BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2022 5:25:01 PM EDT
reposted with broken picture links repaired

Australian Outback 69 grain Sierra MatchKing Ammunition

In their 1984 catalog, Sierra Bullets introduced the .22 caliber (0.224”) 69 grain MatchKing HPBT (hollow point boat tail) bullet (#1380).  The 69 grain MatchKing was “developed as a target bullet for testing by military teams in the new M16A2 rifle”1 and the bullet became a popular choice for shooters using the AR-15 in High Power Rifle Competition.

While the US military had experimented with “heavy” FMJ (full metal jacket) bullets for the 5.56mm cartridge as far back as the mid-1960s,  (the Colt/Federal 5.56mm 68 grain FMJ) the .22 caliber 69 grain MatchKing was the first heavy OTM (open-tip match) bullet that was available to the general public as a reloading component for 223 Remington/5.56mm cartridges.  (Hornady’s 68 grain OTM bullet (#2278) wasn’t introduced until approximately two years later.)

Today, several manufacturers are producing factory loaded 223 Remington ammunition seated with the Sierra 69 grain MatchKing.  Among those, is Australian Outback, a commercial division of Australian Munitions.  

This Australian Outback ammunition is loaded in brass cases.  The primer pockets are neither crimped nor sealed.  There is no sealant at the case-mouth nor any visible case-mouth crimp.  The rounds are charged with a short-cut, extruded powder.  The head-stamp reads:

“223 REM   ADI”

Through some simple testing, I determined that the 69 grain MatchKing has a specific gravity of approximately 10.2.  According to Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets by Bryan Litz, the 69 grain MatchKing has an average G1 ballistic coefficient of 0.330 and an average G7 ballistic coefficient of 0.169.  The same source states that the “recommended twist for optimal performance” of the 69 grain MatchKing “is 1:9.5” or faster.”

Accuracy

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Australian Outback 69 grain Sierra MatchKing ammunition following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group-reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag.  The SMOS billet lower receiver used houses a Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger.

Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold Competition Series 45x45mm scope adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shield was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

The Wind Probe.

The test vehicle for this accuracy evaluation was one of my semi-automatic precision AR-15s with a 24” Krieger barrel. The barrel has a 5.56mm Match chamber with a 1:7.7” twist. Prior to firing the  Australian Outback 69 grain Sierra MatchKing ammunition, I fired a 10-shot control group using match-grade hand-loads topped with the Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing. That group had an extreme spread of 0.67”.

Four 10-shot groups of the Australian Outback 69 grain Sierra MatchKing ammunition were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

0.95”
0.82”
0.69”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 0.86”. The four 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 40-shot composite group. The mean radius for the 40-shot composite group was 0.28”.

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

Just for kicks and giggles, I also fired some statistically insignificant 5-shot groups off the bench from a distance of 100 yards.  The cherry-picked group of the bunch had an extreme spread of 0.384”.

Terminal Ballistics of the Sierra 69 Grain MatchKing

Terminal ballistic testing of the 69 grain MatchKing loaded in the form of Federal’s 223M ammunition has been conducted by Dr. G.K. Roberts with the results of that testing published in Wound Ballistics Review, Volume 3, Number 4.  Fired from a Colt AR-15A2 carbine with a 16” barrel, the average penetration of the 69 grain MatchKing in 10% bare ordnance gelatin was 14.7”.  The average recovered diameter was 0.40” and the average percentage of fragmentation was 60.2%.

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for posting.

I always enjoy your detailed post

I like the extra wind probe accessory.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Molon.

I need to find my chrono data for the ADI.  I found it to be as accurate as the Federal GMM factory load, but slightly slower.  It wasn't much.

The box you posted is some of the older stuff I picked up.  They changed packaging 2 more times since then.

Don't be surprised if you get comparison requests between the oldest/mid/newest version (see: IMI brown vs green box).
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for posting.

I always enjoy your detailed post

I like the extra wind probe accessory.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
slightly slower.  
View Quote

Ditto.  I've got chrono data for it . . . . somewhere.

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
As usual a much appreciated contributor to the collective knowledge of this site.

Thanks yet again.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Great work, thank you Molon.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Great to know.

I have a couple cases of that ammo I got on a BOGO deal.  

Haven’t got around to shooting any yet.  

Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe this is currently being sold as ADI World Class ammo, rather than Australian Outback.

https://globalordnance.com/adi-world-class-223-rem-69-grain-sierra-matchking-200-round-case-upc-9332153003296/

If I am mistaken please feel free to correct me.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I believe this is currently being sold as ADI World Class ammo, rather than Australian Outback.

https://globalordnance.com/adi-world-class-223-rem-69-grain-sierra-matchking-200-round-case-upc-9332153003296/

View Quote

That is the Outback in the newest packaging and labels. I started shooting this stuff when the boxes looked like in the OP and now the latest blue ADI boxes. It seems to shoot the same. The 55gr Blitzking load (same packaging) shoots a little better for me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's .89/round now?!?!
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's .89/round now?!?!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's .89/round now?!?!

I got the ADI 55gr for $.50/rd a few months back.

Haven’t had a chance to test it yet.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Great thread. I have a few cases of these and haven't taken the small frame out to the range for precision lately. Good to know!
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's .89/round now?!?!

Their old 55gr bk round was very accurate.  

I bought a ton of the 69smk because I didn't reload and the Federal GMM 69gr was $1/rd.  I could get a case of ADI 69gr smk for half the price.

Hell I could make some money off the stash I got now
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I also took advantage of the old BOGO deals from Global Ord. a few years ago. I'm still buying this ADI ammo at current prices because it's so damn accurate.

SGAmmo has a sale on the ADI 69gr load as we speak. I believe it's $159 for a 200 round case (regularly $189 I believe). I ordered 2 for the free shipping. Not as good as the BOGO but the best I've seen in a while.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Their old 55gr bk round was very accurate.  
View Quote

Indeed.

Australian Outback Sierra 55 Grain BlitzKing

When chronographed from a 20” Colt M16A2 barrel over an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “Proof Screen Technology”, the Australian Outback Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing load had a muzzle velocity of 2972 FPS with a standard deviation of 20 FPS.

A 10-shot group fired off the bench at a distance of 100 yards from one of my AR-15s with a Krieger barrel that has a 223 Remington chamber and a 1:9" twist had an extreme spread of 0.98".

I also fired another 10-shot group of the Australian Outback load from one of my AR-15s with a Krieger barrel that has a 5.56mm match chamber and a 1:7.7" twist.  That group had an extreme spread of 0.92".

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I also took advantage of the old BOGO deals from Global Ord. a few years ago. I'm still buying this ADI ammo at current prices because it's so damn accurate.

SGAmmo has a sale on the ADI 69gr load as we speak. I believe it's $159 for a 200 round case (regularly $189 I believe). I ordered 2 for the free shipping. Not as good as the BOGO but the best I've seen in a while.
View Quote

Thanks Itchy-Finger for the heads up.  I ordered a couple of 200 rounders lots of ADI for my self + some S&B 380 blammo ammo for the wifey.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:32:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The box you posted is some of the older stuff I picked up.  They changed packaging 2 more times since then.

Don't be surprised if you get comparison requests between the oldest/mid/newest version (see: IMI brown vs green box).
View Quote

Yup. The new ADI in the blue box isn’t quite as good, at least not the lots I’ve tested. The new version is more prone to fliers. It’s still SubMOA capable, but the old/mid stuff was sub half moa capable (5x5groups). The BTO measurements among all 3 versions are in the same range, so I’m curious if it was due to a change in one of the components or QC practices with the rebranding to ADI. It may be worthwhile to tear down a few rounds.

As always, thanks for posting Molon. Always good to see results and data.

Mid/New packaging
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#20]
The SMK line of bullets is an outstanding achievement. I don’t think there’s ever been a bullet that can be made to shoot so accurately so easily (I.e., it’s not hard to tune).

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks. These shoot pretty well for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yup. The new ADI in the blue box isn’t quite as good, at least not the lots I’ve tested. The new version is more prone to fliers. It’s still SubMOA capable, but the old/mid stuff was sub half moa capable (5x5groups). The BTO measurements among all 3 versions are in the same range, so I’m curious if it was due to a change in one of the components or QC practices with the rebranding to ADI. It may be worthwhile to tear down a few rounds.

As always, thanks for posting Molon. Always good to see results and data.

Mid/New packaging
https://i.imgur.com/6x3TqvE.jpg
View Quote

This is very interesting to me. Lately the ADI 69gr was not shooting as good as before and I've been shooting their 55gr Blitzking loads exclusively. I assumed it was me since the Blitzking always shot a little better and I suck. But I havnt shot a sub MOA 5 shot group with the 69ADI for a long time while the 55 Blitzking still holds MOA with the occasional .50 group.

Most of my ADI stash is the older packaging with "Australian Outback" in the 2 tone tan boxes. I will dig some up and compare some old and new lots.

