Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 6:38:25 AM EDT
Anyone know if the M9 Bayonet will fit over the 5.5" FH?

Thinking of picking one up for kicks - if it won't fit the rifle, I'll find another knife
Don
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Guess I'll have to try it and post when i find out

Anyone interested?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious too!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#4]
nope....will not fit, at least not without some modification......the 5.5" flash hiders in general are a lot thicker diameter than a standard A2 or A1 FH.......you would either have to open up the "loop" on the bayo. to make it larger and fit or machine down the thinkness of the 5.5" FH.....either way you would have to take a lot of material out of the bayo. or the FH one....i would not recommend it but that's me......if you want a bayonet on an AR then just buy or build you a 20" barrel rifle with the bayonet lug and an A2 FH on it to go with your 11.5"/5.5" carbine......one can never have enough AR's.......

just my .02

camaro
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Camaro,

Bet you're right...Oh well.  Maybe I'll get the bayo anyway - can't go wrong with a good knife

'Course I have wanted another AR...hmmmmm
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a used m-7 from EE and wondered the same thing.  Someone told me it would be too tight but with just a little turning with my sanding drum on a drill it fit just fine.  As for the length however, it is about 1 1/2" short but there was a thread awhile back that showed how a guy cut it and added a little lenght inside the handle.  Check with Rusty Tx on EE AR accessories and maybe he can show you the picture of it.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I put one on mine without any issues.....  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to be an agitator, but I'm puzzled as to why anyone would want to fit a bayonet to a model of AR that never was fitted with one in it's military version.

Wanting a bayo for a copy of the M16A1, or M16A2, or M4 I can understand.  I'm a military version type AR nut myself, and I suppose I'll get around to picking up a repesentatrive bayonet one of these days.  But trying to fit a bayo to what is already an imperfect copy of a military type that never had one in the first place?  I'm sorry. I just don't get it.

Can someone give me a logical explanation?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I did it because I had been given an M9, and I wanted to see if it would fit.  It did, but I gave the M9 to Scorpion34 as I really have no liking for the M9s.  I think the M7 is a better pigsticker.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Good Knife+AR Nut=resasonable to put together

I'm not going to run around the neighborhood with my bayonet on my rifle.  I just figured that if I want a good knife (i've heard the M9 is) might as well go with one that has multiple purposes...

Not trying to go for realism, or historical representation.  My 11.5/5.5 will be coming off soon anyway for a 14.5 with phantom.

I am not an ubertacticalswatninjadeltasealsniperoperator that is crusing the gun shows thinking im all that and a stripper clip

D
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:30:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope - Didn't fit - could machine it to fit, but I won't.

Im in the market for a 14.5 with a phantom anyway...maybe this will push that along.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top