Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2005 8:28:32 AM EDT
Howdy guys.
We've been working this issue over a little on the 'AR Variants' forum, but it really is more appropriate to this forums purpose, so am tagging it over here now:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=257161

The issue has to do with a 'redundant' option set-up;  in this case, because we're dealing with .308's, we need a long range optic (scope), BUIS, and the third...

Here's a picture of a set-up and the way I was currently leaning towards:
pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/floydsflock/detail?.dir=/bc84&.dnm=6c93scd.jpg&.src=ph

If you look over at the discussion that we've been having, there are different opinions on the JPoint type of optic, and I was wondering if anyone had some more insight into this, as I'd like to get something put together quite quickly.
Thx,
Robert
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, good info, and it does help a bunch.
I'd like to know where you'd recommend purchasing the Doc-Opt from.  I need to do some research on these units too.  
Back to the JPoint sights for a moment, what 'brightness' option would you recommend?  They offer a 4MOA that is recommended for ranges, or night work, but is OK for most all conditions.  The other one is an 8MOA for daylight work, but OK for night time with some washout...
Robert
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Vic,
One more thing... you said:

"With Magpuls new PRS, I find my cheek-weld holds well with the new adj. cheek piece..."

I've been waiting for these to come out; where'd you get one??  Must be one of the lucky beta-testers eh?  
Robert
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
As Floydsflock pointed out, this topic has been discussed under a number of different headings, in a number of different locations, to continue,

What are some of the options out there for “Miniature Red Dot Sights” that can be mounted in combination with a scope as a backup sight?

So far we have identified:

ATN Ultra Sight Digital Compact

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/captrichardson/ARScopeSight.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/captrichardson/ScopeSightSide.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/captrichardson/ScopeSightTopReticle.jpg

Docter

JPoint

Are there any other options out there that anyone else knows about?

If you are currently using one of these “Miniature Red Dot Sights”, or another, please share your experiences:
Which one do you have?
How did you mount it?
How has the durability/reliability been?
Any other input that you think will be beneficial?

I think the idea of adding these “Miniature Red Dot Sights” as a backup to your “Primary Optics” is a great idea, unfortunately I think they are under used and there is not enough info out there on them, especially when compared to many of the other optic options out there.

A lot of good info has been brought out so far, hopefully there will be more to come.

Thanks in advance,
“Capt Richardson”
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are some other topics that are also discussing the "Miniature Red Dots":

Docter Optics Sight Mounts for Regular ACOGS(not NSN)

BUIS or JPoint ?

Whats the red dot optic I see above an ACOG?

If anyone has any additional input, experiences, questions, please jump in.

Thanks,
"Capt Richardson"
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Updated the post under the AR Variants forum on the Red Dot and Mounting Options.

Scope Mounting for DPMS LR .308

Good Luck,
"Capt Richardson"
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#9]
tagging hoping somebody posts pics of the JPoint in various placements taken from the shooter point of view...

I don't like the amount of vertical projection, but the LaRue offset dealie might be the only way.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top