Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/10/2005 12:18:51 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies on my previous post. It helped quite a bit to hear some views. Now for a few more questions.

I am looking at putting a vertical foregrip on my rifle. At the moment it has standard handguards. What are some good/popular rail guards? I prefer non-free float so it can be something I can easily install on my own, being a beginner I figure this would be the wiser choice.

I also would like to attach a bi-pod. I've heard a lot of good things about the harris ones. I've fondled one in Gander Mountain recently and likd what I saw. I would most likely go with the notched legs model. Any input on harris or the notched leg style? As well, what is a decent mount?

Again with the vertical fore grip, what does one look for in one? Durability, cost, rigidity...etc. Being that we have a pretty small local gun shop, I would most likely order one "in the blind" without handling it first. What are some models people go with?

I have an A3 upper. At the moment I have the standard carry and would like to replace it with a BUIS and maybe a flip up front sight that I could retract when using a scope. Any problems with leaving the front site base and using a scope with it? The main reason I want a BUIS in the rear s for easily changing between the scope and iron sights. Taking off the scope then screwing on the handle would get old.

I have a enough questions for one more post after I get some answers for this one. Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:51:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Weasel_Master:
Thanks for the replies on my previous post. It helped quite a bit to hear some views. Now for a few more questions.

I am looking at putting a vertical foregrip on my rifle. At the moment it has standard handguards. What are some good/popular rail guards? I prefer non-free float so it can be something I can easily install on my own, being a beginner I figure this would be the wiser choice.
simple non-freefloat would leave you with surfire,yhm, and a few others but there are free-float ones out there that install just as easy

I also would like to attach a bi-pod. I've heard a lot of good things about the harris ones. I've fondled one in Gander Mountain recently and likd what I saw. I would most likely go with the notched legs model. Any input on harris or the notched leg style? As well, what is a decent mount?
i like the brms which is the 6-9" swivel harris with notched legs. a decent mount for it would be yhm, fobus, tdi, knights, there are quick release ones as well but price is much more for the later. larue and arms are two i know of. i have the larue and think it does the job well

Again with the vertical fore grip, what does one look for in one? Durability, cost, rigidity...etc. Being that we have a pretty small local gun shop, I would most likely order one "in the blind" without handling it first. What are some models people go with?
i went out a got a tango down vfg and it fits the hand great and it has a sealed tube which will hold spare parts and what not along with a tape switch holder when a panel is removed for lights/lasers.

I have an A3 upper. At the moment I have the standard carry and would like to replace it with a BUIS and maybe a flip up front sight that I could retract when using a scope. Any problems with leaving the front site base and using a scope with it? The main reason I want a BUIS in the rear s for easily changing between the scope and iron sights. Taking off the scope then screwing on the handle would get old. i recommend the troy buis, its great, low profile, sturdy and everything else. with the front you could get a folding sight but with a powered scope you wont really notice it. with my 2x-3x there is a slight blur that i would have to look for to see it. with higher power scopes its not there.

I have a enough questions for one more post after I get some answers for this one. Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:54:37 PM EDT

Non-ff, a Midwest Industries 2-piece. Its a very solid unit..
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:17:02 PM EDT
With a scope 3X and up, you won't really notice (at all once you get up over 5X) the front site. There might be a gray ghost of the FSB at low power, but you won't even notice it at higher powers.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:34:45 PM EDT
What are some easy free float tubes to install? I have no experience nor tools for the AR. Would I be just as smart to buy a rail and send it in to have it installed? I'd prefer to do it on my own so I wouldn't have to skip shooting it for a few weeks.

Also, how hard is it for a beginner to change a barrel? I know you have to check headspace and all so I figure it'd be easier to send it in and get a different barrel put on professionally. Its a preban barrel with a perm-attached mini-y comp. It's loud as hell and I'd prefer to put a fh on it. Otherwise I can always send it in to ADCO and get a new one attached.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:36:52 PM EDT
Check out the build it yourself section on this sight. Tons of info on how to change barrels and add a free float tube.

You basically going to have to remove the barrel to install the FF tube anyways.
Top Top