Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/11/2003 7:13:58 PM EDT
I know that Bushmaster's AR-15's are as military spec as possible for civilians, but I have heard that Armalite's aren't. If anyone knows why they aren't military spec, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster uses 4150, Armalite uses 4140 alloy steel to make their barrels. That's the only difference I know of off the top of my head, there may be more.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Gcode. Does anyone else know of something else that makes Armalite's gun differ from Bushmaster's?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I may be wrong but I'll give it a try.

The only barrels Bushmaster makes without the chrome chamber/bore (mil-spec.) is their Varmint and DCM barrels.

I don't think ArmaLite offers a chrome bore in any of their barrels. Or at least, they didn't use to.

A chrome bore offers superior corrosion resistance and increases the lifespan of the barrel. But the chrome usually can not be uniformly plated onto the bore and this lack of uniformity can cause a decrease in accuracy. Thus, a non-lined barrel will usually be more accuracte than a lined barrel.

But truthfully, most of us are not skilled enough shooters to notice the difference.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
No, Armalite offers chrome lined barrels, and they only slightly deter accuracy, but it affects it just enough so that most national matches have stainless steel barrels. Thanks for your reply.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Read the AR15 comparison chart at the top of this board.

Also check out this page wich is part of The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site.

[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/theseriousar.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I currently own ArmaLite and Bushmaster AR's, the only real differences I see between them is in the past ArmaLite used the SAAMI chamber spec and not all barrels were chromelined.  ArmaLite claims to now be using the NATO spec chamber.  In the late 90's ArmaLite shipped barrels with only the chambers chromed... and some of those used set screws instead taper pins on the FSB.  I don't know if the set screw deal was a fluke, a Y2K motivated change, or just my luck... either way that barrel assembly was changed to a Bushmaster...

edited due to lack of coffee...
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:34:34 AM EDT
[#7]
My Armalite upper has a chrome lined barrel, and the brake is silver soldered on.  I've shot a few 1/2" groups with that rifle; I'm sure that with a better shot, it would do it consisently.  I've seen Bushmaster and Armalite rifles side by side; I think the finish on the Armalites is better than the Bushys, but that's just me.  Whatever chamber it has, I've had no trouble with Wolf, SA surplus, match ammo, or handloads.  The first 600 rounds through the rifle were Wolf, and I didn't experience one FTE or FTF.  

If you're thinking of an Armalite, buy it with confidence; it's a great rifle, and you'll enjoy it.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Is 4150 or 4140 steel stronger?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#9]
4150 has more carbon in the mix and tends to have better wear resistance than 4140, but it's not that significant.  Just sort of a cute extra feature.

The most "mil-spec" post-ban AR-15 I've seen was probably a DPMS custom I had with an M16A2 type barrel, 4150 steel, 1-7 twist barrel, chrome lined, lightweight A2 gov't profile (light profile under handguard, HBAR on front), forged upper/lower receivers.  One of my pet peeves about 99% of 20" AR's on the market today is that they have these HBAR barrels, and it doesn't really make it much more accurate if at all.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#10]
All of ArmaLites barrels are either chromed or stainless unless special ordered.  It's been like that for years.

And they use NATO chambers on the chromed barrels.  Earlier rifles were SAAMI.

I agree the finish of the ArmaLites is better. Accuracy of mine are unbelievable.  There are a lot of differences though.  The clamping front sight so you can put the rear sight right down the middle is my favorite.  Armalite has been working military projects and has added the O ring to the extractor spring like SOF uses.  There's a bunch of other changes too but you'll have to check their site out for them.  They use a special charging handle that's stronger than normal.  The match trigger is very durable and breaks great.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#11]
It`s a nit picking point, but I believe Armalite still uses steel or aluminum trigger guards vs. the mil spec plastic.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It`s a nit picking point, but I believe Armalite still uses steel or aluminum trigger guards vs. the mil spec plastic.
View Quote

Mil-specs call for a plastic trigger guard???
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know that Bushmaster's AR-15's are as military spec as possible for civilians, but I have heard that Armalite's aren't. If anyone knows why they aren't military spec, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
View Quote

No.
GG
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Neither ArmaLite nor Bushmaster manufacturers a mil-spec AR for civilian purchase.  Both make fine AR's.  I'm an ArmaLite guy and have been for many years but I've also owned B/M's along the way.  I do believe the fit-finish comparison goes to ArmaLite as well as some better accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Minor point, but at one time Armalite used a slightly different bolt stop.  I think they’ve stopped using it.

Some newer Armalites have a pinned-on muzzlebrake that is [b]somewhat[/b] easily removed.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#16]
[b]Does Armalite use a cast or fordged front sight base?[/b]
I thought they used Wilson non chromed barrels.
Guess it's been a while since I 've looked at an Armalite.

