Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 8:26:03 PM EDT
I haven't seen any in a couple years, would like to buy a couple cases.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
if by "floating around" you mean stacked nipple high in the corner of my basement...then yes, there is some still floating around.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
if by "floating around" you mean stacked nipple high in the corner of my basement...then yes, there is some still floating around.

Same here.

Btw, why look for this ammo anymore?  The cost is approaching or higher then new Q3131a / Q3131 / etc ammo.

Everyone should have purchased tons of it when the warning went out...  We had over a month if I recall to buy as much as we wanted.  I should have listened better.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You talking 5.56 or 7.62 or ???
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Wish I would  have been "IN THE KNOW" at that time period..

Instead, I started buying Federal XMs before they went up,and or missing!!

Brenden
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
<sigh>

-Troy

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
<sigh>

-Troy

Troy told us so !
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#8]
How much was it before it dissapeared from the shelves?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are speaking of 5.56, it was ~.10/round when it was readily available.  I bought several 2700 round tubs for $279/tub.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How much was it before it dissapeared from the shelves?

Ask how much it was when you could buy it by the truck load.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:00:33 AM EDT
[#12]
As with any good surplus ammo....buy all you can(and then some) while you can. Stack it high and deep. All supplies are finite.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you are speaking of 5.56, it was ~.10/round when it was readily available.  I bought several 2700 round tubs for $279/tub.

Why oh why oh why was I not of age to buy firearms then
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you have been buying tubs and stacking them in the corner or would you have been one of the guys saying it was stupid to stock up because the supply would never run out and the price would never go up because there was so much surplus ammo available.

Not only was it relatively cheap, I don't recall anyone having an issue with quality or performance.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Formerly stacked nipple high.   Now, just over 2 cases left.  

Some of us listened to Troy......  Thanks buddy
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you have been buying tubs and stacking them in the corner or would you have been one of the guys saying it was stupid to stock up because the supply would never run out and the price would never go up because there was so much surplus ammo available.

Not only was it relatively cheap, I don't recall anyone having an issue with quality or performance.

I'd have stacked that shit as high as I am tall!

I've had my AR for about three months, and have 2800 rounds stocked up with 1k more on the way.

So here's the real question, any predictions on what's the next big surplus to hit the market for me to stack deep?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had my AR for about three months, and have 2800 rounds stocked up with 1k more on the way.

So here's the real question, any predictions on what's the next big surplus to hit the market for me to stack deep?

I don't think there will ever be the huge dump on the market of surplus that has been seen in the past. I wish that it would happen but I don't see it. The next thing to start drying up will be the .308, prices will start rising first and then it will start becoming harder to find except for the known cruddy stuff. 30/06 is already pretty much gone in large lots, tho it can still be found, it ain't cheap either, unless it is corrosive stuff. It can still be bought thru the CMP but decent non US stuff is harder to find.

After seeing the dryup of Ex com bloc ammo I have to wonder about 7.62x39 and how much is out there that will be surplussed to us. Think there is a lot of 7.62x54 out there as prices are still good.

In a few years what will be most surplussed is the over runs or "second" and thirds. Not true surplus ammo in my book. It'll still be more expensive then surplus used to be.

I have one case of SA 5.56 left and I should have bought more then I did. I shot a lot up before I realized it was getting scarce as I only bought from one guy who had bought .5 million rounds. Even he says that GOOD stuff is harder to find and there are a lot of "takers" when it shows up, thus driving the prices up.

Ammo is not a glamorous glitzy thing for the military [ours or whoevers] to spend money on, and I doubt that most spend any more then they need to on it anymore. Even the US ran the stockpiles it had down til it was almost to a critical point.

I hope I am wrong about almost everything I put down above but time will tell. I've bought a lot the past few years and doubt I'll ever find good stuff cheaper in the future.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I was thinking the same thing about 308, I don't have a 308 rifle yet but I do plan on getting a FAL so I might start stocking up on it anyways.

If/when we see the war on terror end do you think anything will hit the market?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
So Troy, what's the best value nowadays? (I'm almost out of the SA I bought when you told me too   )
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't know if you can predict the future but there is usually some decent ammo around; it just isn't as cheap as it was a few years ago.  

Ammo keeps pretty well so I would say just buy some when you see a good deal or when you run across some really fine ammo. You will usually get a heads up on AR15.com.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are looking for 7.62 from SA - Try Aim or AmmStore:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of__308.html
http://www.ammunitionstore.com/
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I've had my AR for about three months, and have 2800 rounds stocked up with 1k more on the way

Stacked as tall as you, that's about 6 or 7 tubs = close to 20,000 rounds, not 2,800

Here's an old pic of 6 tubs, 16,200 rounds, and you can see it's not that tall  (only have 2 left)

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I WOULD have stacked it as tall as me(6ft), I understand 2800 rounds is no where near that though. Hey i'm broke and working on it

If I could have gotten my hands on that much stuff I probably would have just stacked and shot barely any of it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I WOULD have stacked it as tall as me(6ft), I understand 2800 rounds is no where near that though. Hey i'm broke and working on it

If I could have gotten my hands on that much stuff I probably would have just stacked and shot barely any of it.

