened, and can be easily milled down.  If it is hardened, they have to be ground down normally with a precision grinding machine.  Any machine shop will have a Rockwell harness tester.  They can tell you if it is hardened and how they can do this for you.

Otherwise...Punch for $15.99.

RobF
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I just used a steel punch and it came out.  I had accidentally installed the wrong spring in there "diconnector" so I drove it out with the punch.  Came out no problem
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, I will look into the Brownells punch.  Come to think of it, I prolly ought to buy some extra pins, too...

As a bit of background, this is a factory gun, and has never been apart to my knowledge.  I am removing it to install a new product bolt catch thingie that I promised to write a review on, but can't until I get it installed.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I am about to order one of these:
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1368

...Because I am ordering more stuff from them...  Now I just need to figure out what actual size that roll pin is so I don't have to pay $5 for a $0.20 part...
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok, I am about to order one of these:
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1368
http://www.uniquetek.com/members/696296/uploaded/boltcatchpunch2.jpg

...Because I am ordering more stuff from them...  Now I just need to figure out what actual size that roll pin is so I don't have to pay $5 for a $0.20 part...

Same one is here.
Roll pin is here.

If you're ordering from ADCO anyway, they may throw in a roll pin for the asking or at least a nominal charge.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top