EVERY factory ammo that I fall in love with eventually change the formula and turns to shit. I hope that's not the case with ADI but they are on the same supply chain as the rest of the industry and powders, primers, cases change, machines get worn...eventually the accountants realize that they can make a penny more by doing something cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm using a TV for monitor, so it is difficult for me to tell, but is the powder dark gray or is it a greenish-beige color?

The only dark ADI powder I know is 8208, which is also used in ADI 55 grain and 62 grain 5.56 military ammunition.

55 grains would be 7 grains down from 62 grains and 69 grains would be 7 grains up from 62 grains.

The military ammo uses 8208 powder that is not dyed dark, but is the same powder.

The powder was developed specifically for NATO spec 5.56 ammo and later used in 55 grain military ammo for export.

All of the other ADI powders I've seen that are close in burning rate have been very light in color, as commercial 8208 powder is dyed dark gray at the request of Hodgdon, to more closely resemble traditional IMR powders in color.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you Molon, for your continuing reports on the rounds and their accuracy. You are a blessing to this forum!
I have some of this Aussie 55 grain, and I can get 1/2" groups at 50 yards if I pull the trigger correctly thru a 16 power Vortex scope.
Thinking about a scope upgrade, to a more magnification power. Will probably stay with Vortex unless there is something in my price
around around 500.00, up to 20 power. Any suggestions? The gun might be a groundhog gun if I can ever find them!
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thank you Molon, for your continuing reports on the rounds and their accuracy. You are a blessing to this forum!
I have some of this Aussie 55 grain, and I can get 1/2" groups at 50 yards if I pull the trigger correctly thru a 16 power Vortex scope.
Thinking about a scope upgrade, to a more magnification power. Will probably stay with Vortex unless there is something in my price
around around 500.00, up to 20 power. Any suggestions? The gun might be a groundhog gun if I can ever find them!
View Quote

More magnification at 50 yds isn't going to tighten your groups, esp if you're already at 16x
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Why not?
I'll be able to see the target better!
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why not?
I'll be able to see the target better!
View Quote

No not really. @16 power looking at a target 50 yards away is equivalent to looking at the same target 3.1 yds away with your naked eye.  At 20 power your now moved the target optically to 2.5 yds.  So a 25% increase in zoom range yields you only .5 yds (18 inches) of apparent visual closeness  I doubt you could tell the much difference between a target that's 3 yds  away verses one that's 2.5 yds away. They both will look huge through a scope.

Stretch out to 500 yds now a 16X scope will make a target appear to be 31.3 yds (ignoring mirage, dust, rain, snow, type factors) away and a 20x scope will bring it down to appear to be only 25 yds away.  See you gained a whole 6.3 yds of visual acuity.  That might be of some marginal help. But @ 50 yds nope.

If your rifle is that accurate to make a difference, between 16x and 20x you should be shooting 50 yd Benchrest with a heavy 22lr Bolt action and not an AR15.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#28]
labloverva - IMHO optical quality and, to a lesser extent, the reticle design trump magnification.  Much rather have a scope with 16x as a top end, but really good glass, than a 25x with shitty glass.  

I'd also try moving back to 100 yards and shooting at as small a target as possible.  I have a bunch of 3" black "shoot and see" sticky targets and find my smallest groups are usually when I ditch the 3" target and use the small 1/2" dots that come with the targets (to cover up prior hits).  That's shooting at 100.  There is much truth in the adage "aim small, miss small".  Honestly if you've got decent eyesight 16x should be more than enough magnification at 100 yards, much less 50.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#29]
During the Trump era  It was buy one get one free. Box or case.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks OP for the testing info.  Those ADI Blitzkings are the best factory loads in terms of accuracy and price.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is very interesting to me. Lately the ADI 69gr was not shooting as good as before and I've been shooting their 55gr Blitzking loads exclusively. I assumed it was me since the Blitzking always shot a little better and I suck. But I havnt shot a sub MOA 5 shot group with the 69ADI for a long time while the 55 Blitzking still holds MOA with the occasional .50 group.

Most of my ADI stash is the older packaging with "Australian Outback" in the 2 tone tan boxes. I will dig some up and compare some old and new lots.

EVERY factory ammo that I fall in love with eventually change the formula and turns to shit. I hope that's not the case with ADI but they are on the same supply chain as the rest of the industry and powders, primers, cases change, machines get worn...eventually the accountants realize that they can make a penny more by doing something cheaper.
View Quote

I went and dug up some older ADI Australian Outback marked tan/blue boxes (lot 2024) and some newest packaged 69gr loads (lot 2083). They both shot the same averaging around 1MOA for me. So it's most likely me rather than any actual changes in the ammo. The 55gr Blitzking version shoots a little better, averaging maybe .75-.80 MOA (5 shot groups).
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top