My poor reading skills.  

I bought it for shooting.    SHTF, I've got Black Hills, Q3131A and Q3131.  

25 y/o ammo is for blasting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#26]
<sigh>

I'd say that I wish I'd been a regular here when Troy warned us, but I don't think I would have listened.  Back then, I couldn't conceive of needing or using 2700 rounds of ammunition over the rest of my life.  I was ... naive.

I'd listen today.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:57:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
<sigh>

I'd say that I wish I'd been a regular here when Troy warned us, but I don't think I would have listened.  Back then, I couldn't conceive of needing or using 2700 rounds of ammunition over the rest of my life.  I was ... naive.

I'd listen today.

So................what changed?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#28]
The price went up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#29]
not needing 2700 rds of amunition over your LIFE?

Hot damn, I use 2700 in a month or two!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Im down to my last 2 cans of Malaysian M193
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I used up all my guatamalen stuff. ran outa SA long time ago. oh well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

So................what changed?

I started shooting a lot more and got a far more realistic assessment of how fast I use ammunition and how much I'd need in the foreseeable future.

That came about because I finally got through eight years of battling a lower back injury that left me bedridden for more than a year at a time three times and ultimately paralyzed below the waist.  After some emergency surgery, time in a rehab hospital, and learning to walk (for the third or fourth time), my interests revolved around making up for lost time with my shooting.  I'd gotten a taste of USPSA and 3-Gun, and now it was time to do it as much as I could afford.

Once I learned to be confident with my AR skills, I realized it was also going to be my primary defensive weapon.  That plus all the 3-Gun lead to increased demands for specific types of ammunition!

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#33]
+1 rhino...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Formerly stacked nipple high.   Now, just over 2 cases left.  

Some of us listened to Troy......  Thanks buddy

I saw that in your last ammo pic.... I was thinking... "where are all the tubs?  I only see two"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, since we are all confessing.

I was stupid.

Plain and simple.

I had the cash... but since I was new to AR's and shooting large amounts of ammo... I just bought what I needed for the short term.  As I started shooting more and more... I picked up a SA tub.  Then another.

By the time I got thru those 5400 rounds, I went to get some more.  It was long gone.  I was in the golden age of M193 for $0.11 a round, and I had no idea.  What an idiot.

Troy tried to tell us... but he was too late... and didnt stress it enough.  Personally, I blame my current ammo shortage on HIM.  He KNEW.... and he didnt try hard enough to inform us.  I am considering civil litigation against Troy at this very moment, but my lawyer has asked me not to say anything else in the matter.  We are going after his stash.  Should last me three lifetimes.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I wish I had been young enough to buy ammo, etc when it was cheap like this.
I really fear none of us will ever see 5.56 again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Look, we are still seeing .308 being imported in some quantity though there are fewer selections available now than in the near past. Hell, there is still .30-06 on the market! When was the last time you saw anyone going to war with a Garand?

There will again be .223 on the market at reasonable prices. For example, the US government nearly bought ammo from Taiwaan for use in Iraq but did not. Wonder what happened to those 300 MILLION rounds since we didn't buy them? I guess they just loaded them onto a ship and dumped them into the ocean? The whole freaking world is shooting .223 for the last 15-20 years. If we are going to have milsurp ammo of any kind I can guarantee you .223 will be one of the LAST to dry up! Sooner or later the importers will find willing sellers and a deal will be struck.

Are we in a drought right now? Sure, learn the lesson it provides. Next time it's available BUY like you will never see it again. Next time it MAY be the last time but I sure don't think it's here yet or is there something y'all aren't telling me- giant asteroid etc.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Look, we are still seeing .308 being imported in some quantity though there are fewer selections available now than in the near past. Hell, there is still .30-06 on the market! When was the last time you saw anyone going to war with a Garand?

There will again be .223 on the market at reasonable prices. For example, the US government nearly bought ammo from Taiwaan for use in Iraq but did not. Wonder what happened to those 300 MILLION rounds since we didn't buy them? I guess they just loaded them onto a ship and dumped them into the ocean? The whole freaking world is shooting .223 for the last 15-20 years. If we are going to have milsurp ammo of any kind I can guarantee you .223 will be one of the LAST to dry up! Sooner or later the importers will find willing sellers and a deal will be struck.

Are we in a drought right now? Sure, learn the lesson it provides. Next time it's available BUY like you will never see it again. Next time it MAY be the last time but I sure don't think it's here yet or is there something y'all aren't telling me- giant asteroid etc.....

