Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 11:05:49 AM EDT
I am looking to replace it with a railed one....I have already replaced the sight block.

I have the vice, action block, and ar-15 armorers wrench.

What esle do I need?  Strap wrench? pipe wrench?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is two-piece, you'll probably need a strap wrench to unscrew the tube from the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
i got the strap wrench but now the thing won't budge.  any ideas? tried heat.  turn counter clockwise if looking at the muzzle right?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking at it from the front, yes, the tube unscrews counter-clockwise. Is it a two-piece tube, meaning that the tube itself will unscrew, leaving the rear section to secure the barrel to the upper?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats what it looks like. It is a factory free float from BM.

from Bushy site:
These V Match competition handguards screw directly onto your upper receiver replacing the standard handguards, barrel nut and handguard cap. The hard anodized finished aluminum assembly fits over standard and match profile barrels - allowing your barrel to “free float” for optimum accuracy (installation requires removal of sight base) V Match handguards can't be used on Dissipator barrels.

maybe one piece?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
If they are one-piece, you'll need to remove the gas tube and either use an armorer's wrench in the holes in the rear or a strap wrench on the whole thing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
ok...i have the armorers wrench...  how does it fit on the handgaurd?

i have this wrench...

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The other side of that wrench should have 3 prongs. These prongs will fit in 3 of the holes in the rear of the tube. I don't know how much clearance you have between the tube and upper receiver -- that particular wrench may not fit in there. If it doesn't, you'll either need to use a thinner wrench or continue on with the strap wrench.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I just went through the same deal, and broke a strap wrench trying.  Ended up dremmeling through it to lossen it up.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#9]
stove_pipe...did you find lock-tite in there?

POS: SURE WAS>>>BURNED THAT SHIT OUT
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top