Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 9:39:11 AM EDT
Posted this over at the "Competition & Accurate Forum" w/ no response?!? Thought I'd give it a shot here.

I'm thinking about putting together an A3 type carbine for 3-gun, defensive, & field work. A little input would be appreciated!

Basic platform: Rock River, BM Flat top, or other?

Optics: EOHolo, CMore, or other?

Backup sights: A3 (removable handle), A4 modular folding, none?

Barrel: chromemoly - lined / unlined, or SS? HBAR, M4, Heavy?

Brake: Y/N? If yes - which one?

Free float tube - worth it? If yes - which one? I'm looking at the BM modular. Like the idea of being able to attach a side mount sling.

Trigger group: JP single adj, Jewell, or RR 2 stage?

Well guys, what about it? Thanks in advance!

GCF
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#1]
At our local three gun matches you sometimes have to engage paper and steel at 200+ yards. magnified optics is a big plus. I currently use a 2x20 mini ACOG. In the past I had an Elcan that worked well. I've been thinking of setting up another rifle with a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x20mm Illuminated Circle Dot Reticle scope in ARMS rings.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting points - both. Appreciate the input.

Thinking about the EOTech Holo, but they don't seem to get a lotta commentary. Any thoughts as to their merit as a general purpose defense / match optic?

Regards - GCF
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Well since you added in field and defensive I would say you want a rig composed of:

Bushmaster 14.5"-16" Flattop (Fluted HBAR, M4 or lightweight)  if you want more accuracy than these chrome lined barrels offer then go all out and get a 5.56 chambered Krieger IMHO.

Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon TA31/TA11 or Trijicon TA01NSN with DrOptic or Aimpoint sight all with ARMS 40 BUIS

KAC 2 stage trigger or Accuracy Speaks single stage trigger

KAC FF RAS, KAC RAS 2 or ARMS SIR

Either no brake or a KKF brake

You will want a shorter stock than factory A2 length.  This could be an ACE stock, A1 Cavarms stock, fixed VLTOR or Magpul etc.

Also consider a Surefire light if you will be using the rifle at night and a foregrip to help with recoil and to supprt the weight of all this on your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
As previously mentioned, you need to decide what division you'll shoot in.  If in USPSA/IPSC Limited (Standard) division, then no optics are allowed (iron sights only).

If you're shooting USPSA/IPSC 3 gun matches, then you'll need to make the minor power factor (PF) of 165 (bullet wieght X velocity divided by 1,000 = PF).  You can make minor PF out of a 16" barrel with SOME factory ammo (Winchester Q3131a for instance), but it has to be hot ammo.  I'd stay away from any barrel shorter than 16" for that reason.  

Check out www.uspsa.org for the rule book.  I also like my JP single stage trigger and my Smith Enterprises post-ban brake.  

There's a good 3 gun forum on Brian Enos's site.  Check out http://brianenos.ibforums.com/

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon TA31/TA11 or Trijicon TA01NSN with DrOptic or Aimpoint sight all with ARMS 40 BUIS

View Quote

DevL, I've seen one TAO1NSN with DrOptic on it, the mount was a custom job. Does anyone make an off the shelf setup like that. I'd love to get one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top