Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 9:21:00 AM EDT
What the best way to do it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Acetone works well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Try some cans of brake cleaner. That's how I removed the Krylon from my M4gery.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The cheapo $1 can of wallmart carb cleaner or brake cleaner work well.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The cheapo $1 can of wallmart carb cleaner or brake cleaner work well.  

+1
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I use cheapo Walmart lacquer thinner, by the gallon can, for degreasing.  It will also remove krylon easily.  The stuff in the blue and orange can.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
For a non-toxic, non-fumes, non-numb fingers application, try Castrol Super Clean.  I use it to remove Krylon primer and Krylon Triple Thick Glaze.  Remember that this will remove all oils etc from whatever metal part you put it on.  Let it soak overnight and using a cold water rinse and a toothbrush, it will remove the paint.

While i am new to the AR scene, I have been painting miniatures for many years (paid for my 1st AR with miniature sales ) and I use the Castrol stuff for all my stripping needs.  I takes primers, enamels, acrylics, and laquers off nicely.  I used to use acetone but I started loosing the feeling in my finger tips for a day or so after using it so I looked for other means.  The best stripper used to be Lemon Pine Sol until they changed to the "dirt dont float" formula and runied it.  With all things, test on a small area 1st before you do the whole thing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Well now I know how to remove it, I can let loose with the camo schemes.
Thanks.  I like the ultra flat camo paints from Walmart.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I used to use acetone but I started loosing the feeling in my finger tips for a day or so after using it............

If your going to play with chemicals like acetone it would be wise to invest a couple bucks in a set of rubber gloves.  

Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS): Acetone
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm.... I may dive in as well.... good info!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I might be wary of the Acetone; it might eat up the plastic, but then again I am not 100% sure of that. You can also use Easy-Off Oven Cleaner; I used that to remove about 7 layers of krylon flat paint from a CVC Helmet Shell, including the original OD Green paint; let it soak overnight, then use cold water and a brush to remove any stubborn sports. As with anything else, use rubber gloves and do it in a well-ventilated area.

The CVC Helmet was repainted and rebuild for an Army friend as an "ETS Gift".
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Topic: Ever want to start a stock paint job COMPLETELY over? - FINALLY UPDATED!

www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=001922

Check this thread out before you all jump on the brake cleaner band wagon
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Just remember to keep the Super-Clean away from aluminum.

I was using some to clean off a really nasty stove hood the other day - suddenly the paint started falling off of it.  Guess I mixed it too strong.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Topic: Ever want to start a stock paint job COMPLETELY over? - FINALLY UPDATED!

www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=001922

Check this thread out before you all jump on the brake cleaner band wagon

As already posted, super clean attacks aluminum, so figure out if you think its worth using for your specific project.  

For people who are looking for a general purpose item to strip and degrease, SC is not a good choice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#15]
If you paint your gun, how do you clean it without removing the paint?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#16]
brake or carb cleaner works best,
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#17]
DO NOT USE EASY_OFF!
I am still looking for someone to re-anodize my upper&lower.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:18:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
DO NOT USE EASY_OFF!
I am still looking for someone to re-anodize my upper&lower.

There are people here who aren't going to pay attention or learn from your experiences.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you paint your gun, how do you clean it without removing the paint?

Use of a quality finish, like Norrells or KG, will allow you to pour solvents all over it witout concern.

If you are using basic spray paints, you have to be more careful.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I use cheapo Walmart lacquer thinner, by the gallon can, for degreasing.  It will also remove krylon easily.  The stuff in the blue and orange can.

I have a Surefire rail which has been painted green.  I want to return it to basic black.  How long do you think I would have to put it in the thinner to get the paint off?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Paper towel with light rubbing using nail polish remover.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Paper towel with light rubbing using nail polish remover.

AKA acetone
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone know whether that super clean would be good on alumahyde?  I dicked up an ak trying to refinish it and want to start over...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1 on the Laquer thinner  , works  great
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top