Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 10:55:03 AM EDT
Hey guys I'm asking here because I figure I'll get better responces here.

I'm leaveing tomarrow to go on a Hog/Turkey hunt. No one around here carries Black Hills 60gr SP or the winchester 64gr SP. So now I'm looking for an alternative. I would just use some 68gr BTHP or some 75gr BTHP that I have, however the WDNR does not consider it an "expanding ammo" so I can't use it. The only thing close would be the 60gr V-max and only one place has any at all around here. So in the opinion of the more ammo savy then myself would the 60gr V-max be a good ammo to use on hogs? If not what else should I look for?

Someone in this freaking area of the state needs to start stocking BH ammo on a regualr basis and in more then just a couple flavors!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how big your hogs get, but I would look for some Federal TBBC.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't know how big your hogs get, but I would look for some Federal TBBC.

Will do.
Average size that the WDNR gave me was from 40-200lbs. I'm aware of  three that went over 300, one that was 350lbs was killed in the immediate area of where we will be hunting and was killed by the nephew of one of the guys we'll be hunting with.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont hunt hogs out here in Utah, but I think the 60gr V-Max would be a poor chioce for large hogs. It might be ok for those under 100 lbs or so, with good placement. Keep in mind thats a varmint bullet, designed to fragment rapidly and wont offer much penetration.

Dont you have a 6.8spc upper sitting aorund somewhere?

ETA: Black hills also has a 60gr Nosler partrition load available... if you have a Cabelas nearbuy, i think they carry it. Its also available from Midway USA. That should work well, and be cheaper than the Federal TBBC
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it would be a good choice for hogs.  As WesDesRat said, it's a varmint bullet, and would probably break up before penetrating adequately enough to stop the hog.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Just use any good fmj ammo and put it in the center of neck at the base of skull. Be ready for a follow up shot but if you hit the sweet spot it won't be needed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I look for some today to use coyote hunting. All i could find in Black Hills was 68gr BTHP ammo . But i wanted Vmax or Nosler BT . I would have bought some if they would have had it in a 55gr bullet in black hills. VM
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:20:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just use any good fmj ammo and put it in the center of neck at the base of skull. Be ready for a follow up shot but if you hit the sweet spot it won't be needed.

As I said in my post I can't even use BTHP ammo because it's not considered "expanding" by the WDNR what makes you think I'd be able to get away with using FMJ

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Unfortunetly for me the only round over 55gr I can get around here is a federal loading of the 60gr partitian. However I've been cautioned about using that particular bullet because it doesn't do enough damage to kill quickly at leat not on hogs. The BH 60grSP was spesificly reccommended as better on hogs then the 60gr partitian. The fucked up thing is that no one around here has anything over 55gr other then those three boxes of partitians that gander had. They used to have a shitload of good hunting ammo in .223 now they don't have shit. Gander Mountain has defnetly gone down a notch in my book over the last couple years. Their entire ammo selection used to be the best around here, now they just suck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally a question I am qualified to answer...

I kill a lot of hogs with everything from .22LR to 45-70, .375H&H and .470 Capstick.  You can blow large holes behind or in the shoulders if you have GOOD bullets in a medium to large caliber, but thats no gauranty.  

I've seen 'em run from hits with everything you can imagine, with holes big enough to see the sunrise through...I have broken down both front shoulders on 300 pound hogs at 15 yards with rifles whose names make Elephants nervous, and watched 'em run off.

But I have never lost one (or watched one run) if I hit it in the ear or behind the jaw or at the base of the skull.  Broadside shots only, a frontal head shot to the forehead will likely deflect.

Can you shoot well? Then stick it in their ear and have a good time.  Bullet design matters not.

Greetings from Texas,

KMJ
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top