Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 6:11:10 AM EDT
I need to store my AR for awhile, maybe up to two years.

Usually it resides in a discrete carry case that goes just about everywhere whith me; but, I know that won't do for long term. Do I just need to oil it up well and put it back in the Bushmaster case? Or should I use some specialty grease/oils, etc?

Advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Just oil it up.
If the case has the SPONGE in it - the oils might seep out and discolor the sponge over time.

Maybe lay a small towel under it..
But me personally-
When I let mine sit for a year - I just oiled it up and threw it in the closet  "at the time" that was the only placeI had for it.

No problems what so ever.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Oil it up real good with clp and buy a silicone treated gun sock to put it in. They work very well!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#3]
VLODPG offers long term storage for reasonable rates!

email for details
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend against putting it in a hard case for an extended amount of time.  Moisture can remain trapped in there and rust steel parts.  I would recomend a cotton/silicon gun sack that will allow exchange of air and mositure.

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=185936

Just lube it up with CLP, stick it in and you'll be safe.  

Nope, nothing Freudean about that statement at all.  You just have a dirty mind.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps run a patch of RIG through the bore.... lightly oil the internals.  The exterior won't need oil.  No worry about plastic rusting or aluminum oxidizing...  ARs are pretty much designed for long term storage when you come to think about it.  ;)

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would recommend against putting it in a hard case for an extended amount of time.  Moisture can remain trapped in there and rust steel parts.

Same goes for SOFT CASES, Cleatus!  Believe me!  I have a pitted 10/22 to prove it!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
+1  No hard cases.  I use the silicone impregnated gun sock, mentioned above, with great success.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#8]
treat it with eezox.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I am a relative newb here, but geez, even I have been here long enough to pick up the ARFcom vibe and offer the expected answer:

"Send it to me and Ill babysit it for ya!"

Oh and send several hundred rounds of its favorite ammo, and I will constantly remind it that you still care!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
CLP on the internals, light coat in the bore, silicone sock, and you're good to go.  

I have even seen them stored in a large vacuum sealed bag.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't store it with the bolt locked back.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Would you have the hammer back or not?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you have the hammer back or not?

Negative.

Large zip-lock type bag and vacuum seal it.

HS1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a safe with humidity control.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Store it in a dry environment. Either heated or a sealed space with plenty of dessicant. It should not matter if the hammer is back or not.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#16]
www.polygunbag.com/gunbags.html

For longer-term, I ain't openin' this for a long while, storage, I recommend the VCI bags.  I have a few guns stored in them.  I tested their effect on some tools in my garage.  They definitely work.  In fact, you can cut the bags down into strips and place them in your ammo cans.  Serves as an effective VCI emitter.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Wouldn`t  desiccant work well in a open foam hard case, instead of paying exta for a silicone sock?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top