I truly, truly, truly hope you are right.

Until then, I will stockpile when I can.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Troy tried to tell us... but he was too late... and didnt stress it enough.  Personally, I blame my current ammo shortage on HIM.  He KNEW.... and he didnt try hard enough to inform us.  I am considering civil litigation against Troy at this very moment, but my lawyer has asked me not to say anything else in the matter.  We are going after his stash.  Should last me three lifetimes.  

Hey, I want in on this...  We can double team him, ie hit him from both sides.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey, let's all get in on this.  It can be like "kelly's heros" and instead of the big stash of gold we can go after the ammo stockpile.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#41]
We probably should think in this way:
The amount of SA ammo is limited at that time, if we all listened to Troy and bought large amount, the SA ammo would run out much sooner. Since only few of us did that, more arfcomers can benefit from that surplus. Not too bad actually
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I feel like confessing again ... and some of you have probably read this.  It's much worse than my failure to purchase lots of SA M1A3 when I had the chance.

When I first started shooting 3-Gun back in 1995-96 or so, I did so with a borrowed AR (and shotgun) from other guys at the matches.  Naturally, I brought my own ammo, so as not to be rude.  I only got to do it maybe once or twice a year at the most.

Then I was at the local Wal*Mart and they had a "closeout" on Win USA white box Q3131.  The price was $2.00 per box of 20 rounds.  I knew it was a good buy, so I bought a whole ten boxes for myself.  Then I thought that my brother might like some too, so I went back and bought ten for him.

I thought I'd be rolling in ammo for years to come.  That was 200 rounds!  That should last forever, right?

If only I'd known then what I know now.  I'd have rented a truck and bought the entire pallet.  I'd have borrowed money to do it if I'd needed it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:14:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
We probably should think in this way:
The amount of SA ammo is limited at that time, if we all listened to Troy and bought large amount, the SA ammo would run out much sooner. Since only few of us did that, more arfcomers can benefit from that surplus. Not too bad actually

No, look at it this way:

The people that bought ammo in quantity have ammo today; the people that didn't .... don't.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:16:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

If only I'd known then what I know now.  I'd have rented a truck and bought the entire pallet.  I'd have borrowed money to do it if I'd needed it.

Now see, here is someone that has seen the light.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:32:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Okay, here's my confession:

When I was a new Lieutenant, in the spring of 1979, we were doing some orienteering exercise. As I was hustling along through the woods, there was suddenly a beam of light shining down from heaven. I could hear the voices of a multitude of angels. There before me was a helicopter sling-load of ammo. I could tell by the way the brush had grown up through it that it had been there for two or three years. The cans were rusty but intact. I marked it on my map.

I never went back. I have no excuse. There just never seemed to be an opportune time.

I've carried this load of guilt with me for years, too ashamed to speak of it. It feels like a tremendous weight has been lifted from my shoulders now that I've unburdened myself. Thank you for listening without being judgemental. *sniff*
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:00:53 AM EDT
[#47]
I bought 2 sealed "battlepacks" of SA 5.56 about 2-3 years ago and just finished off the second battlepack about a week ago.

- rem
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:46:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Part of the problem is that the UN is pushing its "global disarmament" agenda in a big way, and in some cases will pay a country more to destroy arms and ammunition than they could make by selling in bulk on the open market. So, yes, there actually have been tons of weapons and ammunition either blown up, put into the blast fuirnaces or dumped into the ocean. Don't forget that the US is pretty much the only country in the world with a large armed civilian population and the sort of commercial disbution and marketing to be able to handle large amounts of surplus ammo.

All it will take is another liberal Dem administration and the stroke of a pen and we may see the end of ALL surplus not already in the pipeline. Don't bet  it can't happen.

Get it while you can, guys!

This is also what I fear more then all. The UN global disarmament has had some pretty notable successes in certain countries with the destruction of mil supplies. SA is one of them. Once the .308 goes, I'm not so sure any more will come in as they supposedly signed onto the nonproliferation treaty. Start checking into the countries that are being strongarmed by Soros and crew. Every one that signs on drives the cost of ammo up in the long run.

I doubt that the ex com bloc countries will sign on, but it's not like a shortage of certain types can occur there, right? I look at all the great ammo that no longer shows up anymore except in smaller lots, and when it does show up, it does not last long. Or the price is nutz, as in the hirt. 308 battle packs that were selling [well, never actually SAW any sold] for $85 bucks. It might be accurate but I cannot afford it at that price. All the Korean PS 30/06 seems about out also, [KA still around] and what I saw was almost 8 bucks a box [20]. They were good lot numbers but at $400 per K, I'll pass. Same stuff I was buying for $75 per 400 not all that long ago.

