Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2003 6:55:36 PM EDT
Just looking for some assistance on which carrier to put into my first build.  So, which Bolt Carrier is the 'best', the RRA 'enhanced' or the Bushmaster and what makes one better than the other?

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#1]
RRA, fully shrouded firing pin and partially relieved auto sear trip face.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My fairly new Bushy also has a fully shrouded firing pin.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:16:02 AM EDT
[#3]
If you aren't shy about running a Colt M16 bolt/carrier [url=http://store.yahoo.com/cdnn/m16bolasnewc.html]CDNN[/url] sells the whole shootin' match for $99.95 [:)]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:51:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Nooooooooooooo,not that thread again. Noooooooooooooo.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

[peep] [puke]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:38:00 AM EDT
[#6]
[url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=147440]M16 bolt in AR15?[/url]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just looking for some assistance on which carrier to put into my first build.  So, which Bolt Carrier is the 'best', the RRA 'enhanced' or the Bushmaster and what makes one better than the other?

View Quote

[b]Colt[/b]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Could somebody explain to me the story about the "shrouded pin" and "partially relieved auto sear trip face". Sounds like a M16 bolt to me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
My last 2 bolt and carrier assys. have been RRA because of the shroud.

I've been considering ordering just the enhanced RRA carriers to replace the others on my mostly Colt bolts.

Should I at $50 each?

Danny
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Those RRA carriers and bolts sound good!  Does RRA stake the gas keys on the carriers?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes they  are staked.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#12]
RRA carriers shrouded firing pin ramp makes the carrier 100% as easy to convert to full auto as a Bushmaster M16 carrier without an auto sear.  

If you do not own an auto sear and dont want to install an M16 carrier in your rifle due to legal concerns, please realise the RRA carrier can be made to fire full auto by removing the disconnector and using super soft primers and super glueing your firing pin in place or whatever else they might do in the ATF lab.

If you will run a RRA carrier it lacks one of the defining qualities of an AR15 carrier, namely the removal of the ramp to lock the gun uo if the disconnector is removed.  You might as well do what I did and just run the M16 carrier since thats not illegal.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Could somebody explain to me the story about the "shrouded pin" and "partially relieved auto sear trip face".
View Quote

Pics courtesy of Troy?

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19420[/img]
[center]shrouded pin on right[/center]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19419[/img]
[center]relieved auto sear trip face in middle[/center]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry Tweak I couldn't help myself [:D]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I just bought an RRA b/bc (about $95 delivered from Eagle Firearms) and notice the changes above when compared to my BM carrier.  The rear of RRA carrier is "full circle" like the BM, but the RRA has bit more meat.

How do these changes make the carrier more reliable?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How do these changes make the carrier more reliable?
View Quote

Most noticeably by keeping the hammer away from the underside of the firing pin. This is a continuing problem with home built guns using slotted carriers.

Realistically, a reliable carrier is one that is made well. Theoretically, the closer the weight of a carrier gets to that of an M16 carrier the more reliable the gun will be as the gun was designed for that mass.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#17]
There is A NEWCOMER.........

MIDWEST TACTICAL is selling JP enterprises improved 416 SS bolt carriers on the EE, they have the shrouded pin and 100% increased bolt carrier bearing surface as well as polished inside the bolt recess.

Looks like a nice carrier to me.

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:27:27 AM EDT
[#18]
416 SS? That's barrel steel and not even military grade SS barrel steel. Dunno how they would handle kBs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks to everyone for your input!!

I went ahead and ordered a Carrier group from CDNN today.  Should get it next week.

Now, does anyone know if the Red Extractor Spring and insert should be replaced with the black Colt or SAW version prior to getting this into the 14.5" upper (with the mandatory pinned/welded brake to make it legal) I'm in the process of putting together?

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks to everyone for your input!!

I went ahead and ordered a Carrier group from CDNN today.  Should get it next week.

Now, does anyone know if the Red Extractor Spring and insert should be replaced with the black Colt or SAW version prior to getting this into the 14.5" upper (with the mandatory pinned/welded brake to make it legal) I'm in the process of putting together?

View Quote

I replaced my spring with a Wolff spring just to be on the safe side.The spring that came with the bolt seemed weaker than the stock DPMS springs I've had.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I definetly would (and did).  The red insert and spring included in the CDNN Bolt Carrier & Bolt is very weak when I compared it to other stock springs.  As for trying to compare it to the SAW springs.. there is no comparison.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Mmmm. Pretty!  I see the extended firing pin ramp, and smaller cutout.  I am assuming it's an AR-15 carrier, and not M16, and if that is the case, it looks nice and heavy - very desireable.  Now I want to try that one too!
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got the enhanced BC in the RRA M4 I just built.
Aside from the shrouded F. Pin Area it seems a bit beefier than a standard AR BC. No problems with 500+ rds. The shrouded F. pin area does make it a tad bit more to clean however minor. The gas key screws are pretty well staked in. I like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top