Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 1:05:25 PM EDT
I just built my first AR and took it out this last saturday.  I inspected the  casings and found wear marks around the case rims.  Is this normal or excessive wear?  When does it become considered "excessive"?  Thank you.

This is the casing from either Winchester Q3131 or Q3131A.  It does the same thing with Federal XM193.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
My CMMG DPMS upper does the same thing. I think their gas port size or chamber dimensions are just a little bit off...
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
wyv3rn,

Nice pic, hard to tell from that angle how far the extractor rim is displaced to the rear tho.

From what I can see I'd say it looks a little on the forceful side.

Different chamber pressures will cause different extractor signatures. Higher pressure more pull.

What brand and make of AR, did it work?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My CMMG DPMS upper does the same thing. I think their gas port size or chamber dimensions are just a little bit off...
View Quote

Didn't yours actually rip a rim off?  Have you pulled your extractor apart?  Did it have the extractor spring o-ring installed already?  Have you been firing it with or without the O-ring/D-ring?  I am curious because mine came with an O-ring around the spring already.  I took it out before I went to the range (I will detail why in my full review/debrief later).
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice pic, hard to tell from that angle how far the extractor rim is displaced to the rear tho.
View Quote

There's just some wear there, the rear of the rim (with the primer face) isn't actually misaligned from the rest of the rim.

From what I can see I'd say it looks a little on the forceful side.
View Quote

Is any amount normal?  Should the casing actually have a little wear around the rim?

What brand and make of AR, did it work?
View Quote

One I put together:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=168798[/url]

And more or less, yes it did work, I just have a few things to figure out (this being one of them) before I give a full review.  Does anyone have any input about this at all?  Anything will help.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn't yours actually rip a rim off?  
View Quote

Yes, on the first two rounds I fired. Hasnt done it in the 258 rounds since.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
On carbine rifles, I don't think it is uncommon for the extractor to leave a mark on the rim, especially when shooting milspec ammo.  As long as the rim isn't overly deformed, I wouldn't worry about it.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top