Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 4:07:26 PM EDT
I have searched through a few pages of the forums but can't find anything specific.  I was just wondering what length of handguard i should be getting for a 14.5in barrel.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on the gas system.  If you have a carbine gas system then you will need carbine handguards.  If its a mid-length, you'll need mid-length handguards and so on.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It depends on the gas system.  If you have a carbine gas system then you will need carbine handguards.  If its a mid-length, you'll need mid-length handguards and so on.

+1

rifle length gas system uses rifle handguards
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have searched through a few pages of the forums but can't find anything specific.  I was just wondering what length of handguard i should be getting for a 14.5in barrel.  

be more specific about what barrel you are using other than length
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the barrel

These are the handguards i'd like to get

i can't find specifics for the length between the end and the gas block
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys rule.  Just so i'm 100% clear because it's freefloat that means it's all one peice.  Since it's all once peice like you said i will need to remove the fsb to slide it on but i can put it back on using the one that came with the barrel.   Since i am planning on removing it to get the handguard on i could just replace it with something better.  Does anyone have a url handy to a posting talking about advantages/disadvantages of different fsb's?  In the meantime i'll do some searching.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#8]
If I'm not mistaken, that barrel you're looking at already has the muzzle device pinned on to bring it to 16".  It'll have to be unpinned to take the FSB off and install the FF front end.

While I dont have an AR (yet) and I probably shouldn't be saying anything, if I were you, I'd buy a 14.5" barrel kit without a break/flashhider, build up your upper the way you want it, then get whatever break or flashhider (Izzy, Vortex, Phantom, etc) and have it pinned on.  And dont attach your upper to a lower reciever until you get that flashhider pinned on .
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#9]
yep, the crappy non-flash hiding izzy flashhider has to come off which is pinned.

fsb i like pri and the std. fsb might have to be cut off as well.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
great choice on bbl. and rail but the 14.5 is more hassle than anything
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top