Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2018 7:38:47 AM EDT
I’m looking for a scope for my larue 308 AR.  It will be mainly used for deer hunting up to 300 yards but I’d like the ability to shoot long range.  I’ve been looking at the nightforce shv 4-14 F1 and it’s $1250.

Any other scopes in that price range I should check out?  I want ffp and illuminated reticle.  I can get an eotech vudu 3.5-18 for around $1100.  Anybody used one of these?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I hear great things about the Voodoo, GT did a review . Votex has some offerings too. I just run a 3.5x Acog cheveron. Not what you're looking for though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A FFP illuminated PST Gen II 3-15x44 would run you around $999. Comes in Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA and has an integrated zero stop. Hard to say much else about it being that we are obviously biased, but it's one of the favorites of all our optics around here at the office. (Yes, even up there with the Gen II Razors) but here is the link for info PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP (ignore MSRP on website - if you pay MSRP you done paid too much)

Let us know if you have any questions at all! Otherwise we'll leave the testimonials for performance up to everyone else here. - Jimmy H [email protected]
View Quote
Definitely another option I’ve thought about and the price is right considering a mount will add to it.  I’d love to hear anyone’s thoughts on this vs the other options.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Another scope to consider is the Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18x44. They have been discontinued but they are the same as the Bushnell LRTS only with different turrets, reticle and knurling on the diopter adjustment. G. A. Precision is only place still selling them. George Gardner, G. A. Precision's owner, had a hand in designing them. They're sold out of the scopes by themselves but they still have a few that come with a Leatherman MUT for $800. http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-store/optics/bushnell-lrhs-4-5-18x44-g2h-illum-1.html The Leatherman MUT sells for over $150 over on Amazon.

From the sell announcement thread on Sniper's Hide:
Crazy Deal, Bushnell Elite Tactical has downsized SkU’s for 2017 so with the addition of the LRTS scopes has decided to drop the LRHS models. GA Precision has procured the last of them and is able to offer them for pretty much 1/2 Off MAP

As a Bonus, we are pairing them up with a Leatherman MUT Tool to make this even sweeter. Includes FDE Molle Pouch.

3 years ago Pat Sinclair and I (George) helped Bushnell design a no-nonsense hunting optic for the Elite Line. years worth of experience went into the specs of it. Have used this scope a ton and it’s Solid!

Awesome long-distance Target/Hunting optic with mil based illuminated reticle.

First focal plane G2H-i reticle allows ranging at any magnification
10 position illumination.
RevLimiter™ zero stop on elevation turret allows an instant return to zero
30mm tube for increased adjustment
Target-style elevation turret and resettable, capped, windage turret
Large Mil marking for fast adjustments
Zero mark Arrow for instant zero recognition
RainGuard HD lens coating
Fully multi-coated optics
Ultra Wide Band lens coatings
Side parallax adjustment
Manufactured in Japan by Light Optical for Bushnell Elite Tactical.

$800 for a Scope and MUT Tool
$750 for Scope only.
View Quote
Bushnell is running a rebate for $200 back on Elite Tactical Riflescopes right now that this scope could possibly apply for. Some people are saying that it doesn't so it's a crapshoot on whether it does are not but even without the rebate it is a great deal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I realize opinions have changed but these opinions are due to convenience and available technology rather than operational necessity.

For the longest time and really still today, military long range scopes are generally 10X so that's all you need to shoot out to 1000 yards.  It is nice to have greater magnification for clarity and target ID but its a luxury rather than a necessity.

That being said a 1-8 is a great option for medium to short range targets from 3 to 800 yards.  The beauty of this package is flexibility throughout the entire envelope of range and there are several man's out there right now, NF, Trijicon, Primary Arms who offer products.

If you still want to go with a traditional hunting/tactical variable optic then the NF 3.5 to 15 with Zero Stop is an excellent option but comes in at a higher price than where you currently are but my opinion on some things, especially optics, is buy once...cry once.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Midway has two good lower priced options on sale right now.

Vortex Viper PST Gen I 4-16X50 for $599.99 + free shipping

Vortex Viper PST Gen I 6-24X50 for $699.99 + free shipping
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.  I ended up buying a used eotech vudu 3.5-18 ffp for $1000 with scope rings.

To the guy writing about the value of 1-6/8. I’ve got a trijicon 1-8 on a 5.56 larue that I do like.  If the eotech is too much magnification I may switch optics and go with something else on the 5.56.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top