Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 12:04:36 PM EDT
I am going to buy a new M4 Bushmaster soon.  I have been doing some reading on this site for the past 3-4 days, and I keep coming across horror stories about the Loudness, and loss of bullet velocity due to the Fixed Y comp that comes with the Gun.  Here is my question..
Is it worth the time/effort to have an M4 specially built with this Upper found at this link?  http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/post-ban/pura2b16m4.asp
The Part is PURA2B 16M4.  I got this idea from another post, I don't remember that persons name sorry.
How loud is the gun?  Use a scale of 1-10, ten being the loudest gun you ever heard.
I hope I am not asking stupid questions, but I thought before I spend the cash I would bring my little dilemma before the Experts.  
Any help or suggestions Will be greatly appreciated.
Jlink
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't fired this gun, but I do have some experience with how loud it is.  I was at the range the other day with my Rock River Arms upper M4(fake Flash Hider that does nothing, basically a regular barrel with nothing on the end).  Halfway through my time there I was getting ready to shoot when someone opened up 7 bays down with me with something LOUD.  I put my rifle down and stepped back to note that it was an AR.  I figured someone had an AR that was for a different caliber.  Went down to take a look while this guy was reloading and found it was a bushmaster with the mini-y comp.  I woudn't say it was the loudest gun I've ever heard, but it was probably twice as loud as mine.
From reading other posts on the board, I would go with a different comp or none at all.
Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It is worth the time/effort to get the 16" M4 upper.

But better yet is the lightweight rifle [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2x16sl.asp[/url] no annoying blast, its even lighter, and its just as accurate.

Or you can do what many of us do.  Buy a complete lower from your FFL - then order an upper 'custom built'.  You could order a flattop with the lightweight barrel for example.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my bushy m4 with the miny y comp,but it is very loud, on a scale of 1-10 I would rate it a 10 for loudness also a 10 for effectiveness,it is a love hate thing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd purchased a bushy A2 shorty, than added Car stock and brake, all postban configuration.[:)]
[IMG]http://www.metrophotohost.com/gallery_0010/gallery_albums/TMO-Member-Favorite-Battle-Rifles/TGbushyM4.jpg[/IMG]

It has beed 100% dependable.

TG
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to make things more difficult, if I were to build another carbine from ground up, i would seriously consider a mid length carbine.  Armalite and Rock river makes those and the advantage of lower impulse on the gas will definitely make a enhance carbine which is most likely the wave of the future.  for the past thirteen years I have been shooting a variation of the M4, I am going to a mid length for my next build.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Bushmaster M-4 type A-2 rifle, and mine is in stock condition.

I have one suggestion if you are looking for an excellent AR-15 type rifle, 'buy it'.

And wear ear plugs in any configuration.

It is an excellent tactical rifle in every regard.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies.  I am having my M4 built with that Upper that I mentioned above.  
If anyone is interested in the part# of the whole gun is PCWA2X16M4.  That will build you an M4 Carbine w/o Y Comp that cause the loudness.
jlink
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top