Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 2:35:48 PM EDT
any good, I was looking to pick one up, but wanted to know some more about them. Id hate to have a 130 dollar  piece of crap, or should I save for a beta???
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is between this and a Beta I say Beta. A friend had one that kept jamming. He sent it in and they replaced teh feed tower. It worked fine afterward but he lost interest in it. He now has 2 Betas.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Are Betas working any better now than they used to?  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are Betas working any better now than they used to?  

They are still plastic.

I had both. The snail was only decent quality and it made the weapon very heavy to one side.

The Beta's needed to be fed good clean ammo, graphite used, and a good feed tower in them, which the ammo always digs into. Any deviation of the above will cause failures. Strict adherance will help them run fine.

Oh yeah, they are both plastic, therefore they are allergic to drops on concrete or other hard surfaces.

IMO, with USGI NIW mags down to ~$10, anything else is a waste of good money.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
How much graphite do the betas need, do you need to apply it every time you load it, I dont see much sense in the ones with clear backs, if you need to put graphite in em, then Id think they would eventually get blacked out. Im still on the fence, I got plenty of 30's and wanted something to play with, but unless I can hear some positives, I might just buy another 10 30's.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How much graphite do the betas need, do you need to apply it every time you load it, I dont see much sense in the ones with clear backs, if you need to put graphite in em, then Id think they would eventually get blacked out. Im still on the fence, I got plenty of 30's and wanted something to play with, but unless I can hear some positives, I might just buy another 10 30's.

Stay with your USGI 30rd mags.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The graphite does not black out the clear back it gets caught up in the mechanism. My beta works flawlessly with Q3131A ammo. I loaded some Wolf into it when I first got it and had problems. I think it was becuase it was my first time out with it and I didnt use any graphite.

I am going to try it out with some more Wolf and I will post the results in the AR15 forum. Winchester ammo runs perfect in mine, no malfunctions.

It is a great range toy and plinking toy. Every AR15 owner should have one.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay with your USGI 30rd mags.

+1   I say stay with your 30 rounders also. The Beta Mags my buddy has function fine but the weight of a loaded one adds WAY too much to the AR15. They are a nice novelty item but that is where I draw the line. I had 2 of them but sold them and bought new USGI 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Wish I had never sold the 6 40 round Sterling AR180 / AR15 mags I had.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top