Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 9:20:52 PM EDT
Dear Sir:

I own an AR 15 HBR stamped .223. I have reciently learned that there is a difference between .223 and 5.56 ammo.

Can I shoot 5.56 ammo in my ARwith out a problem? I have shot 5.56 with no problem to date.

I have spoken to many gunsmiths and they tell me both .223 and 5.56 are the same ammo. I have bought ammo that is labled both .223 and 5.56. www.AR15-orical explains the difference and that using the 5.56 in the .223 will cause 15,00 psi increase.

I use the gun to target shoot and to hunt coyotes.

I would like the gun to shoot 300 yds. with good accuracy. I use a scope, because of being older and the eyes aren't what they were ten years ago.

Also, I bought this rifle during the ban so there is no muzzle break/flash supressor. Should I have one instaled.

Sincerely,
artc
PS LONG MAY SHE WAVE!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
They are different, and the general rule of thumb is that you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber but not 5.56 in a .223 chamber.  If your barrel is engraved .223 and not 5.56, I would advise not shooting 5.56.  As for a FH, I would put one on, either a A2 birdcage or one out of the YHM Phantom series.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
shooting 5.56 in a 2.23 chamber is a no-no

If the rifle is a postban and you've sht the bbl enough, why not get a new one, chambered in 5.56 with a threaded muzzle to satisfy all your needs?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:06:11 AM EDT
[#3]
When and if they get the AR15.com Photo Server back up and running you can use this chart to help ya determine whether the "chamber" on your rifle (which btw, ya forget to say what brand it is) is a mil-spec 5.56 or SAAMI spec 223 Rem.

Mike

ps - lots of brands of ARs say 223 on the lower but still have 5.56 chambers
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top