BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2017 2:38:52 PM EDT
Hello,

Having a problem here..
If I put in a full magazine and pull the charging handle.  First bullet loads fine and shoots.
Shell casing ejects and the next bullet to load gets jammed at an angle from the follower on the magazine into the feed ramp with the Bolt Carrier Group rammed half way into the bullet.  
I then sometimes can't pull the charging handle back to free the BCG, so I have to drop the magazine, pull the charging handle and pull the round out.

The jammed bullet usually has a good dent in the middle of it.  Or will have a nice drag dent on it.  All from the bottom tooth of the bolt.

If I clear the jam, reinsert magazine, charge and fire, all good.  but Next round is once again jammed.

I've tried about 10 different magazines (all preban of different sizes and metal and plastic)
This happens about 90% of the time.  Occasionally will I be able to fire more than 2 rounds at a time without the jam.

So is the BCG coming back into battery too fast and my buffer tube spring too soft?  too strong?
Is the tooth of the Bolt not bringing the next round into the barrel from the magazine properly?

It was working fine a couple of months ago.  with maybe only a couple of these FtF jams.
Then the last two times out..  Happening more and more.  So that's why i brought like 10+ different magazines to see if that was the problem.  And yesterday was brutal.  90% failures.
I haven't cleaned the gun in a little while.  But it's only been a couple hundred rounds.  So not that dirty.
Ammo is Federal Eagle 223 55g
And I have not tried cleaning it yet to see if that makes a difference.

BCM Upper Rec M4, Anderson BCG, Daniel Def M4 556 barrel, CMMG Gas tube, Brownells AR-15/M16 MIL-Spec Buffer Tube Assembly
Lower is Spikes Multi

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Jay
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
First step would be to use a single round in the mag and fire. does the bolt stay open? If not, look for gas leak or carbon build up limiting the gas.

Check chamber with a light really good and look for build up. Clean well, take bolt apart and clean well.

These would be the first things to check for and obviously try different mags.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What brand of mags?  I can probably guess.........
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Still sounds like a mag problem even though you mentioned you tried several...
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
All different kinds of Pre Bans from OKay, to Colt, to Orlite.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First step would be to use a single round in the mag and fire. does the bolt stay open? If not, look for gas leak or carbon build up limiting the gas.

Check chamber with a light really good and look for build up. Clean well, take bolt apart and clean well.

These would be the first things to check for and obviously try different mags.
View Quote
The couple of times it worked without jamming it did hold open on last round.

Sooo..  I think to help troubleshoot.  I'm going to clean the rifle. If that doesn't change anything and same problem persists..
I have a Colt upper on a similar lower that shoots those same mags without issue.  
I'm going take the BCG from the Colt and see if same problem or works better.  
That will help me determine if it has anything to do with the whole Anderson BCG or possibly the Gas Key on it.

I could also swap the whole lower from the Colt and see if the different Buffer Tube and spring makes a difference..  If you think that's worth trying?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have had 3 rifles (From 2 different LE Agencies) cross my path that used to work, then were having a feeding issue from what I believe is the same as you describe.  What there rifles were doing is that you could load the rifle, locking it into battery, the firing, unlocking and extracting the empty casing, ejecting it, recocking the hammer, but the new live live round would be pushed off the magazine but only go about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way forward and stop, with the new live round have a long crease on the case.  It didn't make a difference in any of these rifles if it was on the right or left feed ramp, different magazines or ammo didn't make a difference.  I could manually cycle a magazine of live rounds through these rifles with no issues, but when I would fire them they would only fire one live round and the feeding malfunction would occur.
View Quote
That is exactly what is going on.

