Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/23/2012 11:14:14 PM EDT
so ive looked all over online and i cant find exactly what im looking for. here is my situation....

im building my first AR and i thought i knew exactly what i wanted but due to some further thought, i am kinda re thinking things. i know i want a bayonet and thats where the questions come in. i was originally going to go with a 16" barrel with a mid length gas system. but now im starting to wonder, with the gas block having to be in front of the handguard, so that the bayonet clip will be available to accept the bayonet, it seems that its going to leave me with a pretty short hand guard. so, due to this new thought, im wondering if going with a 20" barrel would be a better idea.

if anyone has any pics of their 16" mid length gas system with a bayonet attached, id love to see what it looks like. also, with a 20". or if anyone just has feedback for me, that would be great too, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#1]
A mid length gas system will have a 9 inch rail or handguard while a rifle length system will have a 12 inch rail. That may give you an idea of the space you are working with.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a pictures of my bayonet on my 14.5 carbine or 16 midlength, included the standard rifle (20"),  but I can be sure to you it will works fine on any issue bayonets.  The bayonet will not work on a regular carbine 7' DI  unless you get an adapter for the bayonet, which is difficult to find.

Bayonet are for 14.5 or 20 standard only
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#3]
As has been said, a bayonet will only work on a 14.5" barrel with carbine gas, 20" barrel with rifle gas or a 16" with midlength gas system, all assuming the use of a standard A2 front sight base with bayo lug.

How much rail/forearm you feel comfortable with will depend on how long your arms are and your shooting style. I'm 5'9" and middy handguards work fine for me with my magpul ACS stock on the 1st slot from fully collapsed. I prefer my support arm extended out but not fully straight and my support hand is just behind the FSB.

If you wanted to mount a light or something on the side next to the FSB, check out the Centurion Arms C4 Rail - Midlength Cutout:

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#4]
with a 9" handguard on a midlength gas system, will that still put the gas block in front of the handguard so that im able to use the bayonet lug?
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 3:39:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
with a 9" handguard on a midlength gas system, will that still put the gas block in front of the handguard so that im able to use the bayonet lug?

Boomslang64 answered this already...
Quoted:
A mid length gas system will have a 9 inch rail or handguard while a rifle length system will have a 12 inch rail. That may give you an idea of the space you are working with.

Need pics?

16" middy with Daniel Defense LITE 9"

16" middy with Daniel Defense Omega X 9"

16" middy with Larue 9"

Since you talked about a 14.5" middy, here's a pic one with pinned extended A2 flash hider and Larue 9". It looks like it may still work...

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are your standard options for a bayonet to mount "correctly".

1. 14.5" barrel w/ carbine length gas system.

2. 16" barrel w/ mid-length gas system.

3. 20" barrel w/ rifle length gas system.

The 16" mid-length setup really shines for several reasons.

1. Your overall length is kept relatively short and compact.

2. Your not sacrificing very much velocity loss (velocity is good).

3. Your going to have a softer/smoother shooting rig compared to the carbine length system.

4. No NFA paperwork, wait time, extra cost etc.

5. You will be able to properly mount a bayonet.

Short and sweet, but hope that helps.

O3 out!!

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i know i want a bayonet and thats where the questions come in.

Don't think too hard about something you will never use.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks all...sorry it was such a nub question, but you guys helped..lol...really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Here ya go. On my mid-length.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#11]
M7 on a 20" Colt.

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#12]
16" middy.  Obviously this would be used for long range cqb against zombies cause I anticipate zombies moving fast!  
Zombie chopping accessories included.

Added the famous tactical bottle opener to throw at zombies when I run out of ammo...  

Al
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Incidently the bayonet lock up is the same on the M1 carbine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Top is my USGI M16A2 Colt 20" rifle upper with a M7 IDF bayonet, at bottom is my Colt 6721 with Rock Creek-GTS midlength barrel and LaRue Tactical 9.0 midlength 9" rails with a M7 bayonet, both mounted properly.

On top is my same Colt USGI M16A2 rifle upper with USMC OKC3S bayonet, bottom is my LMT 16" carbine gas system with an extended handle M7 bayonet, they don't make these extended bayonet anymore but you could check E-bay from time to time sometimes they show up.

There's still an extended Colt marked bayonet that is available but they're expensive.

http://prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a03

A good suggestion is member TrackSol Centurion Arms C4 Midlength Cutout rail pic, you get the extra 2" longer side rails and still could mount a bayonet on the bayonet mount.

If you want to use a 12" FF rails, you could chop (shave) the sight but keep the bayonet lug, then have a gunsmith like ADCO remove the front end of the bottom rail so that the bayonet could be mounted on the bayonet lug.

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
So for a comparison here is mine again "Closeup" 16" middy and my sons 14.5" middy.

16" middy "same as in post above"

14.5" middy...

I'm thinking if you shot the 14.5" enough with the bayonet attached you could damage the hilt from heat but lets be real, bayonets are mostly for show or just to have nowadays so... I know this is not necessarily address your questions but I hope it helps with your decisions.

And cuddos to alpha on a nice collection
Al
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]
ahurs530, what gas block do you have on them? it looks like it has the flip up sight. even tho you have a scope, does it stand up pleanty high enough for you? i was looking at one a lot like that but was scared that if i used a rear flip up sight with it, it wouldnt be the right level.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ahurs530, what gas block do you have on them? it looks like it has the flip up sight. even tho you have a scope, does it stand up pleanty high enough for you? i was looking at one a lot like that but was scared that if i used a rear flip up sight with it, it wouldnt be the right level.

Top is an ARMS #41 B-L Silhouette.  I use a 1-4 scope and you can't really co witness with it (front sight post is blurry while using most variable 1-4 scopes).  When I do use a red dot I can co witness with low scope rings.  This is due to the VLTOR CASV hand-guard and has nothing to do with the flip up sight.

Bottom is a YHM I believe.

Both stand the same height as permanent front sight posts.  I'm not sure if I would use them in combat since they are not pinned but for someone who likes to tinker they work great for me.

Al
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#18]
16" middy is perfect for bayonet.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't have any pics handy, but several others have posted pics and I must say that pics of an AR15 with 16" barrel and mid-length gas system are on virtually every manufacturer's website including Del Ton's photos identical to my own Sierra 316/MOE

While I consider the handguards on a "carbine length" gas system a bit short (unless shooting from the hip on rock & roll - which I don't get to do any more), I have never felt any shortage of handguard space on an AR with a mid-length gas system.

I'm not sure of your exact location, but if there is any LGS or even Walmart with firearms in the sporting goods department in your area, the simplest answer is simply to go handle an AR with a mid-length gas system on a real 16" barrel.

NOTE that a real 16" barrel is quite different from a 14.5" barrel with an extended muzzle brake/flash hider welded on, because the 14.5" barrel always uses a carbine length gas system regardless of what is welded on the end to make it civilian-legal.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top