Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2007 5:13:05 PM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up another AR. Armalite and Busmaster are my only two choices. Which would you pick and why?

Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
In my experience, they are basically equal.  I'd pick the one with the lower price.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
go with the bush
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#3]
i just like the feel better.....  

im sure Arma is just as good...

Link Posted: 6/13/2007 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Bushmaster because, (1) I own one and never had a problem with it, (2) My department issued Bushmaster patrolman’s rifle and has functioned excellent during training exercise scenarios. Now, my opinion is based on the fact that I use and own Bushmaster rifles; also I’m in no way saying that Armalite rifles are not as good as Bushmaster rifles. I just never used one.

Now, you stated that your only two options are either the Bushmaster or the Armalite, well; first, I would figure out what type of rifle I want and then I would look at what does one have that the other doesn’t as far as options, and what’s the price difference between the two rifles. Opinions on the two rifles may vary or they may not, that’s the great thing about opinions everybody has one. Good luck.

B_W
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
either or...i'd opt for the bushmaster myself
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Had both - liked both.

Bet that was a lot of help huh !!!

T
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Cant miss here, I would buy the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
have an armalite middy and love it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Cant go wrong, both are two of the best made ARs out there, I went for Bushmaster.

TG
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Bushmaster 1 year warranty
Armalite life time warranty.

I would opt for the Armalite.
I don't own either in AR15 but I do own an AR10A4 from Armalite.
When I sent it in to get the NM trigger job done they did all warranty and updating with out me asking them to do so. No Charge to me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought an Armalite M-15 A3 Carbine and absolutely love it.  I then bought a Bushmaster XM-15 A3 Target Model with a 20" barrel 3 months later and am largely disappointed in the fit, finish and trigger pull.  Quality defects aside, the life-time warranty is enought to justify the Armalite.

I have to be honest, until I held an Armalite in my hands I had no idea of how nice of a rifle that they make or how different they were from other models that I'd handled previously.

Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt or LMT, but since they aren't on your list...

Armalite.  I like the fit and finish of their new ISP carbine (M4gery).
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Both are battle tested and goverment approved, so you can't go wrong with either. So to each his own!!!

But if you want to get superficial, a lion IMO is more dignified and is a better looking icon than a snake.  Also, this beautiful black rifle that we enthusiast love so much, was originally designed by E. Stoner, who was at that time an Armalite employee. Using the first 2 letters of the company's name, this instrument of war was baptized the "AR-15." So when people talk about "AR type" firearms, you can thank Mr. Stoner and Armalite for that.

Of course this is just a shallow way of picking between the two. Again both are very fine instruments. But if it's in the name, we all know there's only one true Bushmaster......Hugh Hefner.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Can't beat an Armalite.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:12:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Armalite.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Bushmaster pissed me off back around the Clinton "Assault rifle ban". They couldn't  build/deliver my 14" BBL w/ permanently installed krink brake due to their gov't contract but it took 2 or 3 months for them to explain that to me, or give me a refund on my credit card. Dammit, that grudge holding is something else I need to work on.
But that rattlesnake looks SO cool!!!  
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 2:12:24 AM EDT
[#17]
ArmaLite. VASTLY superior fit, finish and overall quality control.

Handle both and you'll see the difference for yourself.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 2:26:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I have owned both. I prefer Bushmasters Brls mostly because my Armalite choked on 5.56mm ammo and would only handle a diet of .223Rem. The warranty wasnt worth the paper it was written on.

I prefer Armalites lowers and fire control components though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have owned both. I prefer Bushmasters Brls mostly because my Armalite choked on 5.56mm ammo and would only handle a diet of .223Rem. The warranty wasnt worth the paper it was written on.

Choked on 5.56? Holy shit! I was wondering about that, because all the ads I've seen list them as .223, not 5.56. I already have a hybird of the two, Bushmaster lower and Armalite upper, 20" A2. I was thinking about selling it and picking up a complete rifle of one or the other. Damn, that's really fucked up. Hope mine doesn't choke on 5.56. I've only fired .223 through it so far.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:37:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Choked on 5.56? Holy shit! I was wondering about that, because all the ads I've seen list them as .223, not 5.56. I already have a hybird of the two, Bushmaster lower and Armalite upper, 20" A2. I was thinking about selling it and picking up a complete rifle of one or the other. Damn, that's really fucked up. Hope mine doesn't choke on 5.56. I've only fired .223 through it so far.

