Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 10:15:19 AM EDT
What's a good cleaning kit for the AR15, hopefully one that includes a chamber brush? I'm going to order one right now  My current one is in need of replacement (especially since my wife let the kids get ahold of it and lost some pieces ).
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Well there's the Dewey rods, Ray Vin bore guide and chamber-brush route or the more expediate OTIS kit, which is quite handy.

In true AR15.com fashion; I have both.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for otis buttstock cleaning kit
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the OTIS kit that I bought at Gander Mountain this weekend. Mine's not purpose-built for the AR, but it has bore brushes for every caliber I own. Time will tell on how it works.

I also have a USGI cleaning kit that I bought at a gunshow for $15. I like it, and as a side bonus, the steel rod chucks up in the drill quite nicely for when I don't feel like using the chamber brush manually.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the difference between the "civilian" and "military" otis buttstock kits?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#5]

I really like my Otis kit and I keep a boresnake handy for mopping up or qick run throughs.

I'm not positive but my "military" Otis kit has all the components blacked out instead of brass.  This may sound nice and tactical but drop one on the ground and it makes me wish I had the brass colored pieces.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What's the difference between the "civilian" and "military" otis buttstock kits?

IIRC, the military kit is principly designed for the 5.56mm caliber, whereas the civilian kits are designed for multiple calibers.

Mike

ps - I have the civilian kit, btw and was unaware of the "blacken" parts mentioned above, interesting to know......
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Can the otis kit remove a stuck case from the bore?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
i use the otis.
certain otis kits come with the brass rods which imo would dis-lodge most stuck cases.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The best cleaning kit to get is a stanard USGI kit, and a boresnake. $23 for the kit complete with oiler and carry puoch, $14 more for teh snake, ad your oil of choice to the oiler and your good to go. You can detail clean, field clean, just snake the bore and chamber if your in a hurry and only have a few seconds to spare, and most importantly, remove a squib lodged bullet or dislodge a stuck case. YMMV, JMHO.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Can the otis kit remove a stuck case from the bore?

Yes

My kit came with an attachment that goes on the cable that can be used to tap a stuck case out of the chamber or tap a squib round out of the barrel.  FWIW you can't shove it out like you would with a rod.  You have to use the weight of the attachment and repeatedly tap until the problem is resolved.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well there's the Dewey rods, Ray Vin bore guide and chamber-brush route or the more expediate OTIS kit, which is quite handy.

In true AR15.com fashion; I have both.

Mike

BIG +1 on the Dewey rods, bore guides and OTIS (if that trips your trigger).  

The real point being that none of these will damage your bore.  Never use uncoated rods, especially jointed sectional rods, and always use a bore guide WITH a rod (not necessary with OTIS or Boresnake.  Coated rods protect your bore, and bore guides protect your throat.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top