Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2008 7:27:03 AM EDT
Another guy posted he is getting keyholing with 60gr Wolf from his S&W MP15R upper. I just ordered 1000 rounds of this stuff as I don't want to fire corrosive shit through an AR. I realize Century Tantals were having some keyhole issues but wasn't aware of any problems with the S&W AR.

Any feedback?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't shot the ammo you refer to, but I have an S&W M&P-15R and I follow the threads on these closely. The S&W M&P-15R is optimized for the commie surplus 7N6 ammo typically available in 1080 round tins from Bulgaria or Russia. These rounds are unusually long, weigh about 53gr, and have an enclosed hollow point.

This long round with an enclosed air pocket at the front end seems to like the 1:8 twist in the S&W M&P-15R. Many enthusiasts are hoping to circumvent the extra effort required in cleaning up after shooting corrosive ammo by going with HotShot, Barnaul, or Wolf 5.45x39 ammo of different design and construction and they are experiencing "keyhole" issues with tumbling unstabilized bullets.

Shoot the surplus ammo and follow a good cleaning regimen that includes Ballistol to neutralize the corrosive residue and enjoy your rifle. Leave the HotShot, Barnaul, and Wolf for the Tantal Ak-74s.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, the 60gr Wolf stuff has the air pocket. I haven't miked one out but I believe the length is the same as the 53gr fodder. The weight difference comes from using lead instead of the steel penetrator that popped forward into the air pocket of the 7N6 loading (or so I have read on the internetz). Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top