Quick question though.  (I am using milspec tube and stock.  But being in Massachusetts, I had to pin the stock in one position).
How would being able to move the stock back and forth affect the buffer tube?  Doesn't it just travel over the buffer tube like a sleeve and lock into place without any function to the tube or spring itself?
Or are you saying the wrong size spring was used inside the buffer tube?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#9]
It's always hard to say for certain what's wrong without handling or shooting a gun.
I would do as others said and clean and inspect it good to start with.
From what you describe I think it's a good possibility the bottom of your carrier may be causing an issue as it moves rearward. As the carrier slides back it may be scraping across the top round in the mag and knocking it loose or out of position and then as it comes back forward it is unable to grab the round as it should.
If this is what's happening it could be a problem with the bottom of the carrier or with the magazine release or even the bolt catch. It could also be a problem with the buffer tube or retainer. It could also be the buffer face / rear of carrier mating surfaces are damaged.
Since several mags all do the same thing it is not likely a mag problem but it could still be a mag issue if mags do not sit into the receiver properly.
I would cycle rounds by hand fast as you can and see if you can replicate what happens manually. Try to see if the rounds in the mag are effected by the carrier moving rearward. Check the bottom and rear of the carrier for any obvious problems.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In all 3 rifles that I speak of, all had a bent receiver extension (buffer tube), where the bottom of the stock had been struck on something that caused the receiver extension to bend upwards (As if you are behind the rifle shooting it).  This upward bend (about 1/4" total) which ran from the front of the receiver extension (buffer tube), to the back.  This malfunction or bend to the receiver extension (buffer tube), had nothing to do with adjusting the position of the collapsible stock on the receiver extension, what it had to do is that the stock had been struck on something which in turn caused things to get bent.  The buffer & action spring (buffer spring) would travel forward and backwards in the receiver extension as normal.  The problem is that the bolt carrier goes back into the receiver extension (buffer tube), and when it's bent, the bolt carrier will get pushed towards whatever direction the bend makes it, and in these rifles the bent receive extension caused the back of the bolt carrier to go upwards as it cycled rearward, and when the back of the bolt carrier went upwards it caused the front of the bolt carrier to go downward of which resulted in the top of the ammunition in the magazine to get creased by the bottom of the bolt lugs.

As for a collapsible stock that has been pinned or fixed into one position for ban states, if you can unpin the stock and remove it from the tube, you might be able to see the ibend along its entire length from front to back (especially if you put it up against another tube or a ruler/yard stick).

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote
Good idea.  I can quickly see if it's a buffer problem buy putting the upper on a different lower..  If it cycles fine..  Could be the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Since several mags all do the same thing it is not likely a mag problem but it could still be a mag issue if mags do not sit into the receiver properly.
I would cycle rounds by hand fast as you can and see if you can replicate what happens manually. Try to see if the rounds in the mag are effected by the carrier moving rearward. Check the bottom and rear of the carrier for any obvious problems.
View Quote
That's another good idea after I swap lowers to check the buffer tube.  Rip the charging handle back a bunch of times and see if manually cycling the bullets does anything with loading the next round.
If that works fine..  Could bring me into the gas tube/port area for troubleshooting.
And I can do it with snap caps in my house tonight instead of waiting to go the range.  Don't need to accidentally put a bullet in the foundation wall.  Wife would kill me..
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Alrighty..  I cleaned the AR thoroughly.  It was pretty dirty.
And then I cycled 4 snap caps through it fast and it loaded and ejected flawlessly.

Except!  I did get it fail a couple of times when I was slow and weak on pulling the charging handle and not coming back with the bcg at full speed.
So that being said, if it does fail with live ammo it's because the bcg is not coming back fast enough or going all the way back into the buffer tube..

When I test it at the range, And if I get the same bullet jams.  I'll start by swapping the lower to test the buffer spring from another gun.
Then work my way to swapping out BCG's and see if that is sole problem.

Hopefully its all a part that i can swap out to narrow down.  Cause if all of that doesn't work..  it could be the gas tube and that requires a lot more taking apart and break down etc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Alrighty..  I cleaned the AR thoroughly.  It was pretty dirty.
And then I cycled 4 snap caps through it fast and it loaded and ejected flawlessly.

Except!  I did get it fail a couple of times when I was slow and weak on pulling the charging handle and not coming back with the bcg at full speed.
So that being said, if it does fail with live ammo it's because the bcg is not coming back fast enough or going all the way back into the buffer tube..

When I test it at the range, And if I get the same bullet jams.  I'll start by swapping the lower to test the buffer spring from another gun.
Then work my way to swapping out BCG's and see if that is sole problem.

Hopefully its all a part that i can swap out to narrow down.  Cause if all of that doesn't work..  it could be the gas tube and that requires a lot more taking apart and break down etc.
View Quote
Strange that the gun worked fine before and now has problems. I say that because if the carrier is indeed only moving rearward slightly and not enough to fully strip a round it would seem it now has less gas than before? Load only one round in the chamber with an empty magazine and fire it to see if it locks the carrier back as it should on the last round. This will tell you if it is indeed the carrier not traveling to the rear enough. If it does lock back then you know it is not a gas problem.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Short stroking?
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#15]
From the description it sounds like classic bolt-over-round.

When everything works, the bolt carrier is all the way back when the magazine spring has shuffled the next round in the mag to the top ready for the bolt carrier to go forward and shove it into the chamber. If the mag spring is weak that top round comes up late and so, the bolt contacts it somewheres in the middle and it ends up with the bolt digging into the case and the bullet somewhere around the feedlip area, bending the round sorta like a bannana. If the rifle is over-gassed OR....the buffer spring is weak OR the buffer is too light it can cause the bolt to sysle too fast and brings about this same issue.

