Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 4:52:19 PM EDT
http://www.sskindustries.com/ar15.htm

Also being suppressed wich would be the best upper for achieving the longest range and stay moa?
What would the maximum range be?
What length of barrel needed?
Which bullet would do the most lethal damage to flesh at the longest range?

The available chambers are:
17 Remington
20 Tactical
204 Ruger
221 Fireball
222 Remington
222 Rem Magnum 223 Remington
6/223
6 MM PPC (JDJ)
6 MM Whisper
6.5 Grendel
6.5 MPC 6.5 MM PPC (JDJ)
6.5 MM Whisper
7 MM TCU
7 MM Whisper
300 Whisper
458 SOCOM

Are all these chambered uppers able to shoot subsonic whispers?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi, I have seen some posts where members have bought some 8 or 9 inch barrels from you with fast twist rates. As I remember they did not have much effect of the performance(wich is good)?

By long range I meen 500 to 800 yards. I have no idea how these subsonic loads perform and was hoping a combination of rifle(AR) and cartridge was available to preform this.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a laser range finder, wind and weather I'm going to have to practice on. What whisper round will do the 500 yards? Could it do it with your 8 inch barrels (suppressed)? I've read that when useing subsonic it really doesn't matter on the barrel length, just the twist. I also would prefer to shoot as quite as posible. My ears are used to make my living(work in recording studio). Would it be better to move up to the AR10 with a .338 whisper?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Also check out marty at teppo jutsu he has a good line of cartridges that can fit the same bill as the JD Jones stuff and is a very plesant guy to deal with and is very well priced.

He can do the 300/221 fireball(ie 300 whisper) and he's got a great one called the .338 specter that should get you sub-sonic accuracy to 500yrds in the AR15 platform.

I also like the 6.5 grendal for long range in the AR15.

http://www.teppojutsu.com/welcome.htm
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#8]
The only difference platform makes in this instance is cost of components (and avaibility).  The 338 - 7 BR is a great round BUT would be more suited for the AR-10/DPMS LR rifles.  These are more costly and components less easily available (typically).  The Spectre fits in the AR-15 which means parts can be a little easier to come by.  The Spectre also operates at lower pressure and less powder than the 338-7BR which will aide in suppression.

Shooting beyond 500 yards can be done, at a military T&E a .50 cal Whisper engaged the commander's hatch of a MBT at 900+ yards with amazing accuracy.  TOF is to the point where you can put the rifle down, pick up spotting optics, drink coffee, pee, read a magazine and then witness impact

Note the similarity in trajectories of the 300-221, 338 and the 510.  Something you then need to consider is energy on target, which at subsonic velocities becomes a matter of bullet mass.  The winner in this case is the .510 (as 1000-gr projectiles are readily available as are Raufuss ... right Grinch? )  Problem with the .510 in a truly "quiet" role is that the HUGE projectile actually becomes far more audible in flight (ever here Might Mo's trash cans fly over? or even 105 for that matter) The smaller 330 and 338 will be better in that regard.

Something to consider:  The larger Whispers use the BR case, and from the pictures you can see how much bullet protrudes.  Were I to do something similar on the AR-10 platform, I might consider the IMHSA version of the Savage case as a starting point so less bullet is "hanging out".  The 7mm variant itself is a consideration, with 250 gr RBBT Spitzers to be found.

Either way, Randall and I can set you up and not charge you for the privilege of using our stuff like someones does.  Randall does great work and he and I need to continue our chat on fun stuff.  Darn time difference ...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Randall is chambering for .338 Federal now...sweet! I bet it's a pretty decent long range cartridge with the heavier Sierras...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, that chart really help me understand alot more. I guess aiming about 9 feet higher is not that bad of a trade off for being more quite, ecspecialy at 500 yards.MartyW, I'm not totaly sure what you meen by "Either way, Randall and I can set you up and not charge you for the privilege of using our stuff like someones does" Do you meen I can try before I buy? I'm not located by you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:41:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I propose you invest in a tripod with T&E mechanisms if you really want to shoot subsonics all that way out! Range, refer to the ballsitic table, dial and go. Watch for fall of shot (if possible) and adjust! It's self-observed high-angle fire.

Simon
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Lol, ok. I will probably get my upper from you.  Quarterbore forums are up and have it's own whisper/subsonic section I will definatly have a bipod on the rifle. One of my last concerns is what is the bullet going to do to a flesh target at that range(500yards).
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top