Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 8:05:45 AM EDT
Hey all. I'm considering trying a different stock then the CTR that I have grown pretty fond of. I am hoping for a little better cheek weld for longer range applications but also a usuable stock for up close work. I shoot "nose to charging handle if that matters.For those of you that have used all or some of these please chime in.

What's the difference between the B5 and LMT SOPMOD? Is the LMT better since it does cost more?

Is the cheek weld(angle,profile, etc.) of the SOPMOD similar to the STR? Just curious because the STR comes in OD.

Stick to my CTR?

Thoughts?

Here's my stick I am thinking of changing the stock on.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, here's my shallow response:  I think the STR is UGLY!  Thus, I wouldn't use one.  I've owned the LMT's and I currently have the B5 SOPMODs.  No discernible difference besides $100.  If you don't need the battery storage, go with the Bravo B5 and save another $30-$40.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I have and like both the B5 and the STR.  From what others have said in other threads, the main difference between the B5 and the LMT is the price and not much else.  For me the price was the deciding factor for me to choose the B5 over the LMT.  Shooting nose to charging handle doesn't matter for either.  Others think it's ugly, but have you looked at the Magpul ACS?  I use those on my scoped ARs and like them a lot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I own a B5 sopmod and personally like the cheekweld better than the STR.
As for B5 vs LMT.....I got nothing. I decided to go B5 though and save some coin.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, for the reply. The storage capacity is not something I need. I can't say I wouldn't use it but that's not a reason I would buy it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Str is just like your ctr but with sloped cheek weld and tube compartments. Functionally, the b5 and lmt are identical. If you really like the ctr but want more surface area, go with the str. If you want to try something new, go with the sopmod. I don't think you'll regret either
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll tell you what, I used to have a CTR last year... And now on my new build I went with the B5 enhanced SOPMOD, and it's a pretty damn nice improvement!!!

The damn thing is plain ole comfy, and solid as a rock!

Don't know if that helps you any, but thats my $.02

ETA: Awesome setup you've got there as well!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#7]
the two stocks I have on almost all my rifles are CTR's and SOPMOD but, on my precision rigs, I prefer a stock that locks due to the fact that I've had my SOPMOD collapse under recoil when using a rear bag. Mind you, this was on a .308 so, it may be a little different on a 5.56 rifle and a non-issue altogether.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, for the reply. The storage capacity is not something I need. I can't say I wouldn't use it but that's not a reason I would buy it.
View Quote

I have all three of them, the b5 bravo is much lighter than the LMT & B5 enhanced. I didn't like how the rifle balanced with the bravo made it very nose heavy. Would be perfect for a lightweight build. As for the LMT vs B5 enhanced the texture on the LMT is much smother which I like better but the B5's are tighter on the receiver tube. But for some reason the FDE LMT's are very tight almost too tight at first till they break in.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Unless you're building a 'clone' the Magpul STR will serve you well. There will be little to no adjusting to the STR from a CTR. I have an STR on my "non-MK12 long-er range" rifle and I love it. Me personally, I think it's better than a B5 or an LMT (gasp!) and I own both a B5 and an LMT. Just my $.02

Sweet stick, btw!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks my friends! Thanks for the compliments as well!!!

Keep the comments coming, it's helping me a bunch!

Whats the qualitty like on the LMT and B5? Is it as good as Magpul?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#12]
LMT will make a great stock. The new B5 stocks are pretty nice. You would be saving some money with the B5, but not loosing out on a whole lot, if anything, at all. Either one are good choices.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Why the fuck would you move this thread??? There is dumber shit then this in "AR Discussions".
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the IMod and CTR, personally, for my sloped cheekweld vs none options.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, here's my shallow response:  I think the STR is UGLY!  Thus, I wouldn't use one.  I've owned the LMT's and I currently have the B5 SOPMODs.  No discernible difference besides $100.  If you don't need the battery storage, go with the Bravo B5 and save another $30-$40.
View Quote

FPNI.

/thread.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Do the B5's have a lock on them like the Magpul so there is NO wiggle on the buffer tube?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do the B5's have a lock on them like the Magpul so there is NO wiggle on the buffer tube?
View Quote

No, buy my B5 is tighter than my ACS-L, CTR, and MOE.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Thats what I was worried about with going with a B5 sopmod over a CTR... Worried that it'd be a whole bunch of battle rattle like a regular M4 stock.

