Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 1:50:31 PM EDT
First, I searched. Search = Free Float

A lot of people have raised questions about free floating in terms of better accuracy. Im not looking and free floats for accuracy, but more for the interest of adding on accessories and not wanting to but stress on the barrel. I have asked questions about putting a Free Float in the Colt industry forum, and it seems the favored are: DD, LaRue, and KAC. Im mainly interested in the DD and LaRue FF in the 7.0 Length. I have read that the LaRue has a feature that prevents the FF from spinning and was wondering if DD also has this feature or if anyone has had any problems with their DD rail spinning. I would go for the LaRue hands down if it didnt have the company logo and the "Live Free or Die" text on it. And if there is a way to get one with nothing on it, i would deffiently do it, so any suggestions there would be helpful. Maybe i could get it painted or something. With that said i like the simplicty of the DD rail because of its lack of advertising. I have heard that both DD and LaRue rails are very high quality and that is why i look at it now from a cosmetic point of view. ( I know im probably going to get flammed for this but its not like im choosing cosmetics over quality, or am i?)

Do i need a FF rail? Im looking at mounting a flashlight, bipod and VFG. I will have the bipod off when i have the VFG on.

Dont be too harsh on me, as you can see from my post count i am a noobie!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
My Colt with stock hand guards shot accuratly, then I put Surefire m73 and it shot with the same accuratcy. That's all I'm concerned about is that the round places where I aim.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
FF (free floating) Rail benefits: lighter than a non FF rail, less heat conduction from the barrel, and more options such as longer lengths, slimmer or fatter depending on your preference, etc.

The SureFire M73 is not a true FF rail. I just got rid of mine and went with the Larue 9" rail and a Larue Low Profile Gas Block which replaced my front sight. Now I use a Troy folding front sight.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Both my Larue 13.2 and DD 9.0 have the company name and other text on them. The Larue is not as noticable, but that may be due to its size.

If you want a rail, they are both the same in my opinion, and you won't be wrong with either.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would go for the LaRue hands down if it didnt have the company logo and the "Live Free or Die" text on it. And if there is a way to get one with nothing on it, i would deffiently do it, so any suggestions there would be helpful. Maybe i could get it painted or something.

Ok, stop the presses! I have to ask why does it matter that that particular saying is embossed on the Larue rail system? Seriously.

And, in case you don't know the origin of the that statement, it has a very patriotic origin as you might have already guessed:

New Hampshire State Motto

You could definitely get the rail system refinished but again why bother? Seriously. Whatever text is on the rail system doesn't affect the functionality of it and the Larue rail system is generally considered to be the best one currently available.

For further advice, read my sig line.

BTW, I'm not flaming you. You have to be have with whatever you buy but in all seriousness, you would be doing yourself a disservice to let aesthetics get in the way of choosing the most durable and functional gear for your needs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
...........sounds like you`ve been confused by the vast number of those who have posted thier opinions on free float handguards vs whatever...........you have to decide whether or not to spend the $$$ on overcooked parts....and what you reaLLY NEED...maybe it would be a good idea to look at your concern as.....what do i really need and why....then decide how much crap you want to hang on your rifle......as to wether you need to relieve bbl tension or not......if you`re a ar "yuppy" and need to have the "ultimate".....then by all means....spend for the very best ...and highest price...fancy 4 rib foreribs.....fill it with everything you can possibly afford.....and tell everybody that youre getting 1 inch groups at 300 yards.....or....be honest....and say.....hey....i have a ....std...GOOD...quality....rifle....that can produce...1"....groups @...100...yrds....this is a GREAT...place to start......and where do i go from here....vs....what do i do next........well....build rourself a rifle.....that works good...and you can be proud of......and start you`re collection of homebrew rifles....that suit "your".own construction............then.....you have something to be proud of.....then relay you`re own experiences here.....live and learn....AND...live and teach......
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
BlackandGreen, for the love of God, for the children, please use paragraphs before we all go blind!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...........sounds like you`ve been confused by the vast number of those who have posted thier opinions on free float handguards vs whatever...........you have to decide whether or not to spend the $$$ on overcooked parts....and what you reaLLY NEED...maybe it would be a good idea to look at your concern as.....what do i really need and why....then decide how much crap you want to hang on your rifle......as to wether you need to relieve bbl tension or not......if you`re a ar "yuppy" and need to have the "ultimate".....then by all means....spend for the very best ...and highest price...fancy 4 rib foreribs.....fill it with everything you can possibly afford.....and tell everybody that youre getting 1 inch groups at 300 yards.....or....be honest....and say.....hey....i have a ....std...GOOD...quality....rifle....that can produce...1"....groups @...100...yrds....this is a GREAT...place to start......and where do i go from here....vs....what do i do next........well....build rourself a rifle.....that works good...and you can be proud of......and start you`re collection of homebrew rifles....that suit "your".own construction............then.....you have something to be proud of.....then relay you`re own experiences here.....live and learn....AND...live and teach......

Or, you could get a better job.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy Shit!
Reading that gives me a seizure!

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not only do you need to re-take English, but you also need to learn how to read. I have clearly stated above what my concern is for what exactly i am planning on putting on the rifle. You simply just had to say: a) you just need a rail b) yes you should free float. Obviously im not looking for something i can use as a conversation piece if, by many peoples standards LaRue is a top notch product, but yet im interested in the product itself not saying anything on it.

Hmmm maybe you should read before you post!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the big thread on free float and railed foreends

I love your posts....In 90% of the threads i've seen you participate in its either:

1. A link to another thread
2. "Search"

After reading the first sentence of my first post....Please do a search for Free Float and tell me if the link to the thread you posted in here comes up.....If i said i searched it dont you think i would have read something titled " THE BIG THREAD ON FREE FLOAT AND RAILED FOREENDS"
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess im not understanding....I thought that i clearly presented my question in the first post. But I have yet to see a reply that answer's any of my questions. Like i said, i have search for "Free Float" and read all of the threads regarding the subject, yet was unable to find the answer im looking for. Some of the replies so far have really got me confused especially from BlackandGreen, who in no way answered or came close to answering any questions. I know alot of members get irratated with "noobs" who seem to ask the same questions over and over and in different ways. So maybe instead of posting replies like eklikwhoa, someone can actually take the 2 mins out of their day to answer the question!

Thank You!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#14]
a black sharpie will make the larue more suitable to your tastes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're going to hang stuff off your rifle, get a free float rail.  Don't bother with the non-free float.

Some folks would say you'd be better off spending the cash on a carbine course.

And get over your issue with the logo on the Larue!

If you're going to keep the front sight mounted on the barrel, go with DD, it's lighter.  If you are considering mounting the front sight on the rail, go with Larue.

Keep in mind, a railed forend does change the handling of your carbine-- especially the Larue will make it swing a little heavier.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I am still wondering if anyone has had a DD spin on them. Or does the DD rails have the same "anti-spin" as the Larue?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:46:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#19]
...............hey..........just trying to beat the question up...........got to MAKE SURE it`s dead.....since someone got RILED......guess it ain`t dead yet!!!!!............................ps.....YOU DID WANT TO GET FLAMED...........NO?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top