Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2009 10:30:53 AM EDT
Leopold Prismatc 1X14; Anybody got one of these? Any pics of one mounted?  Was wondering how they shape up against other sights & what they looked like mounted. I believe the recticle is etched in the glass so it can still be seen when not under battery power, don't know if that would cause problems if you wanted to use iron sights through this optic?

Thanks,
DS
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had the same question, but no one on here seems to use them, or likes them.  Everytime I bump the thread no one comments.

Link to older thread
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean nobody commented?  I saw a few responses there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Leopold Prismatc 1X14; Anybody got one of these? Any pics of one mounted?  Was wondering how they shape up against other sights & what they looked like mounted. I believe the recticle is etched in the glass so it can still be seen when not under battery power, don't know if that would cause problems if you wanted to use iron sights through this optic?

Thanks,
DS

Leupold Prismatic is just that: it is a prism.  You see the "representation" of the object you are "looking" at - you do not actually "see" the object.  It is not a "see through" optic like what you have with Aimpoint or an Eotech.  Because of that, you will not be able to "co-witness" with this optic.  If you don't have the obsession about batteries / electronic sights dying on you, there are better choices out there.  If you have the $$$, there are also better choices out there.

Pros about Prismatic:
(1) Very strong and will last forever - built like a tank, or more precisely, will survive after being ran over by a tank.
(2) The image is very sharp and clear.
(3) Will work with or without a battery (but so will other optics such as the Nightforce, albeit they cost a whole lot more $$$).
(4) Very fast (although not any faster than any other 1X optic) with multiple targets or follow up shots.
(5) Compact

Cons about Prismatic:
(1) Cannot "co-witness" with irons.
(2) Supposedly, it is not exactly parallax free - but I've never noticed that when shooting while moving.
(3) It has an eye relief, so unlike red dot optics, you do have restrictions about how far forward you can mount it on your rifle.  But the eye relief is very generous.  I mount mine pretty far forward on my flat top (shooting nose to the charging handle) using LaRue/s 5/8" riser.  
(4) The dot size is too large (somewhere around 6-8 MOA) - but 200 yards shots are very attainable even with my average skill level.
(5) Battery life is very short - something like 14 hours at the highest illumination setting (Setting #8).  Having said that, you will never have to use that setting, not even in the brightest day light.  Setting #1 is plenty for night time / low light use.  For daytime, I have yet ever find the need to use the illumination because the reticle is etched.

All in all, I think the Prismatic is a very good optic, mainly for someone who has a phobia about battery / electronic component failure.  But if you trust batteries / electronics for hard use and/or you have the $$$, there are definitely better choices out there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
DS

Leupold Prismatic is just that: it is a prism.  You see the "representation" of the object you are "looking" at - you do not actually "see" the object.  It is not a "see through" optic like what you have with Aimpoint or an Eotech.  Because of that, you will not be able to "co-witness" with this optic.  If you don't have the obsession about batteries / electronic sights dying on you, there are better choices out there.  If you have the $$$, there are also better choices out there.

Pros about Prismatic:
(1) Very strong and will last forever - built like a tank, or more precisely, will survive after being ran over by a tank.
(2) The image is very sharp and clear.
(3) Will work with or without a battery (but so will other optics such as the Nightforce, albeit they cost a whole lot more $$$).
(4) Very fast (although not any faster than any other 1X optic) with multiple targets or follow up shots.
(5) Compact

Cons about Prismatic:
(1) Cannot "co-witness" with irons.
(2) Supposedly, it is not exactly parallax free - but I've never noticed that when shooting while moving.
(3) It has an eye relief, so unlike red dot optics, you do have restrictions about how far forward you can mount it on your rifle.  But the eye relief is very generous.  I mount mine pretty far forward on my flat top (shooting nose to the charging handle) using LaRue/s 5/8" riser.  
(4) The dot size is too large (somewhere around 6-8 MOA) - but 200 yards shots are very attainable even with my average skill level.
(5) Battery life is very short - something like 14 hours at the highest illumination setting (Setting #8).  Having said that, you will never have to use that setting, not even in the brightest day light.  Setting #1 is plenty for night time / low light use.  For daytime, I have yet ever find the need to use the illumination because the reticle is etched.

All in all, I think the Prismatic is a very good optic, mainly for someone who has a phobia about battery / electronic component failure.  But if you trust batteries / electronics for hard use and/or you have the $$$, there are definitely better choices out there.

Forgive my newbness,,,,but is the new Burris AR 332 Prism sight basically the same type of sight. Any better or worse. Thank's.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/000381302083.html

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#5]
the Burris is a 3x

I have only played with one briefly in a store
I was very impressed with the clarity
I bet if these were priced a bit lower, say 300 bucks they would get a lot more out there
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
the Burris is a 3x

I have only played with one briefly in a store
I was very impressed with the clarity
I bet if these were priced a bit lower, say 300 bucks they would get a lot more out there

Wich one are you talking about you played with in a store, and all that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one. I have astigmatism so the Aimpoint 2moa dot looked like an ellipse of six dots. So for me the prismatic with no magnification is a big improvement over the Aimpoint + 3x magnifier. I don’t have a buis mounted yet so I can’t tell you if you co-witness through it. I just added a LaRue mount for the Prismatic so I can quickly dump the optic if there was a problem such as fogging. The reason I added the LaRue mount was that I didn’t like the thumb screws on the provided mount. If you can afford it and can see the red dot correctly, the Aimpoint plus 3x mag is better.

I should point out that 5 years after the world ends the Prismatic will still work but when the Aimpoint’s battery dies it will be a hollow tube full of blank glass. No I don't expect the world to end but I do have closet full of cameras that require mercury cells.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had one.  I could never get the optic adjusted in such a way to use it with both eyes open, or use it "fast"

that and after 200 rounds on an AR there was internal debris in the field of view.

sent it back and got an Aimpoint

That's what I found at first (about the optic adjustment), but I discovered that adjusting it out door works better than indoor (I do not know why).  Now both of them are perfect (for my eyes) and have no problem shooting with both eyes open when fast shots are required.  Great for shooting sillhouetes or 13" "Shoot 'nSee" bulls eye target out to 200 yards.  Some one with better shooting skills than mine can probably stretch it out to 300 yards.

One thing that I like the best about the Prismatic is the "no knobs to turn" feature.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top