Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 2:39:40 PM EDT
I just got a DD XV which is advertised to have a Cold Hammer Forged barrel.  I chose it partially because of that.

Not every manufacturer, even using 4150 or 'Milspec' steel alloys uses this technique.

What benefits are there?

What benefits will the average Joe see?

Is it worth the extra $100+?  (I've done some comparisons and it seems to be over $100 - just look at the Spike's site - they offer some rifles/uppsers with it).

Thanks - just wanna know.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You bought one not knowing what, if any, benefit is has?  

I don't think you will find any benefit whatsoever.  Hammer forging is just a method that is good for high rates of production.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I think Paul from BCM said, unless you put down over 6000 rds a year dont even bother.

Dont quote me or him

Honestly, for most rec. shooters they wont beable to tell the difference between SS, CL, CHF, CM barrels. If its a work gun or target gun then you will.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Be it 4140, 4150, CHF, CM-V, etc, cut, or buttoned the bullet has no idea what steel is on the other side of the chrome lining as it is being pushed out the barrel.

Stick with a known brand of quality barrel, and you wont have anything to worry about.

This man speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all.  What I suspected.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Due to production process it's more difficult to make bad CHF barrel than bad classic barrel. But if someone tries hard enought...

That's is why with either type of barrels it's best to stick to well known manufacturers. Here in best regards are CHF barrel from HK (obviously), SAKO (TRG barrels - one of best "out of the box" precision rifles) and Lothar Walther (yes, they make CHF barrels too). Nitrided CHF barrels from FB Radom seem to be of good quality too. In Europe barrel is not "consumable spare part" but is considered (in most countries) as firearms itself - so changing barrel is costly and formally difficult. So we love CHF barrels for their extended life.

BTW CHF is best way to make true polygonal barrels. However long experience on bouth in HK ended with lands and grooves CHF barrels for HK416 and HK417. Looks like polygonal rifling works best where there is enought of bullet circumference to play with it (the bigger buller - the better results on accuracy). 5.56 is just to small to get benefits and 7.62 is on edge of any.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Be it 4140, 4150, CHF, CM-V, etc, cut, or buttoned the bullet has no idea what steel is on the other side of the chrome lining as it is being pushed out the barrel.

Stick with a known brand of quality barrel, and you wont have anything to worry about.

short and sweet answer
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top