Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2003 8:53:30 AM EDT
I am considering a carbon fiber handguard for my M4gery, and wanted to see if anyone out there had any experience with them.  I had intended to attach a rail on the left side at the 9-o'clock position to mount a Surefire light. (I don't like having it mounted on the barrel as it affects point of aim when it off - I don't always mount the Surefire). I have an Aimpoint CompML2 which is mounted on a ARMS 22M68 at the front end of the upper receiver.

I doubt that I will be moving the dot sight any further forward, so a top rail isn't needed.

I was primarily looking at the carbon fiber handguard because of the low weight, compared to a RAS/RAS2, etc. Lower cost is a plus too.

Do they cool well/keep the handguard from getting too hot?

All comments welcome.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind is it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked at the one you offer, Wes, and it appears to be for a 20" barrel. This is to be for a M4/carbine lenght barrel (16" really).

And the cost isn't really much cheaper than a RAS/RAS2/etc.

The one I was considering was at

http://www.hiperform.com/hand-guards.htm

$99, plus whatever it costs for me to mount a rail. Beats $350, assuming that it'll hold up well. Which is why I'm asking for people who've tried these or something similar. :)
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
RAS and RAS2 are easy to install, you don't have to remove the front sight.  The one you're thinking of doesn't appear to have much in the way of cooling abilities, it's fine for a varmin/bench rifle but if you want a tough and thoroughly tested system, RAS2, SIR and PRI would be my choice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
billclo,

Here's another lite tactical hand guard.
The "Predator" rail system (Patent Pending),is very lite in weight and extremely rigid. Our system sells for $150.00 less the the SIR (ARMS) system.
Just wanted you to know you have another choice when it comes to low cost, extremely rigid, tactical hand guard system. "Predator" rail system, is designed and manufactured in Phoenix,AZ. for the USA market.
Best regards,

Frank
POF-USA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top