I know Armalite charging handles are not mil-spec and have trouble with the Ceiner .22LR kit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know that Bushmaster's AR-15's are as military spec as possible for civilians......
View Quote

Well, then you know more than I do and that's entirely possible.  What would stop B/M from making a 'completely mil-spec AR' for civilian use ??
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Isnt the concept of a "completely mil-spec AR15" kind of odd considering the military uses M16 variants? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Isnt the concept of a "completely mil-spec AR15" kind of odd considering the military uses M16 variants? [:D]
View Quote

Yes !!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I think that Bushmaster only uses 1:9 twist barrels instead of the military's 1:7 twist.  Armalite also uses a 1:9 twist.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think that Bushmaster only uses 1:9 twist barrels instead of the military's 1:7 twist.  Armalite also uses a 1:9 twist.  
View Quote

Yep, I believe you're correct - at least in chrome lined barrels.

[b]Welcome to AR15.com - the finest board in all of gundom !![/b]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#22]
My AR's more MilSpec than Yours Is
My AR's More MilSpec than yours
Sarge said its so that non-chromes gotta go
My Ar's better than yours.

Oh I wish I was a half retarded Sgt
That is what I'd truly like to be-he-e
Cause if I were a half retarded Sgt
I could preach the MilSpec god to the
I could tell you that the spec was the greatest
And you all would lick it up with glee
Cause if I was a half retarded Sgt
All of you would foolishly look up to me.

With apologys to the Oscar Myer Wiener Song.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#23]
A law that was passed prevented AR-15's from being military spec (i.e. as the M16), if you have a Bushmaster catalog, you'll notice that the AR-15 has to use slightly different parts than the M16, and if you have ONE of these M16 parts, your AR-15 is a machine gun. The AR-15 is the civilian M16, so it uses some military spec parts, which is why I asked if it was "mil. spec".
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Lumpy, I never said anything about "completely" military spec, I was just asking if they were as military spec as possible for civilians. I wanted to know this because mil. spec parts are easier to find, and because they are proven.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#25]
And because using a Government standard for reference, when possible, prevents us poor civilians from having to fret if something will fit our rifle or not.

We run into plento of AR-15 hack jobs ("FN" parts anyone?) and we'd rather not spend our money on parts which are according to a sole manufacturer's proprietary design. (Cough. COLT. Cough.)
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A law that was passed prevented AR-15's from being military spec (i.e. as the M16), if you have a Bushmaster catalog, you'll notice that the AR-15 has to use slightly different parts than the M16, and [red]if you have ONE of these M16 parts, your AR-15 is a machine gun[/red]. The AR-15 is the civilian M16, so it uses some military spec parts, which is why I asked if it was "mil. spec".
View Quote

Tank, if you do some browsing here, you will find that this is bullshit.  Full-auto capability makes your gun a machine gun.  Bushmaster won't sell specific parts to you for CYA reasons, not legal ones.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I thought the plastic trigger guard was odd, too, but then read an interesting article about the best SHTF AR (on the Maryland site?) in which they reference the guard - the metal ones have the capacity to bend, making access to the trigger difficult or even impossible.  Plastic would simply snap and not have a detrimental impact on the ability of the weapon to function.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey all, interesting thread.
I have served 14 years in the Army and Army Reserves, 6 of which were spent with one of the USARMTU's, marksmanship Training units, Rifle Team.
I (and many others) have always thought of "Mil-Spec" as well, a Bad thing. Remember Mil Spec is built by the Lowest Bidder. While on the Rifle Team, The Armorers gave up on FN's for buildiing our rifles after they took our M21's. All of our rifles were built on Mostly Armalites and some Bushys, we purchased ourselves and built up. Today most of SOCOM does not even come close to Mil-spec.
I have an Armalite and a Bushmaster and am very satisfied with each.
4140 or 4150 steel, really all that matters is if they shoot, right? WELL both these do no question about that.
Both ARmalite and Bushys have Chrome lined barrles now.
I did not like the plastic trigger guard on my bushy until I read the post above, GOOD Point! maybe Ill switch them both to plastic now!
One Thing I hated about my Bushy was the front site housing was not the same height as a "Mil-Spec" front housing, this sucked using an ARMS #40 site because you had to install the longer site post which makes it stick up as high as the housing ears, how long you thing that will last?? hahahha. I Installed an Armalite site Housing and now its fine with Trijicon Irons in it.
If I had to choose one it would be My Armalite M15A4 SPR, It Is the best and Most Verstile. IMHO. BTW People at Armalite are just plain Nicer than at Bushy Too IMHO. Your not a bother to them and they dont make you feel like your wasting their time.
Just my $.02
cp  
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Cannibal, perhaps if you read the "AR15 vs. M16" story in the legal issues department of the home page, you'd realize that AR-15's can't have most of the parts of the M16 to be legal. It is not just "Bushmaster's CYA" issue, it is a legal issue, and every manufacturer must abide by it. In fact, Bushmaster sells the closest to mil. spec AR-15's that I know of. Please do not try to pawn off your bs on me, my friend had one M16 part on his AR-15 and is now serving his 10 year sentence.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Military spec obviously didn't make the bushmaster rifles less in quality, because they use stronger steel that Armalite! If non-mil. spec meant that companies made the rifles of HIGHER quality, then I'd buy them, the simple fact is that they don't.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
 my friend had one M16 part on his AR-15 and is now serving his 10 year sentence.
View Quote