Try a heavier buffer, check the spring. Check the mag springs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Short-cycling for whatever reason. Maybe gas tube is loose - pull on it at the gas block/front sight to see if it moves. Look for a roll pin which should secure it. Sometimes certain ammo is not strong enough to function in a particular set-up. Sometimes its a cruddy/poorly-lubricated rifle. Then you have the more bizarre things, some of which have been posted above. Should be quick to determine if the buffer tube has been damaged/dislocated so its dented or not in line with the bore. On a clean, lubed rifle in good condition the action should cycle freely and without excess drag or noise. Sometimes a new rifle will feel draggy so we hand cycle them as fast as possible a few hundred times. This 'bolt-override' jam is fairly common and is usually the result of failure of the bolt to retract far enough to pick up the case head on the way forward. Since it does accomplish this on manual loading, you can basically skip a lot of possible causes and concentrate on clean, lube, and possible gas leak or low-powered ammo. The only other thing in the buffer tube that could cause it would be a recoil spring that is too stiff.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok. Went to the range this morning.
It ran fine for a while. I put it down to work on other stuff. Then FtF started happening again when I went back to it.

Ran out of time to start swapping lowers or bcg.
Here is a slow mo video of it not picking up next round.
Didn't get video of it jamming 2nd round when that happened. (it was hard to shoot left handed and then video righty)

Only about 80 rounds through it before the problems atarted. So I'm guessing when it started to heat up. Got dirty. And cooled a little.

https://youtu.be/yH3QiclSHVM

https://youtu.be/-6H0SfZWFls
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok. Went to the range this morning.
It ran fine for a while. I put it down to work on other stuff. Then FtF started happening again when I went back to it.

Ran out of time to start swapping lowers or bcg.
Here is a slow mo video of it not picking up next round.
Didn't get video of it jamming 2nd round when that happened. (it was hard to shoot left handed and then video righty)

Only about 80 rounds through it before the problems atarted. So I'm guessing when it started to heat up. Got dirty. And cooled a little.

https://youtu.be/yH3QiclSHVM

https://youtu.be/-6H0SfZWFls
View Quote
You have a weird situation. It appears that the carrier is short stroking but just barely? I say short stroking because I do not see the carrier slamming to the rear, just barely moving to the rear enough to not pick up the round.
Does it lock back on an empty mag? This should be your biggest priority to find out.
Strange that it works for so many rounds before the issue starts to happen. Possibly the little bit of grime from shooting is slowing the carrier just enough to start fully short stroking.
You may end up needing to enlarge the gas port but I would check and double check any and all things that may be slowing the carrier before all out blaming the gas.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You have a weird situation. It appears that the carrier is short stroking but just barely? I say short stroking because I do not see the carrier slamming to the rear, just barely moving to the rear enough to not pick up the round.
Does it lock back on an empty mag? This should be your biggest priority to find out.
Strange that it works for so many rounds before the issue starts to happen. Possibly the little bit of grime from shooting is slowing the carrier just enough to start fully short stroking.
You may end up needing to enlarge the gas port but I would check and double check any and all things that may be slowing the carrier before all out blaming the gas.
View Quote
It does not lock back on last round.  But it did lock back on empty magazine and manual charging handle pull..
Sooo my guess is bcg is not going all the way back.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

From what I can see in the videos show a where the empty case was ejected, and the bolt carrier went forward and locked into battery, then the trigger was pressed again allowing the hammer to go forward and strike the firing pin with no bang due to no ammunition was fed off the magazine and chambered.  If you didn't get video of the 2nd round jamming, is there any chance you could post pics of the jammed round, specifically looking for any dings, dents, scracthes, bends in the casing or other marks that would help maybe give an indicator as to where the problem might be?
View Quote
I didn't take any pictures of them.  I had a ton and just put them in the dud bin.
The have a solid dent right int he side, or a nice gouge going up the length.

It's almost as if the round isn't sitting high enough.  But since it happens in all the magazines it's not the follower not being high enough.
So it would almost be the bolt is traveling too high and just misses the round.  But we also know that, that is almost impossible too.

Sooo  going with the bcg short stroking.

