Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2003 7:51:19 AM EDT
Ok, I have seen this type of early M-16 upper a few times, only in movies (eg Full Metal Jacket, Tigerland). No fwd assist, but an odd protusion where the FA normally is. You can see it on the side of the M-16s in the below
pics, the lump just above the rear take down pin.
What is it? What models was it found on, or is it some sort of Hollywood
addition?
http://www.tigerlandmovie.com/images/popups/downloads/row3pic2.jpg
http://www.dvdmaxx.com/photos/tigerland4.jpg
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a holly wood thing,it could be the upper dosent have the releif cuts for full auto and that part makes up for it?in any event ive never seen it on any AR other than in movies.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a non-firing replica. No telling what that lump actually does.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like rubber duck to me...
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The power switch for the fake flashes and noise? :)

-JR
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Also, if you'll notice, the mag release has a fence around it, I didn't think this feature was on the Vietnam era M-16's.  Alot of times the movie people have to take new lowers and uppers and dress them up to look like the older parts.  Talk at ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Could it be a FA lower but with the hole plugged.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah..it's a........thing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#9]
That's just how Marui or Shoei made the non-gun M16A1 back in the 70s and 80s.  I don't think they had a good pic of the M16A1 when they made the die for casting the upper.  I'm not sure, but I think there was a hex screw in the lump that held the upper closed on the lower instead of the rear take down pin.  That way, you couldn't drop a real M16A1 upper on the non-gun lower and have a machinegun.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top