Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 3:00:21 PM EDT
There seems to be a bunch of threads recently on the lefty ARs, don’t want to trash those other threads, but these lefty ARs just seem retarded.

I'm left handed so I do need things like a left handed holster for my pistol. For High Power Service Rifle I really like the ambi magazine release, but that’s about it. Everything else works fine for me (even better in some cases), why the rush to this solution in search of a problem. And a damn ugly solution if you ask me.

There’s the brass deflector which has always worked great for me. I’ve shot many slick side uppers without a problem. Some slick side upper rifles have given me grief, but then there’s that handy brass deflector again. I read mention of gas being the problem. Thinking then there’s a problem with the gun or the way the shooter is holding it if a left handed shooter is getting gas back in their face past that brass deflector. Ejecting brass distracting you, you’ve got other problems that need to be addressed.

I have had the opportunity to shoot a few different left handed ARs as well as other kinds of left handed weapons, they all worked OK, but so does an outhouse, doesn’t mean I want one in my front yard to poop in.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a leftie as well (but really only to write and eat), and I historically found it easier to just adapt
to a righty world. Granted, that isn't easy for some other hardcore lefties, but it can be done with
practice...

Now, if the industry decided: Hey, lefties have a hard time, we are going to shift production to
suit the minority and the righties with have to deal with it,  then we'd have a problem!

The rifles are just another option, no more no less.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm left-handed, but the only reason I want one is to loan to right-handed friends who want to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Rush to this solution? Stag's left handed rifle just came out about a year ago, the AR has been around since the 60s. Not exactly rushing. Someone finally have the guts to make somthing that compromises a little as possible and works.

How is it an ugly solution when the only real difference is the way the door opens?

Thinking then there’s a problem with the gun or the way the shooter is holding it if a left handed shooter is getting gas back in their face past that brass deflector.

Why is it a problem if they are holding the rifle the way they are comforable with? The problem is a lefty shooting a right handed rifle, thus the reason there is a lefty rifle.

Retarded? We all know about opionions and a-holes.....    You are happy shooting a right handed rifle so leave it at that. You buy whatever you want and the rest of us will do the same. You adapted, I don't have to since there is a product that works the way I want.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm left-handed, but the only reason I want one is to loan to right-handed friends who want to shoot.

Why didn't I think of that? A little taste of their own medicine?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes thats what the case deflector is for and dont tape it scratches look good on an AR
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a lefty, but I don't see why anyone would have a problem with there being lefty ARs...the more options the better.  Also, modern lefty ARs are not kludgey from what I've seen, but rather they are well-executed.

Rush?  Gee, the AR has been around 60 years, and  in only the last few years have lefty ARs gained prominence.  Ugly?  How is a mirror image any uglier than the orginal?  Do you look in the mirror everyday and say "Boy, I'm glad that face staring back at me is so ugly, cause that means to everyone else I'm pretty as hell"?  Solution in search of a problem?  I'd say the fact that 11% of AR shooters are using rifles designed for the opposite hand might be a small issue.  

Yes, the AR is designed to work just fine for lefties, what with the brass deflector and all, but I can definitely see the advantage of one with controls set up for the correct hand.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
What diff does left or right AR make if you have to shot with your weakside?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
They are a waste.  As a lefty who shot High Power for several years I have had no problems even when doing mag changes while slung up.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They are a waste.  As a lefty who shot High Power for several years I have had no problems even when doing mag changes while slung up.

A waste of what?

You can spend your money the way you want and I'll spend mine the way I want.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
solution in search of a problem.

If you think something is a solution, then by definition there has to be a problem first.  Otherwise it's innovation or invention.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I shoot lefty, and I've never had a problem with any of my long guns.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A waste of what?

Do what you want with your money.  I am set in my ways and all of my guns are "right handed" .  I have never owned a lefty gun and I dont see one in my future either.  They are unneeded.  As a lefty I can load my right handed way faster in a 3 gun match than anyone right handed by shooting singles.  You are not crippled being a lefty.  Think of what you can do to your advantage as a lefty.  By the way, buying a lefthanded gun is like buying the least desireable car made.  When you go to sell it you will have a hard time and not get anywhere near the premium price you paid for it new.  Good luck.

And next time you dont want an opinion that may differ from yours dont ask the question.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
[  I am set in my ways and all of my guns are "right handed" .  I have never owned a lefty gun and I dont see one in my future either.    When you go to sell it you will have a hard time and not get anywhere near the premium price you paid for it new.  

$50lor so difference in price is hardly a premium. I like my lefty AR's, and my lefty bolt action Savages. I have plenty of right handed guns as well, but left handed are nicer.