What part was it ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I thought the plastic trigger guard was odd, too, but then read an interesting article about the best SHTF AR (on the Maryland site?) in which they reference the guard - the metal ones have the capacity to bend, making access to the trigger difficult or even impossible.  Plastic would simply snap and not have a detrimental impact on the ability of the weapon to function.
View Quote

I read that article a long time ago and while I agree with it and like plastic trigger guards better I don't like to see information begin portrayed as fact if it isn't.  If the military uses plastic trigger guards then fine but people seem to believe that just because Bushmaster does it then the military must also.

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#34]
4140 wears much worse and is incapable of being reliable in tough environments. So obviously it's superior [rolleyes].
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I read that article a long time ago and while I agree with it and like plastic trigger guards better I don't like to see information begin portrayed as fact if it isn't.  If the military uses plastic trigger guards then fine but people seem to believe that just because Bushmaster does it then the military must also.

View Quote

I just love the Bushmaster-is-mil-spec crowd !!  [b]Bushmaster is not even a recognized supplier to the military while not only  is ArmaLite recognized as such but is a current supplier to the US military and the militaries of at least two allied countries.[/b]

Just received a letter today from ArmaLite date 10 July 03.  A couple of excerpts:

"In past months ArmaLite has conducted a series of advanced tests of the cycle of the operations of the AR-10.  The goal of the testing has been to fine tune the rifle's mechanism to take advantage of lessons learned during Military testing of the M-4 Carbine and deployment of AR-10 rifles to the Middle East."

"ArmaLite will continue to follow the lessons learned in the Middle East and the technical work on the M-16 and M-4 now being conducted by the military authorities to assure that ArmaLite's AR-10's and M-15's are the most up-to-date rifles in the world."

Based on extensive in-house testing and on information gathered from Crane, [b]ArmaLite is GIVING (as in FREE, no-charge) to its' customers a new Extractor Spring Reinforcement made with material that is finely matched to the AR-10.  "The stiffer o-ring provides improved tolerance for heat, dust and rifle or ammunitions variations."[/b]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#36]

"I just love the Bushmaster-is-mil-spec crowd !!  [b]Bushmaster is not even a recognized supplier to the military while not only  is ArmaLite recognized as such but is a current supplier to the US military and the militaries of at least two allied countries."

What weapons does Armalite supply to to the US Govt, and in what quantities? I assume the AR10 is one. Anything else?

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"I just love the Bushmaster-is-mil-spec crowd !!  [b]Bushmaster is not even a recognized supplier to the military while not only  is ArmaLite recognized as such but is a current supplier to the US military and the militaries of at least two allied countries."

What weapons does Armalite supply to to the US Govt, and in what quantities? I assume the AR10 is one. Anything else?

View Quote

Can't answer your question - and so far as quantities I don't know and wouldn't answer if I did.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I thought the military was using the SR-25 not the AR10 at least I know ranger units and seals use the Knights SR-25 and although bushmaster does not currently supply to the military it filled a contract for M4s 12 years ago I do know they supply weapons to a lot of federal agencies.And the quality was good enough 12 years ago for government acceptance,and as far as I know bushmaster hasnt changed its AR recipe,I like armalite but they wont sell their forged lowers and barrel configurations offered are very few.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I did not know the front sight base was shorter on the BM Bbl! I guess I will have trouble when I mount a BM Bbl. to a RRA A4 upper. Live and learn. I think Bushmasters buys some of there parts from a manufacture or manufactures who supply parts to the military. Since they don't manufacture most of the parts that go on the rifle, it would be hard for them to compete or be low bidder on military contract as they would have more money in the parts. Mils spec means among other things- certain tolerences-certain finish-certain metals used in making parts-whether the part was forged over cast ect.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Front site height.
This is news to me but does make sense. I have an Armalite M15A4 and use te detachable front site on the picatinny rail. It must be a touch taller because I dont have to use the extended front site.  
Wes from MSTN told me about the height difference in the Bushmasters, He said that they dont normally use them when building rifles because of their different height. He may have been referring to that and the colt design. They use many colt parts on their builds I believe. This may have been my misundersanding. Troy, your explanation makes more sense.
good luck
cp
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm assuming that the US Marine M-16's I've shot were mil-spec but I don't recall them having plastic trigger guards.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I just love the Bushmaster-is-mil-spec crowd !!  [b]Bushmaster is not even a recognized supplier to the military while not only  is ArmaLite recognized as such but is a current supplier to the US military and the militaries of at least two allied countries.[/b]