But that thing fits nice and tight, even on the stag buffer tube that I bought... No need for a friction lock when you have a quality B5 stock!

Even the rubber butt pad on the B5 is nice... On the magpuls I ended up adding the extended pad, just for a better fit, don't have to worry about that with the B5/LMT
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a B5 bravo and a CTR, I like the cheek weld of the B5 better, enough that I bought an enhanced off the EE on here to try out
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Mark me down in the STR column. The cheek weld is miles better over the CTR. JMO
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:04:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Buy a B5 SOPMOD and don't look back. I have a LMT but I would never buy another simply because the B5 is high quality and costs less. The B5 is built to the crane naval warfare specs and they have the contract so it's not a copy. My B5 SOPMODs all fit tight on the receiver extension and even after a couple of years use they don't wobble. The first generation B5 stocks had a problem because crane gave B5 the wrong specs but they now have the correct crane specs and the second generation stocks are GTG.

I had an STR and liked it but once I bought a B5 SOPMOD I sold the STR. No I don't work for B5 Systems nor do I have any financial holding and I'm not paid in any way for my endorsement. I love the stock and B5 is located in my home state.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I wish I could see a few in person before I decide but nobody in this shit state has any good AR stuff. And the dudes at my range all have shit AR's.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone here try the Larue RISR on their CTR??? Is it worth a shit? Heavy?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

I have or have had every stock in this thread and I generally use either my B5 SOPMOD or SOPMOD Bravo the vast majority of the time.    I think the Bravo may be a little better for direct action type shooting; and the cheekweld of the SOPMOD or STR may be more comfortable from the prone.

Here's my reviews of the B5 offerings:

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
<a href="http://imageshack.com/i/5e7r7qp" target="_blank">http://imageshack.com/a/img194/2036/7r7q.png</a>Uploaded with ImageShack.com

I have or have had every stock in this thread and I generally use either my B5 SOPMOD or SOPMOD Bravo the vast majority of the time.    I think the Bravo may be a little better for direct action type shooting; and the cheekweld of the SOPMOD or STR may be more comfortable from the prone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN_ZUd9QtuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FZ4VlxCsOA
View Quote

Thanks man!!! Good review.  However I still can't make up my mind.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://imageshack.com/i/5e7r7qp" target="_blank">http://imageshack.com/a/img194/2036/7r7q.png</a>Uploaded with ImageShack.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN_ZUd9QtuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FZ4VlxCsOA

Dude, just get the B5 Enhanced SOPMOD... I recently made a poll between a CTR and a B5 enhanced SOPMOD... CTR won the votes, but I went against the grain, and got a B5 stock!

I was suspect at first, until I got one! Theres a reason why Crane chose that stock... Whether LMT or B5

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn double tap
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I own the B5 SOPMOD, LMT SOPMOD and STR.

My favorite stock is the B5 SOPMOD. The B5 and LMT SOPMODs are essentially identical in nearly every aspect...but the B5s lock up tighter on the receiver extension. That's the sole reason why I prefer the B5.

ETA - and yes, the STR cheekweld is similar to the SOPMOD cheekweld - which is a must for me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I own the B5 SOPMOD, LMT SOPMOD and STR.

My favorite stock is the B5 SOPMOD. The B5 and LMT SOPMODs are essentially identical in nearly every aspect...but the B5s lock up tighter on the receiver extension. That's the sole reason why I prefer the B5.

ETA - and yes, the STR cheekweld is similar to the SOPMOD cheekweld - which is a must for me.
View Quote

"live... Learn... Get a SOPMOD stock... Then love!"
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Guess I need to try the B5 SOPMOD.

It's gonna fuck up my color scheme!!!

Thanks fellars!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#31]
One last question!

Am I going to have issues with the adj. lever while using a rear bag? Remedy?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't forget the B5 bravo SOPMOD for even more savings I would also mention the IMOD as one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Don't forget the B5 bravo SOPMOD for even more savings I would also mention the IMOD as one of my favorites.
View Quote

Bears repeating.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:02:16 AM EDT
[#34]
The Vltor is fugly, IMO. Not that's my only interest. That sling loop on the top would have to go and I don't want to get into butchering it.

ETA: I have to go over to PA. this week, I'll see if I can find a LGS with something for me to look at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top