Wont know for sure until i can swap the lowers and see if that changes anything.  then that means its the buffer and/or spring and not a bcg/gas tube problem.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It does not lock back on last round.  But it did lock back on empty magazine and manual charging handle pull..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My best guess so far would be that the gun is short stroking because it does not lock back on an empty mag. If the carrier is not traveling to the rear enough to grab the rear of the case this could be the explanation.
Your bolt may be grabbing the casing from the side of the case with just tension rather than from the rear. If the bolt is pulling a casing from the mag by scraping along the side it would explain the drag marks. If the bolt strips a round but is not actually behind the casing when doing so it will end up slipping off the round before pushing the round into the chamber. Once the round is loose from the mag it will flop sideways and the bolt will smash into the side of it causing the dent you describe.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I'm on to something..

Was curious about the buffer and spring I used because I can't find the receipt of it.
And noticed that the gas tube is carbine length..

The buffer I bought for the colt is carbine length. So why not compare them
The buffers are almost identical in weight. 2.965oz and 2.94oz
But the colt is 10" spring.
And the rifle with the problem is 11.5"
I'm using a standard buffer spring in a carbine gas tube.

Would explain the extra resistance and the shirt stroke of the bolt..
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think I'm on to something..

Was curious about the buffer and spring I used because I can't find the receipt of it.
And noticed that the gas tube is carbine length..

The buffer I bought for the colt is carbine length. So why not compare them
The buffers are almost identical in weight. 2.965oz and 2.94oz
But the colt is 10" spring.
And the rifle with the problem is 11.5"
I'm using a standard buffer spring in a carbine gas tube.

Would explain the extra resistance and the shirt stroke of the bolt..
View Quote
There are 2 types of buffer systems. Carbine and rifle.
Carbine is used in adjustable type buffer tubes and rifle is used in longer A2 type stock tubes. A 10'' spring would be a carbine length spring and if you are using a carbine buffer in a carbine tube they should all be OK for working together.

If the gun is short stroking it can be from several things.
Gas port in the barrel to small and not enough gas.
Gas port to big and to much gas not allowing the gun to unlock and cycle with the proper timing due to short dwell time.
Something binding / slowing the carrier as it moves rearward, possibly even the chambered casing.
Buffer or spring causing to little or to much force vs. timing of the round being pulled from the chamber and the carrier moving rearward.

If you have access to some other buffers or springs that would be the first thing I would try. Swapping different buffer weights and spring combinations may get it to work.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/yH3QiclSHVM
pausing at 00:10 and moving the frame by frame, looks like the bolt face never made it back past the rim of the case in the mag, but even with this, should have stripped the top round out of the mag on the way forward for a bolt over middle of case jam.
View Quote
Out of coincidence, I actually changed the Mag Release the other day.
And the stock is pinned but adjustable.
Here's a pic of the whole rifle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbr09105xqbzefu/20171209_111437.jpg?dl=0
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#27]
The things I do for you people.. Braved the biting cold this morning and hit the range.
21 degrees and with the wind chill i think it was -200.

I ran a 30 round magazine through it and it seemed to go off without a hitch. Strange.
Decided to shoot the Colt. Then went back to the problem rifle with a fresh magazine, few rounds later, and bingo, got some missed loads, then some FtF jams.
Here are pics of some of those bullets. Scrape on one side, dent on the other. And a stuck round.
Then I put in a magazine of Wolf Gold and it shot no problem. Went back to original ammo and back to the jams.
So it obviously doesn't like the Fed AE 223 Rem 55g FMJ

Now I can start swapping parts. Swapped lowers. Both ran fine.
Swapped the Buffer tube springs in the lowers and continued to run fine.

Swapped everything back and then FtF jams on the problem gun.

So I just swapped the buffer and spring again and both continue to work great.
Long story short I believe it was the longer spring and weak ammo causing the problems.
(The Colt upper shot the longer spring without a hick-up.) So swapping buffer and springs inside each lower is my solution for the time being.
Going to leave it dirty and run it a lot more and try and get a lot more rounds through it. Only about 130 rounds today. Atleast until I notice any more hick-ups and then I'll see what swapping BCG's does to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/86dq1mymnq9cy08/20171213_103447.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nl8li883jj8gq0r/20171213_132050.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv89in58u6vzlx0/20171213_132146.jpg?dl=0
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#28]
That's it then. The longer spring is okay as long as it doesn't stack on you and stop the carrier short. but that can't be happening because you can load it and lock back the BCG manually. As I said, some ammo can be too weak for some particular set-ups. There's plenty of good strong ammo to choose from. The PPU (PRVI) stuff is good. Both my ARs like it for accuracy. One with a 1:9 twist likes the 69 gr OTM and the other with 1:7 twist likes the 77 gr OTM.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top