And I doubt that it would take more then a stroke of a pen on a X.O. also to make TRUE SURPLUS from out of Country, banned from importation. That in itself would make the price of any remaining stuff go up and affect the US producers and the makers like Wolf  who would raise their prices because of less competition.

I hope I'm wrong as I've said before, but I gots mine, pretty much, and have spent the last several years building up my stocks. And it was a lot cheaper even a year or so ago then it is now.

Anyone seen any surp handgun ammo around lately except the winnie stuff? Except for the combloc stuff, seems as if most of it dried up in the 90s sometime. I used to see it dirt cheap years ago, didn't stock up and regretted it, heck, used to get US surplussed MATCH .45 ammo in perfect boxes for under 7 bucks [per 50] and it was GREAT stuff, very accurate, excellent brass, still have some but wish I had bought lots more. Heck, I still have Norinco .45 stuff, [750 rounds] that was as dirty as hell [sooty] but actually not to bad of stuff. I shot handguns a lot more then rifles til about a year ago, and watched the surplus market slow to a trickle, I doubt that it will ever pick up again like it was in the mid to late 80s til the 90s sometime.

Buy it when you can, it's not like it spoils or anything and if nothing more, you can always weather the spot shortages that pop up now and again.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Part of the problem is that the UN is pushing its "global disarmament" agenda in a big way, and in some cases will pay a country more to destroy arms and ammunition than they could make by selling in bulk on the open market. So, yes, there actually have been tons of weapons and ammunition either blown up, put into the blast fuirnaces or dumped into the ocean. Don't forget that the US is pretty much the only country in the world with a large armed civilian population and the sort of commercial disbution and marketing to be able to handle large amounts of surplus ammo.

All it will take is another liberal Dem administration and the stroke of a pen and we may see the end of ALL surplus not already in the pipeline. Don't bet  it can't happen.

Get it while you can, guys!

This is also what I fear more then all. The UN global disarmament has had some pretty notable successes in certain countries with the destruction of mil supplies. SA is one of them. Once the .308 goes, I'm not so sure any more will come in as they supposedly signed onto the nonproliferation treaty. Start checking into the countries that are being strongarmed by Soros and crew. Every one that signs on drives the cost of ammo up in the long run.

I doubt that the ex com bloc countries will sign on, but it's not like a shortage of certain types can occur there, right? I look at all the great ammo that no longer shows up anymore except in smaller lots, and when it does show up, it does not last long. Or the price is nutz, as in the hirt. 308 battle packs that were selling [well, never actually SAW any sold] for $85 bucks. It might be accurate but I cannot afford it at that price. All the Korean PS 30/06 seems about out also, [KA still around] and what I saw was almost 8 bucks a box [20]. They were good lot numbers but at $400 per K, I'll pass. Same stuff I was buying for $75 per 400 not all that long ago.

And I doubt that it would take more then a stroke of a pen on a X.O. also to make TRUE SURPLUS from out of Country, banned from importation. That in itself would make the price of any remaining stuff go up and affect the US producers and the makers like Wolf  who would raise their prices because of less competition.

I hope I'm wrong as I've said before, but I gots mine, pretty much, and have spent the last several years building up my stocks. And it was a lot cheaper even a year or so ago then it is now.

Anyone seen any surp handgun ammo around lately except the winnie stuff? Except for the combloc stuff, seems as if most of it dried up in the 90s sometime. I used to see it dirt cheap years ago, didn't stock up and regretted it, heck, used to get US surplussed MATCH .45 ammo in perfect boxes for under 7 bucks [per 50] and it was GREAT stuff, very accurate, excellent brass, still have some but wish I had bought lots more. Heck, I still have Norinco .45 stuff, [750 rounds] that was as dirty as hell [sooty] but actually not to bad of stuff. I shot handguns a lot more then rifles til about a year ago, and watched the surplus market slow to a trickle, I doubt that it will ever pick up again like it was in the mid to late 80s til the 90s sometime.

Buy it when you can, it's not like it spoils or anything and if nothing more, you can always weather the spot shortages that pop up now and again.

Fxntime you pretty much just summed the ammo supply situation, I am actually getting worried about what could happen if that XO was issued. But it now while you can!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
All the Korean PS 30/06 seems about out also, [KA still around] and what I saw was almost 8 bucks a box [20]. They were good lot numbers but at $400 per K, I'll pass. Same stuff I was buying for $75 per 400 not all that long ago.

Oh? I can still get it (the PS-stamped non-corrosive stuff) locally for $5.95 or less per box, retail. I just ordered a 400rd case of it from Sportsman's Guide for about $90 -- about $4.50 per box. Free shipping and all with their Buyer's Club.

In fact, I'm taking it to Frontsight with me for a Practical Rifle course I'm doing with my M1 Garand in January. It's good stuff, and it's a shame to know it'll be drying up soon, as all surplus does.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top