I've never had a problem.
Armalite technical notes .223 vs 5.56mm
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I have friends with both and would have to say my vote is for Armalite.  For the warranty and because I don't like snakes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:42:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Bushmaster pissed me off back around the Clinton "Assault rifle ban". They couldn't  build/deliver my complete part kit & assemble it on the reciever that I shipped so it would be a factory assembled rifle it took 2 or 3 months for them to explain that to me, and return my now post ban reciever. Dammit, that grudge holding is something else I need to work on.

I was in a similar situation with bushmaster, see my items modified in red! Told me that my part kit was ready & to ship my reviever & they would assemble it! The ban was passed & they kept my part kit to build their own guns & shipped me back my post ban lower!
Havent bought a new product from them in years & dont plan to! This is from someone who used to buy all his things from them-The old "Quality Parts Company" days!
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:59:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Armalite.  Cause they don't F up FSB and have never produced a purple upper to date.

I've had many rifles from Both makers.  The Armalites are better quality when it comes to finish.  Internal parts appear to be about the same, although I did get a bad charging handle from BM.  It had heavy machine marks on it.  Plus, my armalites seem to group better...
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#26]
+1000 on Armalite.

I own several AR's - but if I could keep only one....

It would be my Armalite.

Oh yeah - my Armalite eats anything and everything I've ever fed it...  I've lost count of how many have been through it - not a bobble, a hiccup, a jam, anything - ever.  

Plus, you can't beat a lifetime warranty.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Both equal in quality, go with the one that's got the best price.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#28]
IF it were me, I'd get a Double Star, but since that isn't a choice, I'd say Bushmaster.  They are pretty equal as far as I can tell, but I like the snake too!
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Having had both, I prefer Armalite receivers.  I actually prefer them over all I have tried: CMT/Stag, Bushie, Inferior Arms, Colt (stupid pins), and CMMG.  Actually I would tie CMMG with Armalite.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#30]
My Armalite eats 5.56 and .223 just fine.  I purchased the full-sized Bushmaster just because I could save $50 versus getting the similar Armalite.  I should've gotten the Armalite instead since the complaints that I had about my old Olympic Arms AR largely apply to this new Bushmaster rifle.

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#31]
i would have to say armalite for sure. i wanted a bushmaster at first, then saw the armalite, heard great things about it and how it was better than bushmaster. i handled both before i made my purchase, and the armalite just seemed to have a much nicer fit and finish.

so +1 for Armalite!
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Armalite.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Having had both, I prefer Armalite receivers.  I actually prefer them over all I have tried: CMT/Stag, Bushie, Inferior Arms, Colt (stupid pins), and CMMG.  Actually I would tie CMMG with Armalite.

There ya go. That says something for Armalite. I was comparing my CMMG with my Wilson Combat last eve and aside from some of the refinements of the Wilson, I felt that the upper to lower fit of the CMMG was equal to or better than the Wilson and the action was just as smooth. Quite frankly, if I wouldn't lose my butt, I would sell the Wilson and do a build using CMMG recs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#35]
one thing i like about bushmaster is their dedication to the civilian shooters. they along with a few other manufactures have threatened to move their companies out of Illinois if the state passes the proposed assault weapon ban. i support companies that take that sort of stance, thats also why i bought a Barrett.   i own a bushmaster and love it, ive never had any problems with it and have over 10,000 rounds through it. id trust it with my life.  this is my second bushy.  i have to admit i have never owned or shot an Armalite though.  i suggest find someone who owns one of each and ask him to take you out shooting and try for yourself.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
...armalite on the other hand has a great reputation about the way they finish their rifles...

Armalite has a great reputation for many, many more reasons than just that, sir.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:52:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
one thing i like about bushmaster is their dedication to the civilian shooters. they along with a few other manufactures have threatened to move their companies out of Illinois

Did you mean ArmaLite?  Bushmaster is in Maine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top