Posted: 2/9/2017 5:40:27 PM EDT
Hello my fellow black rifle builders!

Want to know which 80% jig is better?
Modulus Arms or 5D?

(FYI milspec 7075 80 lower)

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with the 5D. The modulus  works great.  Spend the extra money and get the heavy duty one.  I bought the the regular one first and destroyed it due to my router bit breaking and eating up the aluminum.  The steel is worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Well my buddy picked up my Modulus for me today, beings I am snowed in and stuck for the time being and I can say, it is a damn nice jig, this is the third jig I have purchased and it is by far the heaviest duty one I have had!

From all of the feeback I have read, it will work perfect for my particular situation which is not with a router, but a mill.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the modulus....

I have investigated the 5D one and think its a better investment.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you think its better?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do you think its better?
View Quote
The mill never touches the jig
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Modulus HD jig and I've been completely satisfied with it.  I can't say anything bad about the 5D because I've only seen what is online.  I will say that right now I'd probably still go with the Modulus because of how responsive and helpful the Modulus folks have been on the forum and the fact that it is on sale right now would make the decision easier.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The HD Modulus is not only on sale right now, it is in stock and will get to you quick, I just mounted a lower in it to do my first one with it when I can get in the shop, but I can say, it is a substantial piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the 5D... the only thing that I've been wearing out is drill bits, the jig and end mill still going strong after 3 lowers of mine and now I have friends cycling by house to borrow the set up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have the Modulus HD jig and I've been completely satisfied with it.  I can't say anything bad about the 5D because I've only seen what is online.  I will say that right now I'd probably still go with the Modulus because of how responsive and helpful the Modulus folks have been on the forum and the fact that it is on sale right now would make the decision easier.
View Quote

Thank you for your vote of confidence. I do stop by this forum daily to offer any help that I can. As always, I can also be reached at  [email protected] with any specific questions that you may have.
Regards,
Max
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the original Modulus jig, that was all aluminum.  On my 3rd lower, I messed up the upper plate when the end mill chattered and I pulled it out of the jig.  I ordered a replacement top plate and all has gone well.  Max was always willing to help with any questions I had, during the process.  If the new jig works better than my aluminum one, then it must be great!  I have used it on forged and billet lowers, and I see no difference in milling them.  Another vote for Modulus because of the terrific assistance from Max!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have the original Modulus jig, that was all aluminum.  On my 3rd lower, I messed up the upper plate when the end mill chattered and I pulled it out of the jig.  I ordered a replacement top plate and all has gone well.  Max was always willing to help with any questions I had, during the process.  If the new jig works better than my aluminum one, then it must be great!  I have used it on forged and billet lowers, and I see no difference in milling them.  Another vote for Modulus because of the terrific assistance from Max!!
View Quote

I started out with the original Modulus jig and I did a couple of lowers with it that went fine.  When the HD came out it looked enough nicer I passed the original one along to a friend of mine who has done several lowers with it since.  Besides just the steel parts which are worth the price of admittance, the other nice thing about the HD jig is they redesigned a few things so switching between plates for the top goes a lot faster.  I've done a number of lowers with the HD jig, both forged and billet.  I honestly believe that if they take their time and follow the instructions that anyone can successfully mill out a lower with the Modulus HD jig.  The hardest thing really is getting the speed of the router set correctly and figuring out how fast to move it when cutting.  Once you get that down it is nearly foolproof.  If a person has any issues with chattering all they usually need to do is adjust the speed until it goes away and maybe back the depth off to 1/2 the notches until they get a feel for it.  I've never had any problems but it is sure nice to know that the Modulus folks are there to help if I did.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#13]
5D Tactical

I never touched a router in my life and both receivers took just over a hour to finish.

Was thinking about the Modulus jig until I saw the 5d Jig video.

1st lower (still had some residue in it)

2nd lower

Here are both completed

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:43:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I cannot say enough positive about my Modulus Arms Jig and the support they've offered on this Forum.  

But, over the last year I've kinda became a collector of jigs.

I'm placing an order for the 5D Tactical Jig, the 25 minute completion time video interests me.  I have to try it for myself and I'm looking forward to "cutting chips" when it arrives.
View Quote
This is what sold me on it, 25 mins from assembly of the jig to the receiver being finished.

I am new to the 80% lower thing, I was considering the modulus jig or the easy arms jig until I saw the 5D jig.

Their simple yet ingenious design prevents the end mill from ever touching the jig, they where thinking outside
the box when they designed it.

The only thing you should ever wear out is the endmil and drill bits

And here is a video of the Modulus jig I found

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top