Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 1:06:46 PM EDT
i'm a weirdo.  i use an L-grab on my rifle.  i will soon be getting a Surefire M962SU06, and mounting it under the barrel with an AAC rail section.  problem is, i'm not sure where to put the tapeswitch so that i can use it with an L-grab, and then how to attach it securely when i do find a location.  i want to find a way to mount the switch on the d-ring, but i can't think of a way, besides the velcro (in which i do not want to trust 100%).  

i had also considered getting a longer cable for the switch, and running it down to the rear pistol grip (well, the only pistol grip, since i use an L-grab).  the advantage would be that i could manipulate things like doors while still keeping my light on and keeping my firing hand near the trigger.  but, it's really easy to accidently turn the light on with those fingers, especially if you're only holding the rifle with that one hand.

any suggestions would be great.  thanks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
you can attach the tape switch to the "L grab" with a ranger band ( bike tire inner tube).  It holds up better than velcro since the adhesive gets gets warm (sunlight is warm enough)and fails to stick.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:07:45 AM EDT
[#2]
what's an L-grab?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
i was thinking innertube, but i didn't know if it'd stetch all the way around the delta ring.  i guess i'll have to try it when i get my light.  

an L-grab is where you hold the rifle by the magazine well instead of the handguards.  the top of my hand makes contact with the delta ring, so it's easiest as far as i can tell, to put the switch where my left thumb can hit it.  like ON the delta ring.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:06:41 AM EDT
[#4]
aaah thanks. Thats the hold i've been using since taking a class from pat rogers, he didn't tell us the name for it tho.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
from what i've heard, most tactical rifle teachers, like dave harrington and whatnot, will advise against the L-grab.  but, for me, it's natural with my right-handed shooting.  left-handed, i shoot normal, and hold the handguards.  the L-grab is hard to deal with when you've got extra weight, like a suppressor and a light, on the end of your rifle, but i'll only be dealing with a light and one rail section, so it works for me.  the advantages i get out of it, like stability and having my hand right there on the magazine for mag changes, have no other conceivable downside.  i believe that the reason teachers usually caution against it is because for a lot of people it restricts the ability to turn the upper body and engage targets without throwing things out of whack.  

i've never had that problem.  same as i've never had a problem with my face moving with a non-nose-to-charging-handle cheek weld when turning to address other targets on the sides.  just do what works.  most teachers will agree with that rule.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
well, nevermind.  my tango down foregrip is on the way.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top