FWIW, I don't buy guns with the intention of selling them. I never have sold a gun. Never will. whether someone will pay a certain price for a gun has no bearing at all on my decision to get one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a lefty and a righty ar and I like the lefty more. I like to shoot with a suppressor some times and having the lefty helps a lot
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a lefty and I have no use at all for a lefty AR.

My AUG is the only gun I have that's left handed. Righty AUGs don't work so well for me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A waste of what?

Do what you want with your money.  I am set in my ways and all of my guns are "right handed" .  I have never owned a lefty gun and I dont see one in my future either.  They are unneeded.  As a lefty I can load my right handed way faster in a 3 gun match than anyone right handed by shooting singles.  You are not crippled being a lefty.  Think of what you can do to your advantage as a lefty.  By the way, buying a lefthanded gun is like buying the least desireable car made.  When you go to sell it you will have a hard time and not get anywhere near the premium price you paid for it new.  Good luck.

And next time you dont want an opinion that may differ from yours dont ask the question.

My God, someone might not get that extra $50 back?  Oh No!  And anyway, if I did own one, I don't believe in selling guns.  Every single sale I've made is one I regret.

It blows my mind that anyone is so hostile to the concept of a lefty gun, calling it "a solution in search of a problem", when it a)is a very personal choice about whether one needs it, b)is just another option in the AR pantheon (gee, another grip? those MIADs must be a solution in search of a problem"), and c)doesn't have ANY negative effect on your life or the AR world.

Anyway, considering that everyone should learn to shoot with the weak hand, at least rudimentarily, there's no reason to be against a rifle designed for left handed operation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:44:24 AM EDT
[#19]
With a lefty you can correctly use a 3 point sling.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:03:28 AM EDT
[#20]
yes
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:05:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm a lefty.  And I own a lefty Stag upper and a "regular" upper as well.  I shoot both fine.  But if you're thinking about the Stag lefty, I say go for it.  I see no reason not to.  They're well made and work just fine.  They don't cost that much more and it is kind of nice to have a good working lefty rifle.  I don't think you'd have any problems if you got a regular righty rifle either though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't feel like reading everyones replies, but the answer is simply this.

Have you ever tried to shoot a standard AR from the hip left handed?  If so you know it can jam because the cartridges eject right into your hip and right back into the chamber.  A left handed AR ejects the cartridges away from your body instead if into it.

What does this mean?  Left handed people can now learn to bumpfire from the hip.

And now you know why it is NOT stupid, right?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Very good point Chris!

Lefties love to bump fire too!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I don't feel like reading everyones replies, but the answer is simply this.

Have you ever tried to shoot a standard AR from the hip left handed?  If so you know it can jam because the cartridges eject right into your hip and right back into the chamber.  A left handed AR ejects the cartridges away from your body instead if into it.

What does this mean?  Left handed people can now learn to bumpfire from the hip.

And now you know why it is NOT stupid, right?

Yeah, Im lefty, and no ive never had a problem shooting it from the hip. Not to mention shooting from the hip and bump firing is so useful at the range and any real world "SHTF" encounter. Yeah, lets all get a new upper so we can bump fire from the hip in comfort! Wow, I should go out and get one of these lefty stags right now!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#25]
On lefty uppers is it just the upper thats left handed or is the bolt made different as well.Anything that takes away from standardized parts is just one more thing diferent to stock up on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#26]
No it has to take a lefty bolt assembly, not just the bolt, the whole assembly is left handed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
On lefty uppers is it just the upper thats left handed or is the bolt made different as well.Anything that takes away from standardized parts is just one more thing diferent to stock up on.

Standardized for left or standardized for right?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#28]
if your not ambidextrous with your weapon your wrong.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Just ordered a Stag 2L off the EE for $800 shipped which was actually LESS than the Righthanded ARs I was looking at. Whats wrong with you Lefties that bash the LH ARs? For all of our lives we've had to adapt to a right-handed world...I still remember as a kid trying to use RH scissors, I was able to adapt and use them in my right hand, but when my mom bought me some lefty scissors I couldn't be happier!  Now a company comes along and offers us a nice rifle built specifically for us leftys and you guys don't support it?  You don't have to buy it, but at least support a company that supports us. In answer to this Post...NO, it isn't NECISSARY that there be a Lefty AR, just like it wasn't NECISSARY that my mom bought me left-handed scissors, but it sure made me happier.  I have no doubt that my Lefty AR will make me feel the same way.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Whats wrong with you Lefties that bash the LH ARs? For all of our lives we've had to adapt to a right-handed world...I still remember as a kid trying to use RH scissors, I was able to adapt and use them in my right hand, but when my mom bought me some lefty scissors I couldn't be happier!  Now a company comes along and offers us a nice rifle built specifically for us leftys and you guys don't support it?  You don't have to buy it, but at least support a company that supports us. In answer to this Post...NO, it isn't NECISSARY that there be a Lefty AR, just like it wasn't NECISSARY that my mom bought me left-handed scissors, but it sure made me happier.  I have no doubt that my Lefty AR will make me feel the same way.

