Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 12:19:22 AM EDT
Are any of the brands of A2 stock better than the others? How about the buffers, tubes, etc?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes there are differences. Some have better made tubes. some tubes have a different coating on the inside also. Some have metal trap doors some plastic. Some have springs that look well made some look like something off a screen door. Some have the screw with a vent hole in it and some do not. Some have plastic spacers some have a metal one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, who has what? Am I better off getting a GI stock and searching for good parts, or should I just get a RRA set? If I have to search for parts, who has good ones?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#3]
if you want to play it safe, get Colt or Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#4]
bushmonster, but i have one from mdel one sales and it has an aluminum spacer, nice made tube, and it looks great
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#5]
As far as I have seen them Bushmaster, Colt and DPMS have MilSpec parts on their A2 buttstocks. RRA so far I have seen have plastic parts.

Bushmaster, Colt and DPMS also have drylube coating on their buffer tubes.

MN
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
The BEST furniture is from Cavalry Arms, available from Adrenaline_Arms on the EE!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I found a GI stock. Now I need the parts that go with it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#8]
gunshow
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
gunshow

Rogggger on that
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
gunshow

Negative

Gunshows are not a viable option. Internet is.

With all of the AR15 knowledge here, I'm surprised I haven't had more replies.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd buy LMT or Colt buffer tubes, buffers, springs, etc.  LMT parts are reasonably prices and readily available.

As for stocks, I'd use Colt, LMT or VLTOR stocks (fixed and collapsable).  I've heard CavArms stocks are good but I would only use their A1 (or A2 if you like that length) fixed stocks.

YMMV.  But stocks, tubes, springs and hardware are not areas where I would cut corners to save money.

HTH.

Corey
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Does LMT have a website?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Does LMT have a website?

I think they do but they don't sell direct.

Wes at MSTN handles LMT parts.  Check out his forum here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#14]
How is Armalite for stock parts?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Go with Bushmaster

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

IMHO, better than most.  Their butt plate trap doors fit flush with the butt plate, and their receiver extensions are reinforced at the neck.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO, better than most.  Their butt plate trap doors fit flush with the butt plate, and their receiver extensions are reinforced at the neck.

Thanks. I'm not concerned with the stock since I already bought a USGI surplus stock from another member here. I'll look into the parts from Armalite. I'm also thinking about the parts that White Oak Armament sells. John and Jeff won't buy or sell parts they wouldn't shoot themselves.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Check out Yankee Hill

YHM-8581  Receiver Extension/Buffer Tube - Precision CNC machined from solid 7075-T6 aluminum, hardcoated and dry film lubricated to mil. specs

YHM-9348  Spacer Buttcap - Made from aircraft quality billet aluminum and mil. spec. plated
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#19]
As far as the stocks themselves, I've got two new Colt stocks, a Bushie new takeoff, and a Rock River new takeoff, and, except for the fact that the Colt stocks are in ziplock bags, you can't tell a bit of difference in any of them (I replaced the plastic door on the RR when I first got it, so that's not an ID factor any more).

The Bushie tube has just a bit of lighter coloring around the front end, the Rock River tube was black anodised all over, and only a Colt tube I have was grey colored all over. If  thet coloring is dry lube, Colt and Bushie put it in the wrong place, because none of it is inside either tube.

The Colt buffer has a friction fitted rear bumper piece; the Bushie and Rock River pieces are split pinned at the rear.

For my money, get what's least expensive of any of the major brands. They're all essentially the same, with the exception of the plastic door on the Rock River stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top