Just received a letter today from ArmaLite date 10 July 03.  A couple of excerpts:

"In past months ArmaLite has conducted a series of advanced tests of the cycle of the operations of the AR-10.  The goal of the testing has been to fine tune the rifle's mechanism to take advantage of lessons learned during Military testing of the M-4 Carbine and deployment of AR-10 rifles to the Middle East."

"ArmaLite will continue to follow the lessons learned in the Middle East and the technical work on the M-16 and M-4 now being conducted by the military authorities to assure that ArmaLite's AR-10's and M-15's are the most up-to-date rifles in the world."

Based on extensive in-house testing and on information gathered from Crane, [b]ArmaLite is GIVING (as in FREE, no-charge) to its' customers a new Extractor Spring Reinforcement made with material that is finely matched to the AR-10.  "The stiffer o-ring provides improved tolerance for heat, dust and rifle or ammunitions variations."[/b]
View Quote

Hey 5subslr5, I received an e-mail stating everything [b]but[/b] the part about replacing parts, so who should I contact about getting those parts?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Why not go to www.armalite.com and find out which barrels are chrome-lined?  Their Tech Note #1 answers all you would need to know about whether their rifles are "mil-spec" or not, and why.  It's no secret.  You can download their catalog and read it at your leisure, too.

I find that their Tech Notes are not only useful and informative, but applicable to AR15's in general, not just Armalites.  We should thank them for providing an excellent resource.  If you have not perused their Tech Notes, take the time to do so.  You can download them in MS Word format in just a few minutes.

Just had to add... as far as plastic trigger guards, like plastic buffers, not in MY AR's!  I don't buy the "it will not tie up the trigger" argument.  The purpose of the trigger guard is to prevent snags on the trigger.  BUT also, I want it to protect the trigger.  If an aluminum trigger guard is bent and interferes with the trigger, it can be folded down out of the way.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
EXCEPT that Colt RAISED the height of the FSB along with a number of other minor changes when designing the Technical Data Package for the M4
View Quote

Are you saying that Colt designed and created this all on their own without any direction or requirement from the military?  Is this just something they pulled out of their hat and the military bought off on it?  I don't believe it for a second.  We write software for the Navy and we have requirements and specifications coming at us from a dozen directions.  We even have review boards to make sure we included everything they wanted and nothing they didn't.  

I have a hard time believing that the Army doesn't control EVERY aspect of that weapon that they put in the solders hands.  It sounds like I'm wrong but man, we are in serious trouble if they allow Colt (or any other manufacture) to just dream up specs for no good reason other than to secure their sole source rights to the M4.  I don't blame Colt, I blame the Army for allowing that to happen.

If what you say is true, it was probably some General that's in bed with Colt that signed off on that one!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#46]
The most important lack of features in the Armalite is that the lower receiver is not DIAS or Link ready and the front site is a clamp on style rather than put on with taper pins.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't care what Armalite gives the Army, the simple fact is that what Armalite gives civilians is not mil. spec. I'm sure that they're good for target shooting, I'd just rather let my life be in the hands of a closer to mil. spec rifle.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Hey 5subslr5, I received an e-mail stating everything [b]but[/b] the part about replacing parts, so who should I contact about getting those parts?
View Quote

ar10er, I'll dig up the exact email verbiage and post here tomorrow for you.

5sub
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I do buy the fact that the military uses the plastic trigger guard because the metal ones could bend. In a firefight, you're not going to have the time to bend the metal back, you have to shoot RIGHT NOW. Anyway, the trigger guard isn't my concern, barrel life is. The barrel life on bushmasters *should* be longer than on Armalites.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

ar10er, I'll dig up the exact email verbiage and post here tomorrow for you.

5sub
View Quote

Or better yet right now !

The email address to use is [email protected]

Place the following exactly as written in the subject    "Please send new AR-10 Extractor Ring"  (Drop the quotes of course.)

In the body of your email give your name, address and the number of Extractor Rings you need for your AR-10's AND M-15's and ArmaLite will send them to you at NO CHARGE !!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top