Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2006 7:46:29 PM EDT
Hey guys I'm new here and new to the AR world, I owned a Colt many years ago so I am familiar with the design. My question is about the Blackthorne rifles and parts, there are so many mfg's out there today... I ran across this one and was wondering what the quality was like.. any feedback on this mfg?  I would like to also add Superior Arms to the question.. so many mfg's to choose from.. I would like some help with component selection if anyone has some suggestions on manufactures.
                                                 Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/11/2006 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Blackthorne = Vulcan = Suspect quality, at best, total crap at worst.

Spend a little more and you can get stuff from a reputable manufacturer and have no worries.
Link Posted: 12/11/2006 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The Vulcan crap I would steer away from.

I have a Superior Arms lower that's been gtg for about 500 rounds so far on my 20" build.  There were some problems w/ out of spec lowers in early production runs but I have heard they are all straightened out now and gtg, as I know mine is.  

Here's some pics to show the quality.  (Not trying to pic whore your thread but just trying to give ya an idea of how they look)

Here it is next to a Colt lower (SA on top...Colt laying flat)

Here's another shot

Another

Roll Mark

Roll Mark farther away

Link Posted: 12/11/2006 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2006 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got a Blackthorne M4 kit and SuperiorArms lower for my 1st build I will be posting on this when all parts arrive on Fri. This is what Blackthorne had to say when I asked him about the components.

"Most of our uppers are from Lewis Machine and Tool and LAR manufacturing.
Our barrels are mostly made by Wilson.  We headspace and test fire for
function EACH AND EVERY barreled upper!  All other parts are from Government
contractors.   We do not have a machine shop that turns out parts, all are
from approved contractors. This assures you the highest quality parts!" [Blackthorne]

I'm not expecting a Bushmaster or a RRA but for a total build cost of $515.00 for a all new A3 M4 I will be happy if it feeds and ejects.
Link Posted: 12/11/2006 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
I just got a Blackthorne M4 kit and SuperiorArms lower for my 1st build I will be posting on this when all parts arrive on Fri. This is what Blackthorne had to say when I asked him about the components.

from approved contractors. This assures you the highest quality parts!" [Blackthorne]

I'm not expecting a Bushmaster or a RRA but for a total build cost of $515.00 for a all new A3 M4 I will be happy if it feeds and ejects.

after seeing their prices for a 8.5" pistol kit i'm tempted to go for it for my el-cheapo new years pistol build that i've been contemplating

i'll be interested in seeing how your M4 turns out carboss!
Link Posted: 12/11/2006 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

from approved contractors. This assures you the highest quality parts!"
[Blackthorne]

Link Posted: 12/17/2006 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I just assembled a flat-top 20 incher, looks good other than some mill marks between the upper T-marks (but under the finish). The furniture looks a little cheapo, but we shall see if it fires as soon as I get to the range. If it does I will be very happy , it really looks good at least. I hope they arent using factory seconds that are so out of spec it wont function.
The upper by the way is T-marked, has a "Cardinal" marking, and an M above the gas block, still trying to find out more about the upper. Here are some pics.

Link Posted: 12/18/2006 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
nice looking rifle so far Yuri, how does the Barrel/BCG look?

Also, did you use one of their LPKs? If so does it seem like a decent kit or a piece of junk?

Looking forward to hear if it goes boom in a good way!
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#9]
The lower parts kit was DPMS, the barrel appears to be normal milspec, and the bolt carrier group looks exactly like my Rock River one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]
awesome, thanks for the report, looks like i might have to give it a try for a build, looking forward to the range report if you get a chance
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I did a 16" flattop build on a DPMS lower in November.  I have put about 500 rounds through it since with no malfunctions at all.  It is a solid 1 MOA rifle with the 16" bull barrel.

The stainless barrel was not polished quite to the standard of a DPMS but you have to look hard to see the difference.

The carry handle was a little grayer than the black upper finish and had a area on the sharp lower edge where the finish had rubbed off, possibly in shipping.  The upper was done by Cardinal Forge.  As far as I, my calipers, and my micrometer can tell it is not out of spec in any way and I had no issues at all with the build, accuracy or function of the rifle.    

The bolt carrier group with that kit was standard AR-15, although the bolt carrier group I received this week for another build is clearly DPMS in design and markings, so it appears that they are acquiring parts from more than one source.  

The triggers on both have been decent - better than the stock trigger on the last DPMS rifle I fired.  

They did omit the selector detent spring in the last lower parts kit, but they responded in less than 12 hours to the e-mail and mailed me a replacement the same day with no hassle and no questions asked. In my experience the customer service has been excellent.

I have a freind who has lost intertest in an AR-15 build so I'll be picking up a new M4 carbine stocked lower half for $175. Consequently I will build an M4gery shortly and I plan to get the upper half from Blackthorne.  At $289 for the upper, I am only going to have about $475 into the entire rifle including shipping. And based on my previous experience I have no concerns with how it will shoot or run.  

The reviews on gun broker have also been positive and there are now a few members here who have positive build reports.   I have heard no negative reports about Blackthorne.  You will have to endure people citing their or someone else's negative experiences in the past with Vulcan or Hesse, but after my positive experiences and other positive reports regarding Blackthorne, I;d take those comments with a grain of salt unless the person commenting has actually dealt recently with Blackthorne.    
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
I did a 16" flattop build on a DPMS lower in November.  I have put about 500 rounds through it since with no malfunctions at all.  It is a solid 1 MOA rifle with the 16" bull barrel.

The stainless barrel was not polished quite to the standard of a DPMS but you have to look hard to see the difference.

The carry handle was a little grayer than the black upper finish and had a area on the sharp lower edge where the finish had rubbed off, possibly in shipping.  The upper was done by Cardinal Forge.  As far as I, my calipers, and my micrometer can tell it is not out of spec in any way and I had no issues at all with the build, accuracy or function of the rifle.    

The bolt carrier group with that kit was standard AR-15, although the bolt carrier group I received this week for another build is clearly DPMS in design and markings, so it appears that they are acquiring parts from more than one source.  

The triggers on both have been decent - better than the stock trigger on the last DPMS rifle I fired.  

They did omit the selector detent spring in the last lower parts kit, but they responded in less than 12 hours to the e-mail and mailed me a replacement the same day with no hassle and no questions asked. In my experience the customer service has been excellent.

I have a freind who has lost intertest in an AR-15 build so I'll be picking up a new M4 carbine stocked lower half for $175. Consequently I will build an M4gery shortly and I plan to get the upper half from Blackthorne.  At $289 for the upper, I am only going to have about $475 into the entire rifle including shipping. And based on my previous experience I have no concerns with how it will shoot or run.  

The reviews on gun broker have also been positive and there are now a few members here who have positive build reports.   I have heard no negative reports about Blackthorne.  You will have to endure people citing their or someone else's negative experiences in the past with Vulcan or Hesse, but after my positive experiences and other positive reports regarding Blackthorne, I;d take those comments with a grain of salt unless the person commenting has actually dealt recently with Blackthorne.    

So, the $289 upper comes with the bolt group and a charging handle? If they do and go bang every time, I'm impressed. And will consider ordering one for myself.
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry, my mistake, since I am currently long on BCG's and charging handles I did not figure that in. You need another $95 for the BCG and $14 for a charging handle.

If you need the BCG and charging handle, the kit makes a lot more sense as you get the upper, BCG, charging handle, stock/buffer assembly and lower parts kit for only a few dollars more than the price of the upper, BCG and charging handle.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't comment on Blackthorne but the Superior lowers are fine. I own several of them especially since they are from my home state.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top