Amen...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Also, for all of you Leftys who claim the brass and gas across the face is no big deal and claim all of those "advantages" over rightys shooting a RH rifle (being able to single load a round/seeing into the chamber, etc). I ask you a History question... why didn't Stoner/Browning/whoever design the port on the left side in the first place so the right handers could have all these advantages?

Its one thing to say you've already adapted to the right-hand rifle and it would be too difficult for you to switch to a LH design, its another to say a LH rifle is totally unneccasary and bash the gun because YOU don't want  to  or can't relearn it.

By the way, why do glove manufactures make a righthand AND lefthand glove?  Think of how much they could save if they had only one RH pattern to follow and made people wear them upsidedown on the Lefthand!!!! Having a LH glove is totally UNNECESSARY!

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I dont like alot of things but I do like STAG lefty's (I have a few). My biggest question though is if you dont like Lefty uppers then why have an opinion on them at all. I dont like Colt revolvers and therefore would never waste one second of my time going to a colt revolver online forum and bashing them. If you dont like something then why in the world would you spend valuable time talking about how much they suck,ESPECIALLY if they dont apply to you (i.e righties)For the people that do appreciate them we are glad there is a company who caters to our needs or wants.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I received my Stag lefty upper today!  It's a 3HL.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#35]
As a lefty, ever try shooting a suppressor on a standard AR?  For the pistol calibers it's no big deal, but when you move up to the 5.56, the ammount of blow back from the ejection port is much more than just a little inconvenience.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm a lefty and the only left-handed action guns I own are both bolt-action rifles. I have no desire to own a lefty AR, I just bought a righty Stag upper a few weeks ago.

Yes, I'm a lefty who "claims the brass and gas across the face is no big deal". As a matter of fact, I don't notice the brass at all. If you do notice it then something's wrong. Anyone, right-handed or left, is going to get a whiff of gas if they shoot with nose to charging handle. The only problem with brass I have is with my old Colt SP1, the brass smacks me in the face when I shoot it. I think it's probably an ejector or extractor issue because my first AR was a Colt SP1 and I was never once hit with brass.

I think it's great that Stag stepped up to the plate to offer something for left-handed shooters, but it's just that it's something I don't care to have.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Southpaw here -

I love the way the M16 / AR15 platform works for us left-handed shooters.
The only thing that might work better is an ambi-safety selector, but after
shooting for years, I've gotten used to flipping the safety as is.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
As a matter of fact, I don't notice the brass at all. If you do notice it then something's wrong.  

This is the second time this has been said. Why is it wrong to notice?

If you shoot with both eyes open, you will notice it. You are looking in the direction or the right-handed ejection port. How could you not notice? You may not let it catch your attention at some level but you should see it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Noticing the brass is one thing, distracted is another. Still doesn't mean something is wrong, you just could use a lefty upper.

I shot a righty AR 13 years ago and haven't fired one since. Starting off on a lefty now won't make a difference to me. If you are used to a righty, fine. If you are a lefty just starting out with ARs (like I am), go with a lefty, if you want.

The theory of a righty using a lefty gun makes sence if you want to viually see the chamber/ flying brass comfirmation.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Are lefty ARs completely unnecessary?

That's like asking "Are lefty ARs completely unnecessary?"
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#42]
You guys sound like a bunch of third graders. Mine is bigger than yours and my daddy is a policeman.

Stag Arms has made a marketing decision and as I understand plans to keep making and filling orders. The percentages are not high enough that Stag will drop the right-handed AR because of increased sales in left-handed. So, what the big deal. At this stage it is a cookie cutter operation for Stag to produce parts for left handers. Think about it, if 5% of all men in America own a AR and 15% of them buy left-handed Stags. Could the sales be 20,000 - 50,000 more AR in Stag's gross sales?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I would like a stag arms lefty upper just to have a truly left handed rifle. I do like the advantages of shooting a right handed AR left handed, but the novelty of the lefty AR appeals to me.

Also, if you don't prefer left handed bolt guns, you are a bit off.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As a matter of fact, I don't notice the brass at all. If you do notice it then something's wrong.  

This is the second time this has been said. Why is it wrong to notice?

If you shoot with both eyes open, you will notice it. You are looking in the direction or the right-handed ejection port. How could you not notice? You may not let it catch your attention at some level but you should see it.

I guess I should explain what I meant. If the flying brass is taking your attention away from the sights then something is wrong. It's just that I don't let the ejection of brass distract me at what I'm aiming.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top